Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That "perfect photograph"

Hi,

This is a question aimed specifically at the "experienced screeners" of Jet Photos.
    I am curious to know if there is such a thing as an almost "perfect photo", one which does not need any processing?
    I have been reading the various threads on the forum, and much involves "post-processing".
    Does every photo *need* post processing? Are there any photo's uploaded "as shot" from the camera?
    By this, I obviously exclude the minor things like centering, horizon, and sizing. I am referring to actual processing of the pic.

Thanks.

Yeah, it is possible. The closest i've had have been in nice sunny crisp winter lighting with my 6D and 100-400 (which is a super sharp lens) and the photos have required virtually no processing. I've had a few that have virtually needed no sharpening at all or any changes to colour, contrast or brightness. All i've had to do is literally center, crop and maybe a tiny bit of USM. Obviously also checking for dust spots. I do shoot raw though, so no in camera processing is applied to the images so they do still need an element of processing. However, i reckon if I shot JPG with the incamera processing dealing with things like sharpening then i guess it's possible. I don't really do any processing to my non aviation photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Viv Pike View Post
      Hi,

This is a question aimed specifically at the "experienced screeners" of Jet Photos.
      I am curious to know if there is such a thing as an almost "perfect photo", one which does not need any processing?
      I have been reading the various threads on the forum, and much involves "post-processing".
      Does every photo *need* post processing? Are there any photo's uploaded "as shot" from the camera?
      By this, I obviously exclude the minor things like centering, horizon, and sizing. I am referring to actual processing of the pic.

Thanks.
      If you're not including cropping, then yes, quite possible. If you've captured a high quality image in the camera, then very little to no post-processing should be necessary. Even if you included cropping/centering as editing, it would still be possible (albeit a lot harder) to get an image taken straight from the camera accepted.

Comment

Hi Viv Pike,

Short answer: yes it can be done.

The closest I've come was this one (Got an SC , shot as RAW with no editing of the brightness or contrast at all in the post processing. Just horizon rotation/cropping through Canon's DPP software, (and perhaps some auto noise reduction by the Canon DPP software while processing RAW & minor sharpening).

Here is the same scene that I uploaded to Flickr with no edit at all, just gave the original jpg image: (couldn't do that with JP since it won't allow 5000px wide photos.... maybe some day
        Warrior, Dusk (IMG_5171) by Hongming Zheng, on Flickr
        (the two aren't the exact same photo; the one I uploaded to Flickr has an aircraft on final approach, the one I uploaded to JP has it going around)

So yeah, it can be done. Good luck!

Comment

For this type of shot to be accepted here it has to be good.......and this one is very, VERY good. Well done.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
          X