Lens performance in low light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens performance in low light

Does expensive lens like Canon 70-300mm and 70-200mm perform better low light or it's depends on user how to use the lens? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by MdAmer94 View Post
    Does expensive lens like Canon 70-300mm and 70-200mm perform better low light or it's depends on user how to use the lens? Thanks in advance.
    A Canon 70-200 f/2.8 will perform f/2.8 all the way up to 200mm, but it will depend on the aperture setting you will want to use for a predetermined condition. Usually for standard side-sky-takeoff shots you will need between f/6.3 to 9 to have a complete aircraft sharp. F2.8 for a regular shot will be too closed and edges will be blurred, plus too much light will enter to the sensor, so the shutter speed will need to be higher and everything will be frozen there.

You can have those two lenses, 70-300 f4-5.6 and 70-200 f4 and if you use both at f/8, same shutter speed and iso settings, they will look pretty much the same. It will depend on the settings you apply to the camera to perform better according to your needs.

Conclusion: The lenses do help but it will depend more on your camera specs to have a better low light performance

Comment

Originally posted by MdAmer94 View Post
      Not necessarily at all. Alot of it also comes down to how well your camera body can deal with low light situations. My current camera, a 3 year old Canon 6D has been the best body i've had for low light shooting, and the way it deals with noise means i've been able to push the iso up further and get cleaner shots than i ever would be able to get with my older bodies such as my 7D. It's by no means perfect but it does a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by meneses24 View Post
        F2.8 for a regular shot will be too closed
        Low Aperture number (e.g. F2.8 ) means the aperture is open, not closed!

Comment

Originally posted by PeterB View Post
          Low Aperture number (e.g. F2.8 ) means the aperture is open, not closed!
          Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X