Near Miss of Singapore Airline A350XWB at Mumbai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Thought y’all just passed a big safety audit?
    The airport has nothing to do with the incedent

Comment

Originally posted by janamparikh View Post
      The airport has nothing to do with the incedent
      I thought the incident was because the airport was next to an airport with a very close and aligned runway...so maybe the airport has something to do with the incident?
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I thought the incident was because the airport was next to an airport with a very close and aligned runway...so maybe the airport has something to do with the incident?

Oh that has never happened before! Atlas Jabara Colorado a couple of years ago in the Dream Lifter, South West a few weeks later (I don't remember where) and countless others. You are absolutely right 3WE!

Comment

Good afternoon, for all those jp members in Florida (post #18_)!

And a good Tuesday for men who don't publish which intl airport is next to them... (post #17)..

I like to second what you say. Juhu airport, that airport name almost sound like a joke, in German (if I had a red nose and a Sinterklaas cap on).

Afaik, I am not allowed to publish the EDDL IFR sheets. But only so far, these sheets contain at least one (very) small airport

which definitely must not be confused with EDDL... As I said before, I know almost nothin about the A359. But I hope that, if an A359 is not able to distinguish between Juhu and Sahar by itself (intelligent a/c?!), the PF, or at least the Flight Captain on board has to take care that this distinction is made correctly, inflight.

Why do I say this. Well, VABB is such a very very very classic airport. It is used by, Canada, France, Japan, Great Britain, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Thailand, the United States of America, Singapore, Switzerland, Germany, ...

And I have used it so very often in the simulator. So I almost can't imagine how VABB with its almost unique combination of Terminals and rwys can be confused: the 09/27 intercontinental is crossed by the shorter 14/32, and - now my private simulator handbook is speakin - north of the 09 at the end of the rwy there is the new Terminal 2, the twys are to the left. The Terminal 1 is only domestic.

Btw, what has just confused me for more than 2 minutes, by far not all aerial images of VABB show the orientation which you ALWAYS find on street maps: North is top!
          This especially is true for the aerial image which is used in en wikipedia:
          In the lower left corner, it is the rwy 09!

And if you don't know it better, trust handbooks of pilots who've been there (as I do).

PS: Does Juhu have such an (almost) unique or unique Terminal 2? I don't think so. And what do I get if I ask the B744 fmc for the VABB 09 rwy.. I'd guess that I'll get the VABB 09 rwy and not somethin else, but
          the A359 is brandnew, and I know almost nothin about it... I don't wanna sound arrogant, but.. show me the aerial image of Sahar which is used by en wikipedia, even with this quite strange orientation, and - I am not 100% sure but more than 90 % - I'll give you VABB as the result, even without the four letter code or the airport name.

Imho, Sahar is so unique that it can be identified even without an on board flight computer, good visibility assumed.

And who'll tell me how this very short answers are made?
          Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-12-12, 23:54. Reason: :_) .. as always.
          The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
          The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
          And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
          This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
            Oh that has never happened before! Atlas Jabara Colorado a couple of years ago in the Dream Lifter, South West a few weeks later (I don't remember where) and countless others. You are absolutely right 3WE!
            And these are 2 examples for Sahar Intl airport? I only ask, because I don't know. I also assume that something like that has happened before.

Comment

I know that there are jp members who regularly try to kick my a**.

But I have another thought how something like that should rather not have happened.

SQ is again, a very very very classic airline. So, I can't believe that neither the flyin chief on board (i.e. the Flight Captain) nor the so called F/O hadn't known how VABB looks like if we fly the VABB 09. That belief even becomes stronger if we take into account that SQ, in contrast to my nickname, flies to Sahar with something like a 280 or 300 heading.
              Thus, SQ has to fly something like a U-turn to land on the VABB 09, in contrast to my nickname. And I trust SQ, they know how something like that has to be done.

But what if, and I apologize for this suspicion, the atc was not available for radar vectoring during that A359 was on final? Almost impossible imho, such problems only occur in computer simulator (games), known as the atc dll problem...

