GPS Spoofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GPS Spoofing

I found this particularly alarming, given RNAV (GPS) and the move towards WAAS and LAAS and the GPS dependencies of EGPWS.

(I'm sorry 3WE, that's a lot of acronyms).

What is the industry doing to prevent this from leading to a Total Air Disaster?

Gurvan Le Meur was maneuvering the 37,500-tonne oil tanker Atria toward the Russian port of Novorossiysk when something odd happened. His ship disappeared.

Originally posted by Evan View Post
    What is the industry doing to prevent this from leading to a Total Air Disaster?
    They are taking all the reasonable steps.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
      Last I knew, a powerful onboard computer looked at GPS, and LORAN and VOR and ADF and INS and maybe even BS and automatically integrated and compared the whole thing so there were a couple of acronyms to back up navigation -

And the computer even drew a pink line with an arrow to go here, since pilots are too stupid to find anything without electronic assistance.

...AND...most I-phones and even some airplanes have compasses.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Meaning pretending they have no idea there ever could be a problem?
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Here are two interesting links regarding GPS outages

https://www.faa.gov/news/safety_brie...JanFeb2010.pdf

http://sapt.faa.gov/default.php

Comment

Working...
          X