Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Near Miss of Singapore Airline A350XWB at Mumbai

I know that there are jp members who regularly try to kick my a**.

But I have another thought how something like that should rather not have happened.

SQ is again, a very very very classic airline. So, I can't believe that neither the flyin chief on board (i.e. the Flight Captain) nor the so called F/O hadn't known how VABB looks like if we fly the VABB 09. That belief even becomes stronger if we take into account that SQ, in contrast to my nickname, flies to Sahar with something like a 280 or 300 heading.
    Thus, SQ has to fly something like a U-turn to land on the VABB 09, in contrast to my nickname. And I trust SQ, they know how something like that has to be done.

But what if, and I apologize for this suspicion, the atc was not available for radar vectoring during that A359 was on final? Almost impossible imho, such problems only occur in computer simulator (games), known as the atc dll problem...

PS: There again is a solution. Be prepared. Use ATIS and use your on board flight computer. Use TCAS. Afaik, the atc will not use rwys which completely differ from that. Although I don't know if I'd react the same way as in the simulator, in case that atc does not answer: feed the fmc with ILS, and join the line.
    But I also know 1 airport where that can give you strange results, for long haul pilots without local knowledge. At Rhein/Main, I regularly have to correct the atc dll, from 07L to 07R ...
    Last edited by LH-B744; 12-13-2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: We try to find solutions.
    A new year, for all of us. But (not only) for me, it'll be a special year. Four decades in life, still this winter. And almost ten years here on this brilliant platform.

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. Almost a decade here on this platform.

Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    I know that there are jp members who regularly try to kick my a**.

But I have another thought how something like that should rather not have happened.

SQ is again, a very very very classic airline. So, I can't believe that neither the flyin chief on board (i.e. the Flight Captain) nor the so called F/O hadn't known how VABB looks like if we fly the VABB 09. That belief even becomes stronger if we take into account that SQ, in contrast to my nickname, flies to Sahar with something like a 280 or 300 heading.
    Thus, SQ has to fly something like a U-turn to land on the VABB 09, in contrast to my nickname. And I trust SQ, they know how something like that has to be done.

But what if, and I apologize for this suspicion, the atc was not available for radar vectoring during that A359 was on final? Almost impossible imho, such problems only occur in computer simulator (games), known as the atc dll problem...

PS: There again is a solution. Be prepared. Use ATIS and use your on board flight computer. Use TCAS. Afaik, the atc will not use rwys which completely differ from that. Although I don't know if I'd react the same way as in the simulator, in case that atc does not answer: feed the fmc with ILS, and join the line.
    But I also know 1 airport where that can give you strange results, for long haul pilots without local knowledge. At Rhein/Main, I regularly have to correct the atc dll, from 07L to 07R ...
    What?