PS: There again is a solution. Be prepared. Use ATIS and use your on board flight computer. Use TCAS. Afaik, the atc will not use rwys which completely differ from that. Although I don't know if I'd react the same way as in the simulator, in case that atc does not answer: feed the fmc with ILS, and join the line.
              But I also know 1 airport where that can give you strange results, for long haul pilots without local knowledge. At Rhein/Main, I regularly have to correct the atc dll, from 07L to 07R ...
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-12-13, 01:30. Reason: We try to find solutions.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                I know that there are jp members who regularly try to kick my a**.

But I have another thought how something like that should rather not have happened.

SQ is again, a very very very classic airline. So, I can't believe that neither the flyin chief on board (i.e. the Flight Captain) nor the so called F/O hadn't known how VABB looks like if we fly the VABB 09. That belief even becomes stronger if we take into account that SQ, in contrast to my nickname, flies to Sahar with something like a 280 or 300 heading.
                Thus, SQ has to fly something like a U-turn to land on the VABB 09, in contrast to my nickname. And I trust SQ, they know how something like that has to be done.

But what if, and I apologize for this suspicion, the atc was not available for radar vectoring during that A359 was on final? Almost impossible imho, such problems only occur in computer simulator (games), known as the atc dll problem...

PS: There again is a solution. Be prepared. Use ATIS and use your on board flight computer. Use TCAS. Afaik, the atc will not use rwys which completely differ from that. Although I don't know if I'd react the same way as in the simulator, in case that atc does not answer: feed the fmc with ILS, and join the line.
                But I also know 1 airport where that can give you strange results, for long haul pilots without local knowledge. At Rhein/Main, I regularly have to correct the atc dll, from 07L to 07R ...
                What?

Comment

Yes but the length is huge of CSIA compated to Juhu. Also, Juhu Airport doesn't have an ILS. It's a complate visual approach.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                    Good afternoon, for all those jp members in Florida (post #18_)!

And a good Tuesday for men who don't publish which intl airport is next to them... (post #17)..

I like to second what you say. Juhu airport, that airport name almost sound like a joke, in German (if I had a red nose and a Sinterklaas cap on).

Afaik, I am not allowed to publish the EDDL IFR sheets. But only so far, these sheets contain at least one (very) small airport

which definitely must not be confused with EDDL... As I said before, I know almost nothin about the A359. But I hope that, if an A359 is not able to distinguish between Juhu and Sahar by itself (intelligent a/c?!), the PF, or at least the Flight Captain on board has to take care that this distinction is made correctly, inflight.

Why do I say this. Well, VABB is such a very very very classic airport. It is used by, Canada, France, Japan, Great Britain, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, Thailand, the United States of America, Singapore, Switzerland, Germany, ...

And I have used it so very often in the simulator. So I almost can't imagine how VABB with its almost unique combination of Terminals and rwys can be confused: the 09/27 intercontinental is crossed by the shorter 14/32, and - now my private simulator handbook is speakin - north of the 09 at the end of the rwy there is the new Terminal 2, the twys are to the left. The Terminal 1 is only domestic.

Btw, what has just confused me for more than 2 minutes, by far not all aerial images of VABB show the orientation which you ALWAYS find on street maps: North is top!
                    This especially is true for the aerial image which is used in en wikipedia:
                    In the lower left corner, it is the rwy 09!

And if you don't know it better, trust handbooks of pilots who've been there (as I do).

PS: Does Juhu have such an (almost) unique or unique Terminal 2? I don't think so. And what do I get if I ask the B744 fmc for the VABB 09 rwy.. I'd guess that I'll get the VABB 09 rwy and not somethin else, but
                    the A359 is brandnew, and I know almost nothin about it... I don't wanna sound arrogant, but.. show me the aerial image of Sahar which is used by en wikipedia, even with this quite strange orientation, and - I am not 100% sure but more than 90 % - I'll give you VABB as the result, even without the four letter code or the airport name.

Imho, Sahar is so unique that it can be identified even without an on board flight computer, good visibility assumed.

And who'll tell me how this very short answers are made?
                    I agree to this. It's easily identified when you come in to approach be it from any of the runway. Wonder what cause this.

Comment

Originally posted by janamparikh View Post
                      I agree to this. It's easily identified when you come in to approach be it from any of the runway. Wonder what cause this.
                      P.F.M.!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                        P.F.M.!
                        Pilot F#cked-up Monumentally?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                          Pilot F#cked-up Monumentally?
                          Pure F*****g Magic!

Comment

Working...
                          X