Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
    Come on now T.V., really![/I][/COLOR]
    at risk of missing your sarcasm....i really am boggled by the amount of "sheepness" in our society. it's amazing and disgusting all at the same time. there is so little real thinking and so much acceptance of whatever. i'm not a rabble rouser but i am anti establishment. not in the hippy sense either. there's just far too much, "well, that's the way it is...."

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      at risk of missing your sarcasm....i really am boggled by the amount of "sheepness" in our society. it's amazing and disgusting all at the same time. there is so little real thinking and so much acceptance of whatever. i'm not a rabble rouser but i am anti establishment. not in the hippy sense either. there's just far too much, "well, that's the way it is...."
      Well, that's the way it is.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
        Well, that's the way it is.
        In a nut shell!

Comment

oh you guys are killing me.

Comment

I don't think being an airline passenger is the best place to be anti-establishment. Flying has become so routine and uneventful that we forget the dangers. We forget that we are moving. When the crew instructs you to remain in your seat, why not just do that? There are also too many "anti-establishment" thinkers out there who ignore warnings, get injured, refuse to accept that it was due to their own stupidity and go directly for the lawyers who then extract settlements, thus making the rules even more strict. It's a spiral of rebelliousness and lawyering that got us here Teevee.

Comment

Look man, I think I'd enjoy many barroom conversations with you, but let me add this zinger.

While you worry about illogical taxiway seatbelt rules, I'd just like to see a solid halfway honest, intelligent presidential candidate who will seek to solve problems and bring the country together, along with a media that attempted some semblance of balance, integrity and honesty...

But, ummmm, Well, that's the way it is... (insert one-eye-shut, one-eye-open, tongue-out, crazy-face icon)...Merry expletive Christmas! (and happy holidays so as to not offend non Christians).

[Edit: Blue font is probably appropriate for much of this, even though it's quite true too...anyway, no anger intended.]
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

I guess I forgot the blue font.
                I am more your kind of person, those who think that the way it is is not necessarily the way it should be, or even that it could be.
                A personality that is appreciated by some and objected by many, and that does give me problems (at work, for example).
                The "well, that's the way it is" is an attitude that would make my life much easier and problem-free. I just don't find it compelling.
                That said, the "well, that's the way it is" has its place in my life too. As the saying/prayer goes:
                "God, give me the bravery to change the thins I can change, the resilience to accept the things that I cannot change, and the wisdom to tell one from the other."

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                  It's a spiral of rebelliousness and lawyering and MBA-and-scientific-engineering-total-pursuit-of-the-last-penny-to-hell-with-common-sense that got us here Teevee.
                  Fixed.
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

right. couldn't possibly be b&w /absolutist thinking. or maybe man's innate fear of flying even if its unconscious.

3w is right. you are truly a one dimensional thinker who lives in a bubble and has never experienced things such as pedaling a tricycle faster than Vmes.
                    Fixed.

Comment

at least some of whom i'm sure you voted for
                      Yes, because when you're looking at a ballot with two candidates, both of whom are lawyers, there's no other sensible option.

I should also say that in principle, I don't object to candidates for office having JD degrees or other legal qualifications. All you have to do is look at our current situation to see what happens when you elect someone who has no knowledge whatsoever of the law! But one would hope that when those folks get elected, they'd do what's in the best interest of all their constituents, not just those in their profession. Yeah, I know, idealism...
                      Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

off-topic

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                        Merry expletive Christmas! (and happy holidays so as to not offend non Christians).
                        Wait, what? Christmas is a Christian holiday? That's not "the rule" in the US for sure. All the houses decorated with bright lights, fake snow, sleds, reindeer, an old fat man with a heavy red coat, hat and boots, a pine tree, socks and presents next to a fireplace.... All radios playing Christmas songs, quires of boys singing in the entrance of Walmart and Walgreen, songs about snow, Santa, Rudolph, sleights, and happiness... Such a contrast with the poor birth of that Jewish guy in the Bronze era in a barn in the middle of the desert in the Middle East.

The Christmas in Argentina is still quite different, but it is getting closer to the American style every year (driven by marketing).

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                          The Christmas in Argentina is still quite different, but it is getting closer to the American style every year (driven by marketing).
                          Ironingly, (and this is getting very deep, but is still on topic)...one problem is how we worship the almighty dollar and our wonderful corporate culture (including safety), instead of God whom most religions saddle with a very powerful duty of maintaining right and wrong.

Of course we humans mess that up too, just like seatbelts when on an active taxiway- My God and my actions are right...whereas you are going to hell.

How do we teach right and wrong...and what IS right and wrong and who says what's right and wrong??? The Almighty Dollar says what's right and wrong cuz if a passenger falls and bruises his a$$ while on an active taxiway, there will be paperwork...

(Warning Bobby, I should probably be using some blue font...but you'll have to figure out where).

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
                            ***whom are lawyers***
                            TeeVee is a tad reluctant to acknowledge that lawsuit fears are a significant part of seatbelts during taxi (even though seatbelt-less busses and trains do challenge the logic).

Been fortunate to have a lawyer friend or two. I think stereotypically they are deeply entrenched in their beliefs and love to argue. That being said, my friends have also been governed by a deep concern for right and wrong.

It's interesting to sit behind my keyboard and pass judgement that TeeVee seems to contain those stereotypes.

And to keep things light- since we have no choice BUT to vote for Lawyers, how about getting Tee Vee to run for president...Eric would be a good candidate, but he's not_a lawyer.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                              TeeVee is a tad reluctant to acknowledge that lawsuit fears are a significant part of seatbelts during taxi (even though seatbelt-less busses and trains do challenge the logic).
                              Here's the logic behind that: the rules on an airplane are that you must remain seated WHENEVER the seat-belt sign is lighted. I don't know if that is an actual law or just wise policy, but it's there and you are made aware of it before every flight. Busses and trains don't have a seat belt light, law or policy. They also lack many of the other safety features of an aircraft. They are also more dangerous and carry a higher risk of injury or death. That's right, a metal tube jetted through the upper atmosphere at close to the speed of sound is safer than the humble city bus. That's a remarkable achievement. So, hurray for aviation safety. Why are we criticizing it?

Tip: Relax. Remain seated at all times, unless the call of nature won't be denied. Unless you have a medical condition or a weak bladder, that should allow you to remain seated on most short-haul flights. On the longer ones, wait for the sign to be turned off. And if that makes you feel self-righteously oppressed, please take the much more liberated and dangerous bus.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                                ***Why are we criticizing it?***
                                Because, unlike you, we have the ability to discern big logic issues and look for the elusive gray-area middle ground, and discuss the pros, cons and gray areas. Zoomin' along in Amtrak at 80-120 mph...Greyhound at 70 mph...(even our precious young grade-school students on bumpy, dangerous, curvy, two-lane roads)....no seatbelt sign...and yet the ride is a magnitude or two more stable (and pretty darn hard to be killed) when on the dreaded active taxiway...

Nope...no room (zero point zero) for anyone to ask questions there...

Footnote: My black and white Evan doll is in the other room, again, you have stepped in it with a vengeance.

Comment

Working...
                                X