The final Delta 747 arrival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The final Delta 747 arrival

The final scheduled revenue Delta Airlines Boeing 747-400 landing at Detroit metro, DTW. N666US Runway 22R, flt DL158 ICN-DTW. 12-19-17.

Originally posted by mtrainer90 View Post
    The final scheduled revenue Delta Airlines Boeing 747-400 landing at Detroit metro, DTW. N666US Runway 22R, flt DL158 ICN-DTW. 12-19-17.

[...]
    Hm. Do you know when the N666US was born? I only ask because I don't know. I regularly write here on this platform concerning the 747 club. Minus 1, as they have announced it in their en wiki. Wow. I sometimes wonder who is behind Lufthansa en wiki, United en wiki, or Delta en wiki. If not the (former) DL 747 fleet chief, there must be someone who knows a little bit. Why?
    Well. I was online to "celebrate" my nine years on this platform (December 12th). Back then (last Tuesday), all Delta B744s have been in the air. And today, the DL-B744 has completely been deleted from the Delta en wiki?!

And where is the ex DL 747 fleet chief now? I know that Flight Captains retire when they're not 64 years old... But was he old enough to retire?

Many questions. Was N666US old enough to retire? I don't think so. But this is only a very very very subjective opinion....
    She came in from "In'cheon" (?). I should know how to pronounce it...

Great video. And one last question. Who is the US American airline who operates the last B747 flight (passenger version)?
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Most of the time, I hate youtube for its procedure "people who liked this B744 video also liked ... coons." But it seems as if youtube also learns.

So, if you like B744s, you might also like:

Bye Bye, all you DL-B744s!

Thus. We all need info, who takes over these Delta routes.
      Honolulu?
      In'cheon?

Will it be the shiny new thing? The A359, or as I call it, the coon?

PS: What separates the men from the boys.. As I indeed have used In'cheon on board Randazzos B744 simulator, I sometimes wonder, who was the chief architect back then in 2001 when In'cheon opened its doors to the public. Inflight or on final, it almost seems like an airport who opened its doors to the public in 1927...
      Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-12-19, 22:27. Reason: Fragrances. Prototypes?

Comment

Where is Seahawk... When he's online, I always try to be short, at least I try...
        And then I wouldn't dare to write 3 entries without an answer of ATLcrew...

But I have found an indeed quite final answer to the question, which US American airline flies the last B744 passenger jet, based in the USA.

This message has not yet been seconded by one of the major US American airlines, but I trust the source, as I know who feeds the source...
        It is also currently the only passenger airline in the United States operating the Boeing 747-400.
        This sentence is part of the following source:
        Delta Airlines fleet -- en wikipedia

Since I use the internet, I regularly get angry when I see that the internet, which tries to offer real time cooking videos for the Christmas goose,
        is not up to date! Caught!

So, the Delta Airlines fleet en wiki does not yet know what we all know. N666US was the last one? The last B747 which had been operated by an US-American airline?!

Wow. The 747 club minus 1:

Delta Airlines (1973-2017). It all began with Delta 747-100. I'm not sure with the year. 1973? And the history of US based B747 passenger jets has just ended with N666US?

Somebody should correct the Delta Airlines fleet en wiki. My idea:
        "Until December 2017, Delta has been the only major airline in the United States operating the Boeing 747 passenger jet. As of December 20th 2017, the Boeing 747 passenger jet is part of the US aviation history. Airworthy jets, based in the USA: zero."

With respect to the city where the 747 was invented, I again say, Wow. So, we can say that all major US American passenger airlines have left the 747 club:

USA (1970-2017). 47 years, is it that magic number? In my eyes there is only 1 number which is golden: 50.

The 747 will survive.

Comment

Delta did NOT operate 747s continually from 1973 to 2017. In fact, they have operated 747s for just a very small number of years. They had a small number of -100s (only 4-5) from 1973 to 1977 when they were retired for being too large for domestic flights. It was not until 2009 that Delta operated 747s again when they inherited Northwest's large fleet of -400s. Most of Delta's -400 operations were just the old Northwest routes.

Comment

Thank You for that brilliant answer! And hello, you Senior. I just tried to go offline, but now...

