LHR Spotting november 8 - tips pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LHR Spotting november 8 - tips pls

Hi, i'm planning a day trip to LHR on the 8th of november this year. I've never been there Before, does anyone have any tips for me. I'm arriving at 10 ish and leaving 21ish , got a cheapish round trip ticket ARN-LHR-ARN.

I'm thinking that spot 4 on this map will be good for me, if the wind is right. http://www.spotterguide.net/index.ph...hrow-lhr-egll/

Any other spots you recommend for photography? I wont have a car but i understand that thats not a problem. I prefer landings over departures.

Thanks /Niklas

Spot 4 good for 27L arrivals although I prefer spot 1 Myrtle Avenue. Spot 5 or 6 for 27R arrivals. If the wind reverses to coming from the East then all landings will be on 09L. Spot 9 is the place here but be careful. The instructions telling you how to get there involve technically walking on a motorway which is a good way to get arrested ! The grass bank is also technically part of the motorway. I would suggest going to the field at ground level, the one with the approach lights in it.

All the spots mentioned require a 70-300 zoom lens.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Hi, thanks. When i zoom in on the above mentioned map around spot 9 there is a brown spot marked 09L spotter location, as i understand it it's this field right, but how do i get there. The guide say that it's easiest to walk...but as u write, there´s a lot of roads to cross when walking from terminal 5, also it looks like water to cross

Comment

It is unlikely that you will be arrested for being on the Motorway slip road but the Police can ask you to move on. I'm not sure of the way from T5 to there by foot but you neeed to get to ground level and onto Welland Road and head towards the roundabout, (the one with British Airways on!), so you can stand on the grass bank to take photos. I've had Heathrow Security get funny about standing in location 5, but if you have any problems, move to location 6. Note, alot of those locations listed in the Guide will not be relevant as it will be getting dark by 4.30pm in November.

Comment

The large Chevron shaped grass bank NW from point 9 is easier to walk to from T5 and affords some good shooting points. To go from there to spot 9 you have to dodge traffic walking round a thorny blackberry bush. Remember we don't have Hogertrafik here. As the twilight grows spot 12 might provide some night shots of the northern runway. The Thistle hotel has a veranda next to their main restaurant. They may advise at reception that you can get snacks at the bar to take to the veranda. During the day this spot is "contre jour".
          --
          David dubya Wilson

Comment

Thanks, we'll see where i end up, hoping for RNW 27 usage .

@David, i've actually driven in England, this summer, LGW to Duxford, middle of the night, everyone crazy driving on the wrong side. My rental car...a Peugeot 208, manual, gear stick on the wrong side....most stressful time of my life, glad to be alive

Comment

Week commencing November 6th is scheduled for landings on 27L in the morning and 27R in the afternoon.

Comment

thanks they switch at 3pmish right?

Comment

Yes. 3pm is correct.

Comment

Hi, my last trip was canceled in the last minute, next try on the 16th, anyone know if they r planning to start on L or R? Thanx
                    Last edited by niklas; 2018-01-04, 19:06. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by niklas View Post
                      Hi, my last trip was canceled in the last minute, next try on the 16th, anyone know if they r planning to start on L or R? Thanx
                      Of which month?

You can check the runway alternation here:

Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

ah, did not know that, thanks , this month

Comment

Working...
                        X