Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kauai and LAX spotting

Hi

I知 in Kauai from 30/11 to 5/12 wondering if anyone has practical advice/ views on taking photos images of aircraft at LIH?

secondly I知 in LAX for one night at the embassy suites south arriving late from LIH on the 5/12 leaving tea time on the 6/12. From what I can see here and elsewhere Imperial Hill is a possibility for the 6th dec?
    really appreciate any tips/ advice
    T

Hello.

Unfortunately, I do not know a lot about photo areas at Lihue, but I do know some good spots at LAX. I am from the LAX area and yes, Imperial Hill on the south side of the airport would be a great spot to take photos of planes taking off and taxiing to their gates, especially in the evening and early morning because there will likely be less heat haze for shots of planes on the ground. Near Imperial Hill also has the Flight Path Learning Center along Imperial Highway which is right on the tarmac, pretty close to the runways and sometimes has large planes parked right in front of it. You will be able to see whether there is a plane or not when you drive by. It is free to enter, and they have a lot of old aviation-related stuff to look at. They will usually let you outside to take pictures and/or go inside the old DC-3 they have sitting on the tarmac. The only problems are that they are only open for a couple hours a day, since it is run by volunteers, and they will not let you stand outside forever, since they have to be outside as well for security purposes. Also, pictures of takeoffs and landings from there tend to have a lot of heat haze since you are on ground level and the planes are not super close to you. Therefore, I would only recommend going there if you want to see the old aviation stuff or there is a plane sitting right in front, since you can get pretty good shots of them. In addition to those, there is also a park right next to a fast-food restaurant called In-In-Out at the north side of the airport at the intersection of Sepulveda Blvd and Lincoln Blvd where you can watch planes arrive, flying almost directly overhead. That spot is good at any time, since you are so close to the planes. However, photos are backlit from the park area but luckily you can just walk to the corner of the intersection of Sepulveda Blvd and Lincoln Blvd to stand directly under approaches or continue walking down the sidewalks along Sepulveda Blvd to get to the other side of the planes for better light. The direct approach shots look especially nice in the evenings with sun being almost completely behind you. Another good spot to watch touchdowns on the north side can be found by parking around the In-In-Out and walking along Westchester Pkwy until you get to the east side of the bridge that goes over Lincoln Blvd. The only downside to this spot is that it will be backlit when you are there, since it is winter, and it is quite a long walk. Therefore, I would recommend you spend most of your time either at Imperial Hill, the Flight Path Learning Center, or the In-In-Out park area because those places will allow for the best photos at this time of year. Lastly, there is the Proud Bird Restaurant/Museum, a fancier restaurant than the In-In-Out, on Aviation Blvd where you can watch planes land on the south runways. You can get to the viewing area without paying, and it usually has good enough light all day.

Here are some examples of the spots:

Imperial Hill:
    B-2027. Boeing 777-F1B. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

N156DL. Boeing 767-3P6(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

In-In-Out:
    EY171 from AUH. A6-LRE. Boeing 777-237LR. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

B-6136. Airbus A380-841. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Flight Path Learning Center:
    Delivered November 7, 2017 to the airline. Ex American Airlines 767-323(ER), N382AN.. N399CM. Boeing 767-323(ER)(BDSF). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

N6710E. Boeing 757-232. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Proud Bird:
    N724SK. Bombardier CRJ-701ER. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

N308UP. Boeing 767-34AF(ER). JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Hope this helps! If you have any more questions I can do my best to answer them.

Comment

Thank you very much Nathan for the detailed response very helpful.

I’m looking forward to it very much and shall make good use of your suggestions
      T

Comment

Working...
      X