Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pkautzsch - Editing Advice

Dear screener community,

since signing on JP, getting 100% rejects in the beginning, I'm trying to learn how to get my photos right the first time. Obviously some of it is monitor related, some is experience related, some is probably just not quite knowing what a rejection reason actually means. For example I keep getting "dark/underexposed" rejects even when the histogram shows content from the very left to the very right.

Now I found there is this editing advice forum, so let's jump to the chance to improve and to save all you screeners a bit of time.

The first candidate is this one: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6185924, rejected for "dark".
    The histogram to me looks correct, I did a bit of Gamma correction. Would this new version be accepted?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	7998_D-AIHZ.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	1045136

Also,pictures like this one https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6185889 keep getting rejected for "dark" and "contrast". I do see the noise issue with the sky here now.
    Again, the histogram has no gaps on either side though I see that most of the content is on the darker side. Well, the sky *was* dark in reality, that's what - to me - makes the interesting atmosphere, together with the sun glares in the windows. Would this slight brightening the midtones and shadows be sufficient:

Name:	7806_HB-JOW.jpg
Size:	347.8 KB
ID:	1045137

or rather like this https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6185893 (rejected) with just the sky brightened (did more sharpening too):

Name:	7842_9H-AEI_2.jpg
Size:	315.6 KB
ID:	1045138

Thanks in advance

Originally posted by pkautzsch View Post
    Dear screener community,

since signing on JP, getting 100% rejects in the beginning, I'm trying to learn how to get my photos right the first time. Obviously some of it is monitor related, some is experience related, some is probably just not quite knowing what a rejection reason actually means. For example I keep getting "dark/underexposed" rejects even when the histogram shows content from the very left to the very right.

Now I found there is this editing advice forum, so let's jump to the chance to improve and to save all you screeners a bit of time.

The first candidate is this one: https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6185924, rejected for "dark".
    The histogram to me looks correct, I did a bit of Gamma correction. Would this new version be accepted?
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11273[/ATTACH]

Also,pictures like this one https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6185889 keep getting rejected for "dark" and "contrast". I do see the noise issue with the sky here now.
    Again, the histogram has no gaps on either side though I see that most of the content is on the darker side. Well, the sky *was* dark in reality, that's what - to me - makes the interesting atmosphere, together with the sun glares in the windows. Would this slight brightening the midtones and shadows be sufficient:
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11274[/ATTACH]

or rather like this https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6185893 (rejected) with just the sky brightened (did more sharpening too):
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]11275[/ATTACH]

Thanks in advance
    1. both slightly dark, though the second is a bit better
    2. still too dark, and also would be rejected for noise. also the background/foreground is much more blurry than one would expect for f/13 150mm, even on a full frame
    3. exposure looks better, but the contrast still a bit harsh

Comment

Thank you!
      The 346 is in the queue after more brightening.

Comment

Would these have a chance to pass?
        All would be Night Shot for the low sun, I guess? The 25 Years sticker on the Antonov: Special Scheme?

Name:	9199_ra-820476zz6w.jpg
Size:	672.0 KB
ID:	1020492

Name:	9268_yr-bmfcwscv.jpg
Size:	605.5 KB
ID:	1020493

Name:	9218_lx-diow8s82.jpg
Size:	675.0 KB
ID:	1020491

Thank you for the pre-screening time you take!
        Last edited by pkautzsch; 2017-11-27, 15:18. Reason: image tag confusion

Comment

an124 : a bit too soft - special scheme yes
          Blue Air : ok
          BBJ : probably too much heat haze

Regards
          Alex

Comment

Thank you Alex

Comment

"Bad Color" rejects

Hi, I got a few "bad color" rejects all from the same batch, apparently some general error. Could someone please tell me if that's a color tint or under saturation issue - not quite sure. For example:
              JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

From another batch with obviously not the same kind of bad color:
              https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6260887 - is this over saturated or too much of reddish evening glow?

Thanks in advance

Comment

"Bad Color" rejects

Hi, I got a few "bad color" rejects all from the same batch, apparently some general error. Could someone please tell me if that's a color tint or under saturation issue - not quite sure. For example:

From another batch with obviously not the same kind of bad color:
                https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6260887 - is this over saturated or too much of reddish evening glow?

Thanks in advance
                There's definitely a greeny/yellow tint going on.

Comment

Tweaked a bit. Would this (http://abload.de/image.php?img=9484_hb-izb_nbfouy.jpg) be ok?

Comment

Too many pop-up ads, sorry. Next time just attach the photo to your post.

Comment

Another few doubts here.

Borderline weather conditions, any chance? Would these categorize as "night shot"...?

1. never before seen her this dirty

Name:	0077_HS-TGG.jpg
Size:	747.5 KB
ID:	1021473

2. - smoky late TD, therefore aircraft to the left - OK?

Name:	9990_SU-GEJ.jpg
Size:	894.0 KB
ID:	1021472

Later, hard sunlight with dark clouds in background. Contrast ok or too much?

Name:	0344_I-ADJU.jpg
Size:	771.1 KB
ID:	1021474

Name:	0243_A6-EOZ.jpg
Size:	840.1 KB
ID:	1021475

Anything else I missed?

Bad color reject, worked some more on that one

Name:	9484_HB-IZB_n.jpg
Size:	932.7 KB
ID:	1021476

Thank you once more for your valuable pre-screening time

Comment

Another few doubts here.

Borderline weather conditions, any chance? Would these categorize as "night shot"...?

1. never before seen her this dirty
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]12687[/ATTACH]

2. - smoky late TD, therefore aircraft to the left - OK?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]12686[/ATTACH]

Later, hard sunlight with dark clouds in background. Contrast ok or too much?
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]12688[/ATTACH]
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]12689[/ATTACH]

Anything else I missed?

Bad color reject, worked some more on that one
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]12690[/ATTACH]

Thank you once more for your valuable pre-screening time
                        1. contrast
                        2. contrast, borderline clutter/obstruction
                        3. cut off
                        4. ok
                        5. ok

Comment

Thank you!

Will one of these versions work on the Thai?

1. contrast increased a little

Name:	0077_HS-TGG_more_contrast.jpg
Size:	806.5 KB
ID:	1021503

2. contrast increased more

Name:	0077_HS-TGG_much_more_contrast.jpg
Size:	825.0 KB
ID:	1021504

Or would it need even more? Starts looking overprocessed then...

Comment

Thank you!

Will one of these versions work on the Thai?

1. contrast increased a little
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]12721[/ATTACH]

2. contrast increased more
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]12722[/ATTACH]

Or would it need even more? Starts looking overprocessed then...
                            First is better, but still borderline for the marginal overall light.

Comment

Freebird "golden" tail: does this one need "special scheme" category?
                              Asking because their aircraft all have different tail colors - same question would apply to a few other airlines too, Norwegian or Alaska come to mind.

Name:	9384_TC-FBH.jpg
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	1021651

Comment

Working...
                              X