Thread: Near Miss of Singapore Airline A350XWB at Mumbai

Post Near Miss of Singapore Airline A350XWB at Mumbai

Singapore Airlines SQ422 on the way frm Singapore to Mumbai mistakenly made approach to land at Juhu Aerodrome (a small training and helicopter airport) at Mumbai while ATC cleared him for ILS approach on RW09 at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport, Mumbai.

The 2 runways are separated about 0.8nm which is published as caution internationally to all pilots. The aircraft made a Go around and a serious incident was averted. Mumbai has a history of similar mistake by Japan Airlines (JAL) Boeing 707 in 70s era.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-12-04-PHOTO-00005094.jpg 
Views:	1745 
Size:	318.1 KB 
ID:	11754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2017-12-04-PHOTO-00005095.jpg 
Views:	1780 
Size:	201.2 KB 
ID:	11755

Thought y’all just passed a big safety audit?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Quote Originally Posted by janamparikh View Post
    Mumbai has a history of similar mistake by Japan Airlines (JAL) Boeing 707 in 70s era.

So, two incidents in 40+ years? That's quite a history...

ATC cleared him for ILS approach on RW09
    That is a serious deviation from the ILS.

The airline statement read: "Singapore Airlines SQ422, an Airbus A350, operating from Singapore to Mumbai on 04 December, was scheduled to land on Runway 09 at Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport at 1035hrs (local time). Due to poor visibility conditions, the crew discontinued the approach to Runway 09 at approximately 1000 feet, in accordance with standard operating procedures. Air Traffic Control Mumbai then vectored the flight for a subsequent approach onto Runway 09 and the flight landed uneventfully at 1048hrs (local time). At no time did the pilots of SQ 422 mistake Juhu airport as Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport."

The airline statement read: "Due to poor visibility conditions, the crew discontinued the approach to Runway 09 at approximately 1000 feet, in accordance with standard operating procedures."
    That's a strange standard operating procedure. If I am in IFR (and if I was rated for IFR), I am not discontinuing a hand-flown NDB approach at 1000 ft do to poor visibility in the Piper Tomahawk. Let alone a precision approach being flown by the arguably best autopilot ever, capable of landing in zero-zero conditions. Unstable approach perhaps?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    That's a strange standard operating procedure. If I am in IFR (and if I was rated for IFR), I am not discontinuing a hand-flown NDB approach at 1000 ft do to poor visibility in the Piper Tomahawk. Let alone a precision approach being flown by the arguably best autopilot ever, capable of landing in zero-zero conditions. Unstable approach perhaps?
    DH is going to be around 200' there. That's nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    DH is going to be around 200' there. That's nonsense.
    Don’t you mean Minimum decision height ? You don’t have to wait until 200 feet to instigate a go around.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

View of the area concerned..... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0B5C2836-44E4-468D-845A-579B719E2343.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	11806

Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    Don’t you mean Minimum decision height ? You don’t have to wait until 200 feet to instigate a go around.
    No, but you need to have a reason to. When approaching a modern aerodrome with high-intensity approach lighting and ILS, in an A350, not having the runway in sight at 1000' doesn't seem like much of a reason.

Having buggered the thing by ignoring the instruments and establishing yourself visually on the wrong airport seems like a very good reason though.

For interest, here’s a google earth view of the area.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83D53B13-2071-4C70-BF88-24D6B925EF5B.jpg 
Views:	23 
ID:	11813Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83D53B13-2071-4C70-BF88-24D6B925EF5B.jpg 
Views:	23 
ID:	11813

Oha. Who let the dogs out?
    One evening, not long ago, I watched TV and I wondered what you will possibly do after you've lost one parent. Strange question, why did I wonder. You will possibly be annoyed because he will miss so many happenings which you liked to show him. But after you somehow have regained your countenance, you will also join again people who you don't know. Stay strong, Jimmy.

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    Hm. I had a similar discussion with Gabriel. I don't think that India has a safety problem. But, ... as in this case, the "problem" approached on board an international flight, the domestic ATC can't do much more than.. clearing the correct VABB rwy for such a SQ-A359.

I always try to compare it to the EDDL winter schedule 17/18. Here we also are the host for a SQ-A359, at least three times a week.

So what's the problem. Is EDDL better when it comes to communication of airfields that mustn't be confused with EDDL?
    The A359 is brandnew, not only for SQ... But Chhatrapati Shivaji is a VERY classic airport. VABB is an airport that imho is on board in every cockpit, worldwide, isnt't it?
    One evening, not long ago, I watched TV and I wondered what you will possibly do after you've lost one parent. Strange question, why did I wonder. You will possibly be annoyed because he will miss so many happenings which you liked to show him. But after you somehow have regained your countenance, you will also join again people who you don't know. Stay strong, Jimmy.

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years.

Apparently we had a plane mix up right and left runways in New Yark this week.

As in this case, the go around was accomplished in spite of underslung engines and somatographic illusions.

And back to an early Gabie post... was this really mistaken identity, or was it maybe just an out of whack approach with a precautionary go around?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

I am wondering from where did the sun come in picture on that day. It was cloudy the whole day and a potential cyclone was going to hit Mumbai within the next 48 hours. Still figuring out what went wrong in the flight deck. The best way to confirm this would be ATC recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    No, but you need to have a reason to. When approaching a modern aerodrome with high-intensity approach lighting and ILS, in an A350, not having the runway in sight at 1000' doesn't seem like much of a reason.

Having buggered the thing by ignoring the instruments and establishing yourself visually on the wrong airport seems like a very good reason though.
    True!

The airport has nothing to do with the incedent

The airport has nothing to do with the incedent
    I thought the incident was because the airport was next to an airport with a very close and aligned runway...so maybe the airport has something to do with the incident?

I thought the incident was because the airport was next to an airport with a very close and aligned runway...so maybe the airport has something to do with the incident?

Oh that has never happened before! Atlas Jabara Colorado a couple of years ago in the Dream Lifter, South West a few weeks later (I don't remember where) and countless others. You are absolutely right 3WE!