ICAO concludes audit of India's aviation sector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ICAO concludes audit of India's aviation sector

he UN aviation watchdog ICAO has concluded its audit of the country's aviation sector and according to preliminary feedback it was "satisfied" with the regulatory mechanism, the government said today.

A five-member audit team of the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) was in India between November 6 and November 16 as part of its universal safety oversight audit programme.

The team appraised six different areas, including personnel licencing, airworthiness, operations, legislation and organisation.

The team members visited Chennai, Mumbai and that Civil Aviation Training College in Allahabad to inspect implementation of safety procedures laid down by the ICAO and India's aviation regulatory body Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).

"As per preliminary feedback, the audit team was satisfied with the safety system put in place by the safety regulator," according to a statement issued by the Ministry of Civil Aviation.

The audit involved verification of response provided by the DGCA to certain protocol questions sent by the ICAO.

The ICAO audit carries a lot of weight globally and is crucial for India's aviation sector, which has emerged as one of the fastest growing domestic aviation markets in the world.

To ensure that global aviation safety measures are complied with, the ICAO regularly carries out the universal safety oversight audit of its member states.
    After an audit in 2012, the ICAO had placed India in its list of 13 worst-performing nations. Subsequently, a similar exercise carried out in 2014 by the US regulator Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) downgraded India's aviation safety ranking, bringing it below Pakistan and on par with countries such as Ghana, Barbados and Bangladesh.

As a result, Indian airlines were not allowed to add new routes to the US or sign commercial agreements with US airlines during this period.

The rating was restored to the top category in 2015, when India reportedly scored better than the global average in airworthiness, air navigation services, operations and licensing.

- PTI

Had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
      Had to check my calendar to make sure it wasn't April 1.
      (Smartass off topic comment aimed at moderators deleted. Don’t do it again LH-B744. You are really sailing very close to the wind.)

Back on topic. The ICAO bureau for this planet is in Montreal, Canada. So, as you, ATLcrew, I try to understand why Canada would be interested in harassments towards another Star Alliance member... Imho, all Star Alliance members are always a pleasure to read here at jetphotos.

For those who need further explanation, I've just tried to compare Air Canada (Montreal) to Air India (Star Alliance).

I don't have a clue. The only thing that I can say is, Air India has been and is always welcome in Germany.

PS: As the word "safety" has been mentioned by the threadstarter... I don't give much on statistics until I have proved them personally, so, what's worth the jacdec safety index 2016.. Alitalia #38, Air India #39, Air France #40, ...
      Kingfisher, btw, does no longer exist because they were not able to get a license for international flights? As long as I am a member of jetphotos, imho the standards in India for international flights are pretty strong.

So, I don't have a clue, why the ICAO did something like that. Btw, greetings to Mumbai. Again not a short answer. Sorry...
      Last edited by brianw999; 2017-12-01, 05:49. Reason: Both are Star Alliance. So, what happened?
      The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
      The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
      And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
      This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

They are talking about the India's aviation sector, not Air India, or any particular airline, or even India's airlines in general.

The team appraised six different areas, including personnel licencing, airworthiness, operations, legislation and organisation.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
          They are talking about the India's aviation sector, not Air India, or any particular airline, or even India's airlines in general.
          I know that the ICAO is a worldwide organization. Aren't they responsible for the four letter codes? There sit the people, who indeed say
          EDDL instead of Lohausen,
          KLAX instead of Los Angeles International,
          and
          SAEZ instead of ... !

Btw, can it be true that the last two ICAO codes are not linked with a nonstop flight? I've heard something like that through the grapewine. Good, that at least two men know where the nonstop flights are...

And yes, I think that I've understood what you tried to tell me. But nevertheless, for me (and for ATLcrew?) it still seems like an insult.

You seem like a man who is born in Argentina. I don't know details about Argentina which go further than my avatar...

But, let me tell you why ATLcrew and me wonder what has happened near CYUL.... The Bundesamt für Luftfahrt, Braunschweig is responsible in Germany for aviation safety.
          In the USA, the FAA and the NTSB take care. In France, it is the BEA. And in India, they also take care. If that weren't the case, I'd have told you about a problem in India since 2008.

I don't know much about Aerolineas Argentinas (AR), but you can bet, I rather trust domestic agencies (how about you?), although since I am a jetphotos member, I only can say the best about the French BEA!
          I know that the European aviation sector in general, if that is big enough for you, not always is determined by European agencies. It is a matter of trust.

And imho, it still is a matter of tradition. Greg Feith has my trust, not only since he wrote the death certificate for John Fitzgerald Kennedy Junior, back then in 1999. And the NTSB still rather is responsible for Boeing flights (again, see Greg Feith).

But the ICAO? I've never heard something bad about it. So, what has happened? Has India insulted Canada? I don't think so.

You see me rather helpless with this question, like ATLcrew. Again, not a short answer, sorry.
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

I trust some local agencies more than others. I trust some international organizations more than others.
            For example, I trust the NTSB more than the UNESCO, and the ICAO more than the civil aviation agency of India (or Argentina)

Aerolineas Argentinas is audited by the ANAC (Agencia Nacional de Aviación Civil) and by the FAA, because it is an FAA-authorized repair station. It also has the IOSA audit (done by an audit board endorsed by IATA) every 2 years. And of course, by SkyTeam. Other than that, it has not had a single fatal accident since 1970 with an Avro 748. I am tempted to say that they have not had a fatal accident since the Jet era, except that in 1962 they crashed a Comet. What this paragraph has to do with the thread is beyond me.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
            X