Cowboy Airmanship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cowboy Airmanship

VFR Flying in Arizona and pushing the weather in a location surrounded with higher terrain. When you have time drive, when you have lots of time Fly. Flight...

An interesting video with nice views of a pretty little airplane flying through the air...LOVE the big flaps at the 40-degree setting.

Much discussion in the video comments: I do not see that the pilot made a bad decision- he checked the weather and things appeared good.

He decided to do a 180 and got back...It was disturbing to read about the snow and seriously reduced visibilities and ceilings- and how many crash reports discuss wrong weather forecasts.

In HINDSHIGHT maybe he should not have made the second takeoff of the day...of course, in hindsight, should he have made the first takeoff?

Some people commented "go with your gut". What does that mean (Ok I know what it means) but who says your gut has any accuracy at all in weather prediction (not that the weather man is great either).

They do not specify what it means that his aircraft was VFR-only. If the AI (and vacuum pump) are good, and you have a radio and a VOR, he might have had the option to declare an emergency and ask for some sort of guidance back to his home airport- and then cut loose when he encounters severe VMC. (This assumes he is IFR "competent" (a wiggle word that I'm using to mean capable of staying upright and on heading and assigned altitude))
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UA3WvH9GL8

An interesting video with nice views of a pretty little airplane flying through the air...LOVE the big flaps at the 40-degree setting.

Much discussion in the video comments: I do not see that the pilot made a bad decision- he checked the weather and things appeared good.

He decided to do a 180 and got back...It was disturbing to read about the snow and seriously reduced visibilities and ceilings- and how many crash reports discuss wrong weather forecasts.

In HINDSHIGHT maybe he should not have made the second takeoff of the day...of course, in hindsight, should he have made the first takeoff?

Some people commented "go with your gut". What does that mean (Ok I know what it means) but who says your gut has any accuracy at all in weather prediction (not that the weather man is great either).

They do not specify what it means that his aircraft was VFR-only. If the AI (and vacuum pump) are good, and you have a radio and a VOR, he might have had the option to declare an emergency and ask for some sort of guidance back to his home airport- and then cut loose when he encounters severe VMC. (This assumes he is IFR "competent" (a wiggle word that I'm using to mean capable of staying upright and on heading and assigned altitude))
    Well, he didn't start pulling his FCC circuit breakers or let his kids fly for a while, so on the historic scale of bad decision-making, I give him a 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      Well, he didn't start pulling his FCC circuit breakers or let his kids fly for a while, so on the historic scale of bad decision-making, I give him a 3.
      And, I would not expect you to note that:

-He landed with decent airspeed and not scraping anything shy of the TDZ, using no automation.
      -He did not pull up relentlessly.

I guess he had type-specific training.
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        And, I would not expect you to note that:

-He landed with decent airspeed and not scraping anything shy of the TDZ, using no automation.
        -He did not pull up relentlessly.

I guess he had type-specific training.
        - He did not decide to extend flaps during a go-around.
        - He did not decide to fly below the runway elevation.
        - He did not decide to ask anyone to pray at the first sign of trouble.

Maybe he should go to work for AirAsia. They could use a guy like that.

Comment

Hmm... it seems the phrase "what's it doing now?" can pertain to the weather too.
          Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
            Hmm... it seems the phrase "what's it doing now?" can pertain to the weather too.
            Indeed.

Still, it's a contrast of weather acting like weather versus an airplane NOT_acting like an airplane.

Comment

Working...
            X