Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Will OneWorld Fill The AirBerlin Void?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Will OneWorld Fill The AirBerlin Void?

Hi there,

With the collapse of AirBerlin, OneWorld will return to having a gap in Central Europe; London, Madrid, and Dublin more than adequately cover the Western half of Europe, but has only Finnair and S7 to cover everything on the Central and Eastern half of the continent. Helsinki's geography leaves much to be desired, and S7's Moscow operations generally cover a limited niche.

Given all this, will we see OneWorld make a concerted effort to snag a significant addition to round out coverage in Europe? As for options:

-LOT has supposedly been less than happy with it's position in Star vis a vis the Lufthansa colossus, and their growing Warsaw hub would complement the BA reasonably well, and fill out missing gaps in Eastern Europe that can't be served profitably from London (examples: Minsk, Yerevan, and Tbilisi). It could be a win/win for both entities.

-SAS is also outside of the big UA/AC/LH joint venture, and Copenhagen is also a reasonably good fit as a Central European hub as OW is going to get at this stage and offers significant connectivity to North America and Asia from Central and Eastern Europe (although Finnair covers Asia well).

-CSA is outside of the big DL/KL/AF/VS JV and Prague would offer the best location for a niche Central European hub outside of Germany. BA's LHR services would fill a big hole for them on the LHR-PRG route, and AA will be flying PHL-PRG soon as a transatlantic link.

-OneWorld could also try to pick up a few smaller niche players like Adria, Aegean, Croatia, Bulgaria Air, or Tarom and go from there.

-BA/IAG could try to build out their own operation ala Deutsche BA in BER (when it's finished), but my guess is that this is less likely than trying to woo another carrier to within the OW fold. LH Group seems to be moving quickly to fill the gap anyways.

Also you can check this infographic video

Welcome to jetphotos.

Probably until today you have missed my 'Air Berlin bankruptcy' topic. Why have I opened such a topic? - Well, for me it is sad to see that an airline which
    a) is younger than me (est. July 1978_)
    and
    b) has been so brash to almost delete one of my first impressions of aviation, the LTU Tristar, out of my mind by simply deleting the LTU

completely failed. But why. Shouldn't I be happy. Not quite. Nobody should die at the age of 39, that's a thing which I don't wish for my worst enemy. And as I said, they were very brash in 2008 when they killed LTU.

But I am an aviation enthusiast. Many German TV stations since August 2017 tried to answer the question, what was the worst mistake in the 39 years of Air Berlin?
    - Imho, they shouldn't have bought LTU. Short answer. Because since then, there existed two large groups of Air Berlin enemies:
    1. LH and 2. ex LT pilots.

And the winner is... not Air Berlin. In German, there is a word for what I feel right now: mit einem lachenden und einem weinenden Auge.

Airlines should not die at the age of 39. I rather see KL and QF as prototypes.

Who fills the gap. Well I don't think that this still is a Oneworld question, because no Oneworld airline has bought a single ex AB jet (?!).
    81 ex AB jets now belong to Star Alliance. For one or two more detail, see
    'Air Berlin bankruptcy', here on this platform.

We need a good portion of patience, that's what we need, until all 81 ex AB jets (bought by LH) are full members of Star Alliance.

PS: We always talk about alliances. But do you have a favorite airline?
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Normally I don't do that. I don't try to find out too much about dead airlines.

But Air Berlin is an exception. Today they refuse to say that they once, in 2008, were proud of DUS as their second hub (see the very often changed Air Berlin de wiki ... ).

What a lie. TXL is such an unbelievably tiny airport, so that Air Berlin once was very happy to own the landing right here at DUS!

And the PF of the last AB 7001 flight ever (MIA-DUS) also seemed very happy that he was able to fly his goodbye go around maneuvre here at DUS,
      and not at the always overstrained TXL airport!

Only two numbers concerning this tiny TXL airport:
      pax capacity - 12.000.000 - not extended since 1974
      TXL pax in 2016 - 21.253.959 !

"New Schoenefeld" will not open before 2042. When I'm 64 it is rotten without that a single passenger has seen it!

Who likes to support me with a try to delete the Air Berlin de wiki?

Instead of being proud of the help (pax capacity) from DUS... SHAME on you, Berlin!

PS: The answer "Who fills the gap in Berlin" is answered by now. Nobody, if that's the official behaviour in Berlin!
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-10-31, 00:56. Reason: when I'm 64. :-)

Comment

I don't really think there's much potential for oneworld or any other airline alliance in this situation. The market in central Europe is increasingly dominated by EasyJet, Ryanair, Wizz and a few smaller 'low cost' operators. EasyJet are already taking a substantial portion of the ex-Air Berlin short-haul fleet and flight crews. The rest of Air Berlin operations are essentially assumed by Lufthansa/Eurowings.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
          I don't really think there's much potential for oneworld or any other airline alliance in this situation. The market in central Europe is increasingly dominated by EasyJet, Ryanair, Wizz and a few smaller 'low cost' operators. EasyJet are already taking a substantial portion of the ex-Air Berlin short-haul fleet and flight crews. The rest of Air Berlin operations are essentially assumed by Lufthansa/Eurowings.
          By "Essentially assumed" you mean, that also the ex AB long haul today is owned by LH? I don't know everything either. But I try to find info. Some people indeed say that e.g.
          the ex AB 7001 (MIA-DUS) will indeed soon be flown by LH/EW, with probably exactly the same aircraft as always.

I like to add one thing to my #3 here in this thread. Jeremy Clarkson once has mentioned a phenomenon which also could happen in Berlin:
          LERL airport, permanently closed due to denial by all important European airlines...

essentially assumed
          Yes, it seems like that. But I thought that the EDDL Winter 2017 schedule already included some of these changes. How impatient we are, aren't we.
          81 jets have to be integrated. I don't envy Spohr for his job, at least not for the administrative part. As a pilot, he probably can say, this flight number is for me today. That must be extremely cool.

Comment

Working...
          X