I guess I wanted to become a jp forum member nine years ago due to answers of that kind.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
              Hm. Do you know when the N666US was born? I only ask because I don't know.
              "I know that at times I can be a little over the top." -ITS

Comment

Now that I think of it, Northwest was actually a much longer and more significant 747 operator : 39 years from 1970 to merger with Delta in 2009. Northwest were also the launch customer for the -400.

Comment

Originally posted by Not_Karl View Post
                  Really? As always when I see you, I am a little bit distracted by your brilliant avatar.

But that means...
                  1. N666US was older than my avatar, D-ABVD. Afaik, the Victor Delta was a child of the 1990s, until they buried her. So, the N666US was
                  ... if her first flight was on December 30th 1989,
                  28 years old, or older. Wow.
                  2. 28 years. I know that the first LH-B744 took off in... 1989, afaik. Joe Sutter was a man who I like to ask now. I think, he invented the 747-400 in 1989. But the first LH-B744, without the Star Alliance sign (!), was not in the air for 28 years, definitely not. Now another question. My avatar is the D-ABVD, which, when I became a jetphotos junior member of this forum, in 2008, a.o. flew the route SF Bay International - Frankfurt and back. And this is also exactly what you see if you look at my avatar:
                  SF Bay international.

3. So, can you say how old D-ABVD was when she was buried? I have a rough guess, and I can find it out until the first day of the new year, but... Do you have a faster answer?

4. Afaik, all LH 747s have been bought to be in the air for 25 years. That means, the LH B744 Victor Papa (*25.02.1997), which I fly on board Randazzos LH-B744 simulator, is in the air until February 2023. [Not yet confirmed by the LH CEO.]

I still wonder why Europe is the rescue for the 747, and not the state where the 747 has been invented: Washington state, USA.
                  But that's like it is.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                    Now that I think of it, Northwest was actually a much longer and more significant 747 operator : 39 years from 1970 to merger with Delta in 2009. Northwest were also the launch customer for the -400.
                    Yes. NorthWest was so much, and they disappeared almost at the same time as LTU: 2008, when both of us became a jetphotos forum member, right?

At least I can say that I became a jetphotos forum member BECAUSE LTU disappeared. Back then I thought, damn, what was yet the reason why an international airline like the LTU (1955-2008_) disappeared from her home airport: EDDL.
                    Today I still don't know the complete answer. Imho, it's a shame what happened in 2008 to the LTU!

And NorthWest? I'd repeat the last 3 lines, only with NWA in it. It's a shame. And you know what?

When I bought the LH-B744 fsx simulator from Mr Randazzo, he still was able to deliver it with at least 2 different NWA liveries:
                    1. The bowling shoe. I don't have to tell you how this one looked like. And I know that at least one NW-B747-200 in bowling shoe livery was one of our guests here at EDDL, back in the days when the 747 was appreciated in the USA...
                    2. NWA bronze, as I call it.

And you know what? Until today I own both liveries for my B744 simulator. It's a shame that, in January 2017, my webspace provider decided to no longer exist. But I can give you a promise. I'll keep these liveries at least until I find a new webspace provider. Isn't that a good promise in these days.

And now, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
                    Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-12-30, 23:09. Reason: as always: :_)

Comment

NorthWestAirlines

For all of us who might have forgotten how such a NW-B747 in bowling shoe livery looks like, i.e. not for HalcyonDays. Or especially for him, and look at this airport...

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8756996

The airport, the airline, and, as we know since this topic has been opened, even the aircraft type does no longer exist in the USA. Well. That's what the jp database is good for. I love it.
                      Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-12-30, 23:25. Reason: Ancient airports...

Comment

United Airlines

I know that this post of mine is offtopic. But I just had to reconsider if the threadstarter here really posted the last flight of a Boeing 747 passenger version, which one of the major US carriers has ever possessed. That must be the truth, because the last UA 747 was grounded earlier. And I like to show evidence for that:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...day/838922001/

The San Francisco bay, November 8th 2017. And, still off topic, but I like to show you my favorite UA-B744 livery of all times. I know that there were liveries like "the Tulip", and since I am here, somebody even told me how this one is officially called, but I have forgotten the name, so, if you know it, feel free to refresh my memory. Here it is, the SF bay again:

UA-B744 and the San Francisco bay, back then in 2003.

PS: And you know what? I even still own this brilliant livery for Randazzos B744 simulator! So, let's find a new webspace for my screenshots...
                        Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-12-30, 23:56. Reason: The San Francisco bay.

