Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LAX boarding pass scanner hacked by the Russians. Or codeshare mixup. Or something.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LAX boarding pass scanner hacked by the Russians. Or codeshare mixup. Or something.

Models and musicians involved. Trans-Pacific ANA flight returned to LAX 8 hours after departure. Various coverage from local to international:

Model and TV personality Chrissy Teigen tweeted about enduring her “flight to nowhere”after her Tokyo-bound plane suddenly turned around and headed back to LA.

Model Chrissy Teigen live tweets as her flight is turned back to LA after four hours.

i would think this is not so much a "security" issue as it is a general screw-up by the airline. allegedly, tsa's computers are fed all traveling pax data, so that when one passes the tsa checkpoint, they would be stopped if they didn't have a valid ticket for travel on that date.

the idea that allegedly the pilot had safety concerns is, to me anyway, a load of BS. the enormous costs this U-turn caused cannot be justified under the circumstances.

the worst part about stupidity like this is that i can very easily see it leading to ID checks during the boarding process, which would further harass us pax and cause an even greater nightmare of what is already a shitty boarding process.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
      i would think this is not so much a "security" issue as it is a general screw-up by the airline. allegedly, tsa's computers are fed all traveling pax data, so that when one passes the tsa checkpoint, they would be stopped if they didn't have a valid ticket for travel on that date.
      Apparently the offending passenger did have a valid ticket for travel on that date. But it was for a different flight operated by United Airlines. Astonishingly, "the boarding pass scanner allowed the United Airlines boarding pass onto the ANA flight":

Details emerged on how an unauthorized passenger boarded a flight from L.A. to Tokyo before the plane eventually diverted back.

To quote Chrissy Teigen, are the LAX boarding pass scanners just dumb "bedoop machines"?

Comment

A thought occurs..... United and ANA are both part of the Star Alliance. Could that have something to do with confusing the “bedoop” machine ?
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

All Nippon and United do code-share and have similar flights at similar times, so each flight will have a code share flight number using the other flight's prefix code. Not an excuse but maybe a contributory factor.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeVee View Post

the worst part about stupidity like this is that i can very easily see it leading to ID checks during the boarding process, which would further harass us pax and cause an even greater nightmare of what is already a shitty boarding process.
            On every international flight (and cruise) I've been on in recent years I have had to show my passport at the boarding gate.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744
              Man. You should be quite happy. My favorite airline tried to buy the Niki airline. And who finally bought it? You should be happy, aren't you. It was on German TV news, included are landing rights at Kloten, Schwechat, and, last but not least, at my home airport. But British Air here owns landing rights since anno domini 1800
              This thread is about a boarding pass scanner at LAX that apparently allowed a passenger to board an ANA flight to Tokyo even though his boarding pass was for a different flight operated by United Airlines. (The pilot decided 4 hours later to return to LAX citing safety concerns).

I'm having trouble understanding how this is related to:

(i) Lufthansa's corporate acquisition strategy
              (ii) the ownership of landing rights at German airports
              (iii) the attempted purchase of Niki by Anglo-Spanish IAG
              (iv) the operations of the JSK group of companies
              (v) the escalating construction delays at Berlin Brandenberg Airport

Edit reason: Post retained to illustrate the depth of the deleted off topic post. Brian Whitelegg.
              Last edited by brianw999; 2017-12-31, 20:17.

Comment

Originally posted by Highkeas View Post
                On every international flight (and cruise) I've been on in recent years I have had to show my passport at the boarding gate.
                this is not an ID check. this is to help the airline avoid getting nailed with an intl pax that lands in a foreign country without a passport. makes for big trouble for the airline. they do not actually check the name against the boarding pass. in fact, you don't even have to open the passport.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                  A thought occurs..... United and ANA are both part of the Star Alliance. Could that have something to do with confusing the “bedoop” machine ?
                  Other incidents have been emerging at LAX and SFO in which passengers successfully boarded flights that were operated by their ticketed carrier to their intended destination, but the flight number was not the one on which they had been booked. It seems the boarding pass scanners at these airports (maybe elsewhere too?) make the same warning noise for everything; from minor issues like exit row alerts to important ones like duplicate seat numbers and incorrect flight number. If a large number of "bedoops" occur in a typical boarding process, maybe gate staff are frequently overriding them, in which case I wonder if the problem is simply that the really important ones can get ignored/overridden too easily?

Does anyone know how easy it is for a gate agent to override an incorrect flight number "bedoop" from the boarding pass scanner if the destination is still correct and the specific seat number has not yet been boarded?

Comment

Working...
                  X