Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejection help

Hey!

Recently, I got these two pictures rejected for the reason: over processed/ bad postprocessing. On the Swiss, the screener commented that there are visible editing halo’s.
    I have absolutely no clue how to solve this. Can someone help me with this so I can avoid further rejection due to this reason?
    Thanks a lot!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Hi there,

On the first image you can see some banding artefacts around the aircraft, these are clearer to see if the image is equalised:

We use equalising to help us spot potential problems in an image but if we see a problem when equalising that isn't visible unequalised then we won't reject for it, in this case you can quite clearly see the effects of the processing when viewed normally. Various processes can cause these effects such as excessive use of Curves, noise reduction, overuse of things like Clarity in Photoshop, etc. What was your workflow for this image? To suggest how to avoid it we really need to establish how it was edited so we can figure out where the problems are occuring.

On the second image, it's perhaps lacking a little contrast and might benefit from a touch of brightening but I'm really struggling to see any real reason for it to be rejected for overprocessing. Perhaps appeal that one and give it another chance to be viewed?
    Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

Thank you for your opinion on the pics!

It’s really obvious that the Swiss got rejected as I saw the equalised version. I don’t use a specific editing program as I am a beginning photographer. I use the standard software which is integrated in my iMac. All the basic tools are integratie such as sharpen tools, light, contrast, ...
      On this picture, I changed the brightness (it was darker before) and I sharpened it as suggested by a member on the pre-screening thread, the pic was soft before. That's all I did on that picture, I changed nothing on the contrast etc.

As you suggested, I appealed on the British Airways. I was a bit surprised either, we will see. I will keep you posted on the final decision.
      UPDATE: picture is still being rejected as apparently there are halo's around the aircraft. So I guess that was the final decision...

Click image for larger version

Name:	G-EUYJ eq.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	1017775

Comment

Hi, you can try this for your future shots.
        Check your camera settings and turn off totally "D-LIGHTING" function. I solved my problems with halos with my Nikon (and you have a Nikon too, I see).
        Let us know

Comment

Originally posted by pauwelsc View Post
          Thank you for your opinion on the pics!

It’s really obvious that the Swiss got rejected as I saw the equalised version. I don’t use a specific editing program as I am a beginning photographer. I use the standard software which is integrated in my iMac. All the basic tools are integratie such as sharpen tools, light, contrast, ...
          On this picture, I changed the brightness (it was darker before) and I sharpened it as suggested by a member on the pre-screening thread, the pic was soft before. That's all I did on that picture, I changed nothing on the contrast etc.

As you suggested, I appealed on the British Airways. I was a bit surprised either, we will see. I will keep you posted on the final decision.
          UPDATE: picture is still being rejected as apparently there are halo's around the aircraft. So I guess that was the final decision...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]9863[/ATTACH]
          I can recomemnd Adobe Lightroom software for photo editting. The best results you will get together with RAW farmat of your photos.

Comment

Using Adobe’s shadow/highlight tool also causes this halo effect.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

That's something I can change when I go spotting next time! Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                Using Adobe’s shadow/highlight tool also causes this halo effect.
                I don't use adobe, nor lightroom... I think I will use the tip Jimmy recommended, in combination with RAW.
                Hopefully it will be solved in the future so I can upload lots of pictures Also I will use an equaliser during my editing process so I can avoid those mistakes. As a beginning photographer, it's a bit searching how to do those things. I truly want to have more photos accepted so I will keep working on it!

Thanks for all the help!

Comment

And - unfortunately - the Clarity tool as well...

Comment

Working...
                  X