Comment

At least I can say that I became a jetphotos forum member BECAUSE LTU disappeared. Back then I thought, damn, what was yet the reason why an international airline like the LTU (1955-2008_) disappeared from her home airport: EDDL.
                          Today I still don't know the complete answer. Imho, it's a shame what happened in 2008 to the LTU!
                          LTU were weak but didn't fail, they were acquired by Air Berlin, who wanted LTU's long haul routes. Air Berlin couldn't make this work, however, and they too have now succumbed.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                            LTU were weak but didn't fail, they were acquired by Air Berlin, who wanted LTU's long haul routes. Air Berlin couldn't make this work, however, and they too have now succumbed.
                            Congratulations! Why. Do you know that you're the first human ever who in my presence starts a really fair discussion (imho) about the reasons why I'm here at this forum?!
                            Lester Holt is another man who I really appreciate, not only because he is also a "winter child" like me. Mainly because he lives what his employer always mentions: be unbiased.

You say that LTU was weak. You hopefully know that, until 2008, the LTU and "the new LH" had almost exactly the same amount of experience: both have been founded in 1955.

So, I wouldn't say that LTU was "weak". They were, at least in the year when they disappeared, so I'd say, in 2008, smaller than LH. That certainly is true, because LH is a founding member of the 747 club (since 1970). And in 2008, the 747 still was the biggest passenger jet on earth, at least in Germany.
                            And afaik, the LTU never owned one 747.

And you exactly mentioned the problem. LTU was so attractive that
                            Air Berlin (which btw was younger than me) was greedy. And I am so angry because, now I try the short version (ATLcrew),

LTU could have survived Air Berlin, do you like to second me? You do, or don't you.

LTU had 1) 23 (twenty-three) years of bigger experience (1955-1978_), 2) they had brilliant long haul jets like the famous LTU Tristars, and so on and so on...

Air Berlin in my eyes was not much more than a short haul airline, born in those years when Berlin still had an US American sector, and, now I quote you again
                            Air Berlin couldn't make this work,
                            If we'd ask a quite famous LH chief engineer who left his airline after almost 48 years (!), I think he could say something like 'Air Berlin shouldn't have bought the LTU. They were not really able to bring it to a success!'
                            And now I must be careful, because it is not impossible that he reads what we're talking here.

PS: I just asked my fsx, if the promise that I gave you in the jp simulator section is true. And it is true. NW-B744 in bowling shoe livery. You know that until today I only have two jetphotos online friends? Probably you should be #3. But I just wonder how such a "weak" cpu here was able to run the internet (with the jp forum open, and no flaw), plus my fsx (with Randazzos NW-B744 simulator open). Intel. And I thought that I have to buy an i7 in 2018 ... You know what that means? That theoretically means that during my next "shift" (I'm currently en route to FACT with my simulator), I can be online here.
                            That's not yet confirmed, because Randazzos simulator inflight is a bigger size as if you only just open fsx to check the NW-B744 livery..

And now I have a question for you, which I already discussed with AA 1818, God bless him.

We all know jp members like TP-A343, LX-A343 or one very unimportant LH semi-pro simulator pilot... And you seem like a NW man. But why, since AA 1818 has left this forum, isn't there a single
                            AA nickname (ok, TeeVee, but is he the successor of AA 1818?)
                            and which I have definitely never seen here, since I am here, not one
                            DL nickname (e.g. the DL-B763ER, /w winglets of course, which we today so much appreciate here at my home airport)?!

For DL I have a theory. And it is not so much different from my LT theory. When NW died, nobody wanted to be a DL. And when LT died, nobody wanted to be .. something else. But in Germany, there was only 1 airline which also was founded in 1955. So, today I am what I am.
                            Last edited by LH-B744; 2017-12-31, 08:10. Reason: 1955.

Comment

Really? As always when I see you, I am a little bit distracted by your brilliant avatar.

3. So, can you say how old D-ABVD was when she was buried? I have a rough guess, and I can find it out until the first day of the new year, but... Do you have a faster answer?
                              First flight: 18 April 1990
                              Delivered: 15 May 1990
                              Withdrawn from use: 25 October 2013
                              Stored: 04 November 2013 (at Stuttgart). Age: 23.5 years.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Happy new year!
                              "I know that at times I can be a little over the top." -ITS

Comment

Working...
                              X