Sad loss of Roy Halladay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad loss of Roy Halladay

The NTSB is now leading the investigation into what caused former Major League Baseball player Roy Halliday's small plane to crash, killing him Tuesday.

Flying an Icon A-5 over the Gulf of Mexico. RIP.

Circumstances of crash not yet clear. Announcement of pilot error seems a little premature, would be helpful to see some corroboration together with more info on how that determination was reached.

Optional but apparently required on US-registered models...
    Attached Files

Comment

Good low-time VFR pilots don't go VFR-over-the-top in an airplane that doesn't even have an artificial horizon.
      Disclaimer: I don't know if that is exactly what we see in the video and I of course have no clue about the cause of the crash.

Former Philadelphia Phillies pitcher Roy Halladay was killed Tuesday when the small aircraft he was in crashed into shallow waters in the Gulf of Mexico near Holiday, Florida.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Good low-time VFR pilots don't go VFR-over-the-top in an airplane that doesn't even have an artificial horizon.
        Conversely:

Wealthy, competitive, type-A personalities have sometimes shown a propensity to get in over their head with high $ aircraft and be somewhat less cautious regarding fundamental and procedural rules.
        (Disclaimer noted and largely copied for this comment)
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          BRS
          Are you ITS acting as a sock puppet?
          (Or Melissa?)
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Disclaimer: I don't know if that is exactly what we see in the video and I of course have no clue about the cause of the crash.

http://abc7news.com/sports/former-ph...crash/2614235/
            It does have an artificial horizon. And a bank indicator. All you need is a Sport Pilots License to fly it (brace yourself for more carnage) but it seems to accomodate IFR requirements for more advanced pilots.

Anyway, if it doesn't turn out to be widow-maker, I want one.

Very sad news though. I wonder if these SPL aircraft are beginning to cross a dangerous line.

Comment

***All you need is a Sport Pilots License to fly it (brace yourself for more carnage)***
              A lot of stats say that out sight seeing and burger running within 50 miles (or something like that) from your home airport is actually a good bit safer than going on 200 mile trips in heavier planes requiring an actual private license.

While I always favor more knowledge, the stats represent genuine risk exposure (with some parallels to your BRS).

Comment

It does have an artificial horizon. And a bank indicator.
                I believe the artificial horizon is optional. And what the heck is a bank indicator?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Apparently, this is a video of some "show-boating", prior to the plane hitting the water, as well as shot of the wreckage as witnesses come upon it.

Comment

Basically the same video that above, but with the voice of the person recording. I am ready to remove the disclaimer now.

Comment

I believe the artificial horizon is optional. And what the heck is a bank indicator?
                      It has something on the center display that looks like a turn and bank indicator (turn and slip if you prefer) except that it seems to lack to "ball" aspect. So I don't know what you call it.

Comment

It has something on the center display that looks like a turn and bank indicator (turn and slip if you prefer) except that it seems to lack to "ball" aspect. So I don't know what you call it.
                        To hell with the instrumentation and BRS- it is apparently equipped with a pilot-monitoring camera which the manufacturer claims 'owenership and all rights' to, along with a "you cannot sue the manufacturer" clause in the purchase agreement.

I went to Wikipedia to see if this thing is certified for aerobatic type stuff (not that it has direct relevance...there is that fundamental rule to not be doing too much extreme attitude nor relentless pull up stuff without a healthy altitude buffer).

Comment

There is no turn and bank indicator, no matter what I prefer. You have the turn and slip indicator and the turn coordinator, which are very sililar instruments although they don't indicate exactly the same thing. Notably, none of them indicates "bank" (although the turn coordinator indicates a combination of bank rate and turn rate).

And I don't see anything in the Icon panel that would be similar to that. It seems that the ones equiped with the artificail horizon have a digital representation of the ball.

Comment

There is no turn and bank indicator, no matter what I prefer. You have the turn and slip indicator and the turn coordinator, which are very sililar instruments although they don't indicate exactly the same thing. Notably, none of them indicates "bank" (although the turn coordinator indicates a combination of bank rate and turn rate).
                            https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turn_and_slip_indicator

Very first line of your Wikipedia link:

In aviation, the turn and slip indicator (T/S, a.k.a. turn and bank indicator)
                            I know your are one for accuracy in terms, but you also need to discover the world of colloquialisms. When people say 'turn and bank indicator', I'm guessing you know what they mean.

And I don't see anything in the Icon panel that would be similar to that. It seems that the ones equiped with the artificail horizon have a digital representation of the ball.
                            https://www.ainonline.com/sites/defa...amp=1457958109[/QUOTE]

Have a look at the photo. There is something similar to that. I think there may be enough instrumentation here for IFR. Would you agree?
                            Attached Files

Comment

***I think there may be enough instrumentation here for IFR.***
                              1. It appears that this happened in VMC...can we stop beating instruments to death (after my #2 below)

2. Maybe Gabie is being too technical, but you are being sloppy on this thread. While the plane has some instruments that can help you fly without visual cues vs. certified for IFR are another area of nit-pickiness. I am pretty sure that my 150 YouTube from a couple days ago had a nice set of instruments that could support all sorts of IMC flight, but it was not an IFR aircraft.

Not sure what to say on turn & bank...yeah, it TECHNICALLY does not indicate bank and it can indicate a turn with no bank at all whatsoever...

CONVERSELY...though I found it to be damn useful when practicing instrument flying with a pretend failed vacuum pump...and to provide a highly accurate way to manage bank.

Comment

Working...
                              X