Kyle McKinlay - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by KyleMcKinlay View Post
    Hello! How are these images? Thank you very much, and happy spotting!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16917[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16918[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16919[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16920[/ATTACH]
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]16921[/ATTACH]
    1: OK
    2: maybe a tad soft
    3: OK
    4: seems to lack a bit shadows
    5: OK
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

• Thank you for the feedback LX-A343! Will fix 2 and 4 and get them uploaded

Comment

• Dana, you mentioned how to avoid compression by converting files to .tiff format on Wael's thread. I was wondering if you could maybe explain it a little more please? Compression is an issue in a lot of my sky shots, and I'd love to be able to fix it. Thank you!

Comment

Dana, you mentioned how to avoid compression by converting files to .tiff format on Wael's thread. I was wondering if you could maybe explain it a little more please? Compression is an issue in a lot of my sky shots, and I'd love to be able to fix it. Thank you!
          When converting to Jpeg from RAW, save as a 16-bit tiff rather than an 8-bit jepg. Do all of your editing on the tiff, and make the final step before uploading to convert to the 8-bit jepg.

Comment

• I'm using Photoshop Elements. This is my default setting to export from RAW as 16 bit, but I don't think it's a .tiff. I don't suppose that you have any idea how to? Many thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot-(6).jpg
Views:	2
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	1029035

Comment

I'm using Photoshop Elements. This is my default setting to export from RAW as 16 bit, but I don't think it's a .tiff. I don't suppose that you have any idea how to? Many thanks!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17021[/ATTACH]
              When you click on Save Image, it should give you a new window with a drop down menu with multiple options for file format. One of them will be tiff.

Comment

• Sadly that's not the case - only options are .dng and .DNG. Usually, I'd just click Open Image and continue editing it as a 16 bit. Do you recommend saving, creating a .tiff and then reopening and editing for all images? Or just the ones that tend to be worst for compression? Thanks again Dana.

Comment

Sadly that's not the case - only options are .dng and .DNG. Usually, I'd just click Open Image and continue editing it as a 16 bit. Do you recommend saving, creating a .tiff and then reopening and editing for all images? Or just the ones that tend to be worst for compression? Thanks again Dana.
                  I don't use Elements, but I would be surprised if there was no option to save as tiff from raw. DNG is just Adobe's proprietary raw format, so perhaps you're looking in the wrong place.

Comment

• Yeah...It has been very good until this issue. I've been able to save the image and reopen as a 16 bit .tidf as you have said. However, an error message appears when basic adjustments such as straightening the image are made saying that Elements cannot cope with 16 bit images. So, before I buy Photoshop CC, do you think this .tiff step is a significant improvement in reducing the compression artefacts, and is it necessary for all images or just sky ones? Also, as you have to save as a .tiff, does this not mean you essentially double the amount of 'original' images? Thank you for the help! I love how helpful the staff/members are on the forums!

Comment

Yeah...It has been very good until this issue. I've been able to save the image and reopen as a 16 bit .tidf as you have said. However, an error message appears when basic adjustments such as straightening the image are made saying that Elements cannot cope with 16 bit images. So, before I buy Photoshop CC, do you think this .tiff step is a significant improvement in reducing the compression artefacts, and is it necessary for all images or just sky ones? Also, as you have to save as a .tiff, does this not mean you essentially double the amount of 'original' images? Thank you for the help! I love how helpful the staff/members are on the forums!
                      I only use tiff files if there is a strong color or brightness gradient in the sky, and I plan to upload to JP. Otherwise simple jpeg will suffice in most other situations. Sharing on FB or IG, means there will be additional compression applied there anyway, so not much point if that's where the images are destined.

Comment

• Okay. Thanks for the help Dana!

Comment

• Hello! I decided to increase the exposure of this shot after dlowwa prescreened it a while for me and told me it was too dark. It had been rejected for colour/hue today, which I didn't agree with. I appealed and the replying admin agreed, but said noise/compression was still the issue. Do you think this could perhaps be fixable, either from the current shot, or doing a full re-edit? Thank you!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Hello! I decided to increase the exposure of this shot after dlowwa prescreened it a while for me and told me it was too dark. It had been rejected for colour/hue today, which I didn't agree with. I appealed and the replying admin agreed, but said noise/compression was still the issue. Do you think this could perhaps be fixable, either from the current shot, or doing a full re-edit? Thank you!

https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6684983
                            The image you asked to be pre-screened and the one you ended up submitting are significantly different. Whatever you did to brighten the image also greatly increased the amount of noise, which is visible over the whole of the fuselage. I suppose a better edit might yield better results, but not sure if it would be worth the effort.

Comment

• Thanks dlowwa. I'll maybe save the re-edit for a rainy day! How are these images? Thank you for your time.

Name:	N549US_KMCO_5541.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	565.7 KB
ID:	1029148

Name:	A6-ECU_KMCO_5667.jpg
Size:	776.9 KB
ID:	1029149

Name:	G-VLIP_KMCO_6431.jpg
Size:	688.0 KB
ID:	1029150

Name:	N746JB_KMCO_6561.jpg
Size:	607.4 KB
ID:	1029151

Name:	C6-BFE_KMCO_5633.jpg
Size:	585.7 KB
ID:	1029152

Comment

Thanks dlowwa. I'll maybe save the re-edit for a rainy day! How are these images? Thank you for your time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17145[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]17146[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]17147[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]17148[/ATTACH]
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]17149[/ATTACH]
                                1,2,4 and 5 all have contrast issues. 4 is also soft. 3 looks acceptable.

Comment

Working...
                                X