Kyle McKinlay - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KyleMcKinlay View Post
    Thank you for the feedback! Although taken in May, that EasyJet shot was actually during a cold early morning and have plenty of other shots to show that the green wings are actually de-icer! Would it be ok otherwise?
    seems ok (no guarantees ) put a note on about the deicer) T

Comment

• How is this image? Many thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	N596FE_PHNL_1270.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	1040872

Comment

How is this image? Many thanks

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26379[/ATTACH]
        Hi Kylie, nice composition. For me the heat/softness on the starboard wing - h/stab is too much
        Regards T

Comment

• Ah, that’s a pity...even though it’s from the engine number 2? Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

• How are these two images? May I also please have feedback with regards to the last post? Thank you very much.

Name:	N403SY_KMRY_2191.jpg
Size:	376.1 KB
ID:	1040991

Name:	N227NN_KMRY_2230.jpg
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	1040992

Name:	N370HA_PHNL_1105.jpg
Size:	300.1 KB
ID:	1040993

Name:	N829MH_PHNL_1143.jpg
Size:	379.5 KB
ID:	1040994

Comment

Ah, that’s a pity...even though it’s from the engine number 2? Thanks for the feedback.
              I'm not a screener, but that's what I thought. It looks like exhaust gases

Comment

How are these two images? May I also please have feedback with regards to the last post? Thank you very much.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26519[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]26520[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]26521[/ATTACH]
                [ATTACH=CONFIG]26522[/ATTACH]
                First two have a contrast problem as the fuselage is not well lit and sort of blends in with the background. Number three and four look oversharpend to me

Comment

How are these two images? May I also please have feedback with regards to the last post? Thank you very much.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26519[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]26520[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]26521[/ATTACH]
                  [ATTACH=CONFIG]26522[/ATTACH]
                  "Ah, that’s a pity...even though it’s from the engine number 2? Thanks for the feedback."

Figured I Had answered this, seems not.
                  rejection = Heat Hazed
                  Last edited by 777MAN; 2019-07-21, 19:39.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback on the previous post. I'm having a more general editing issue, and was wondering if I could have advice please. When the same very simple edit is carried out on this image in Camera Raw 9.5 and in Lightroom separately, the histograms are very different. The Lightroom histogram shows a well exposed image, though the Camera Raw 9.5 version shows the reds being drastically blown out. I've reckoned this has caused me to do some strange edits to keep the image staying bright in the past, but I cannot find out why this difference exists. The edited image appears to be the exact same result from both programmes, though it is just very off putting of the CR9.5 which makes me think it has bad clipping.

One might say to just use Lightroom if that is the case, though the lightroom screenshot is from someone else's PC and it is only this version of Camera Raw that I use.

I'd greatly appreciate any insight as to why there is a difference between these two, so I can perhaps salvage some of my older shots that I thought were ruined due to slight clipping like this one

I've attached two screenshots, and a version of the EK 777. Would the reds be too great in this example?

Name:	Screenshot (17).jpg
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	1041329

Name:	DSC_9480.jpg
Size:	568.1 KB
ID:	1041334
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Hi Kylie,

Each time you edit, you refresh the histogram (Lightroom doesnt reflect this) . In the latest version of Photoshop histogram you will see a small (top right ) warning triangle, you must refresh it each time you do an adjustment (eye opening). Seems like small beer, but it can mean a lot on adjustments. Does that reflect what you are seeing?

PS the screenshots are too small for me (i guess anyone ) to offer comment on.

Happy send me a RAW etc.. mate

T
                      Last edited by 777MAN; 2019-07-30, 22:06.

Comment

• Hi Tony, thanks for your help with this. I did read into the histogram differences between photoshop/lightroom and found out that the issue was due to cache levels when described by most forums. However, even when both histograms are refreshed fully, they still appear to be different; the Camera Raw 9.5 version showing the red clipping. It was also tried on Camera Raw 6 which again seems to be fine with no clipping...just my version unfortunately!

I know it seems picky, and I’m not worrying specifically about this 777 image, but it is just so I know how to correct exposure in future without leading to major clipping. Is there any way to solve that? Thank you again!

Comment

Hi Tony, thanks for your help with this. I did read into the histogram differences between photoshop/lightroom and found out that the issue was due to cache levels when described by most forums. However, even when both histograms are refreshed fully, they still appear to be different; the Camera Raw 9.5 version showing the red clipping. It was also tried on Camera Raw 6 which again seems to be fine with no clipping...just my version unfortunately!

I know it seems picky, and I’m not worrying specifically about this 777 image, but it is just so I know how to correct exposure in future without leading to major clipping. Is there any way to solve that? Thank you again!
                          Hi Kylie,
                          I replied to another uploader earlier re Lightroom/Photoshop and other edit progs... You need to look at the 'grey' luminance aspect only in assessing brightness and contrast. I'm old school, Brian summed this up nicely some time back and it still stands see: https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...-or-Luminosity.

I also turn on the blinkies in the image editor (lightroom) together with left/right highlight boxes. When I screen I don't just accept the histogram, I look at outlier causal factors too i.e. sun flash, dark bushes, buildings, shadows and so on.
                          Hope that helps T

Comment

• Thank you, Tony! I've certainly managed to do a lot of reading on this topic now. So, I paid more attention to the luminosity histogram this time, but decided not to take the highlights fully to the right hand side as shown. Is this image acceptable to upload? Hopefully it's well exposed. Thank you

Name:	A6-ENM_EGPF_V3_9480.jpg
Size:	556.8 KB
ID:	1041353

Name:	Screenshot-(18).jpg
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1041354

Comment

Thank you, Tony! I've certainly managed to do a lot of reading on this topic now. So, I paid more attention to the luminosity histogram this time, but decided not to take the highlights fully to the right hand side as shown. Is this image acceptable to upload? Hopefully it's well exposed. Thank you

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26939[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]26940[/ATTACH]
                              Hi Kylie,
                              Uploading it here - could do with brightening to avoid a dark/under rejection.
                              The mids and highlights can be moved.
                              T

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback!

Comment

Working...
                                X