No announcement yet.

JPEG compression artefacts...but where?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JPEG compression artefacts...but where?

Looking for a little help on this one. Where are thee artefacts? My limited understanding suggested these occurred when trying to get the most outof a low compression image and resulted in a loss of clarity at the edges. This was a 4400 pixel image compressed to 1920. We can debate the softness, but where are the artefacts?

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks

Dave Brook
    Cambridge, Ontario

Hey

I´m not a screener but there are compression artefacts all over the place. You can find them easily when you click on "check for dust" but they are visible when you look at the photo without equalizing tool too.
    Nice Picture btw.

Hope that helps, have a nice day.
    Best Regards from Germany,
    Julian S.​

Comment

The sky is bit blotchy and the aircraft is soft, this tends to be more problem of compression than of pure softness. It does not necessarily have to be caused by jpg compression, noise reduction filters create similar effects.

Comment

I can't remember if I used noise reduction except to the RAW file, and even there, just marginally. Perhaps I'll go back to square 1 and have another go, or maybe a different frame and see if it's any better; a rather frustrating predicament.

Thanks

Dave Brook
        Cambridge, Ontario

Comment

Thanks; rather frightening actually when you look at it

Dave Brook
          Cambridge, Ontario

Comment

Working...
          X