Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air Berlin pilots suspended after unnecessary go-around at Düsseldorf Airport

Jesus H Christ! You lot are asking for trouble now !!
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    No, I'm serious. If this was a perfectly safe maneuver (as it certainly seemed to be), then what's the big deal? A bit more fuel burn AB is never going to pay for? A bit more wear on an aircraft AB is giving up on? Frightened passengers AB no longer cares about?

Or is this, in fact, about safety?
    Apparently, he terrified people outside the terminal who thought he was going to crash into it. Pfft.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-n...eason-11370293

I am with Gabriel here. Executives who run an airline into the ground are not going to be happy about it. Someone showboating without permission just makes everyone dwell on the bad news more embarrassing the execs further. It sounds like it was the airline that suspended them.

Quote Originally Posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    Wait, wait, a German airport, a German airline and a German pilot but no comments from our German friend????? [***and his home airport***]
    BUT...NOT_a Lufthansa 747-800

THAT is rather critical.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    BUT...NOT_a Lufthansa 747-800

THAT is rather critical.

If I had the balls on my last flight, I could see doing that in a -8. What were they going to do, fire me?

If I had the balls on my last flight, I could see doing that in a -8. What were they going to do, fire me?
    ONLY IF YOU HAVE BEEN TRAINED IN THE PROPER PROCEDURE...Otherwise, your ability to do so, is in question...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

ONLY IF YOU HAVE BEEN TRAINED IN THE PROPER PROCEDURE...Otherwise, your ability to do so, is in question...
    As stated in my original post, that might burn a few $ of jet fuel, AND the maintenance expenses make for a couple of bucks for every minute of extra flight time...they might want to hit you with those expenses by one means or another...(fortunately, Tee Vee is somewhat anti-big-corporations, he might help you out.)

PS: I seem to recall that "go-arounds" were somewhat frowned upon at the prior employer (versus some other organizations where pilots are told to be free to go around if there is just about any meaningful doubt at all, almost-whatsoever.) (Wiggle words are important here).

Reminds me of Capt Mark Pyle who did something similar on PanAm's last flight.

Oh, I think I could handle it okay. And at Atlas, a go around was not questioned.

Oh, I think I could handle it okay.
    What do you thin would have been the answer of Atlas's Chief Pilot or Ops Director if you had asked permission to do that flyby?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    What do you thin would have been the answer of Atlas's Chief Pilot or Ops Director if you had asked permission to do that flyby?
    What do you think?

Gear-up and clean or down and configured?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Gear-up and clean or down and configured?
    What does it matter?

1. There are target airspeed ranges that are configuration-specific.

2. Believe it or not, I'm kind of black and white at thinking (as an outsider) that maintaining a healthy airspeed when low is important. (or maybe even up high too...not that DELIBERATELY stalling a stall-certified plane in a properly-executed practice maneuver is bad.)

What do you think?
    Well, some airlines do grant permission to do that kind of things.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---