Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RAW or JPEG

Hey mates,

I recently took some photos in RAW during daylight. Of course I noticed the better editing options within Lightroom but also the size of the photo was quite huge with 22MB.
    I知 using a Canon 1DX with some Canon L lenses. So I知 not sure if it makes really sense to take RAW photos on a normal spotting day (good weather conditions).
    If you imagine you may take 200 or 500 photos in total when leaving the airport that makes around 4,4 to 11GB of space needed. Of course you delete often photos...but you will need any space.

So what do you think and how do you handle it? I知 not sure what痴 really better and handier.

Happy New Year
    View my Spottingpictures on Jetphotos.net here

Hey!

Iam using only RAW with my Canon 7D Mark II. RAW is better for editing with Lightroom and it has a better quality. I save a maximum of two pictures (RAW) of each aircraft. I delete all other after screening at home and save my pictures on a external hard drive.

I hope it is helpfully.

Best greetings
    Martin

http://https://www.jetphotos.com/photographer/45870
    Best regards

Martin
    Jetphotos.com Crew

Comment

Card space isn't really an issue, is it. I use a 32 GB card just to feel safe, and I usually have my cam set to JPG plus RAW. So I can work from JPG and if I think I need RAW options (which I do most of the time) I grab the corresponding file.
      With my first-generation 5D, processing/writing to card of serial shots *is* an issue. In RAW it's not more than 8 or 9 pictures in a quick sequence until the cam says "busy" and won't shoot for a few seconds.

Comment

SD Cards are so damn cheap nowadays and everyone owning a DSLR should be able to spend 30 € for a 64GB card. So memory-space isnエt really an argument not shooting in RAW.

Originally posted by Martin Rogosz View Post
        I save a maximum of two pictures (RAW) of each aircraft. I delete all other after screening at home and save my pictures on a external hard drive.
        I do the same, making up to ten photos in a sequence and at home after screening I just keep 2 or 3 photos.

Comment

[QUOTE=CO777/200;657906]SD Cards are so damn cheap nowadays and everyone owning a DSLR should be able to spend 30 € for a 64GB card. So memory-space isnエt really an argument not shooting in RAW. [QUOTE/]

Well, as said I'm using a 1DX which is able to shot at maybe 14 pictures a second in JPEG and also in RAW it's nearly able to do that. Of course I'm having a good CF card which is in my case a 64GB SanDisk with 120MB/s. With the memory space I described in the first post I was more thinking about HDD and not cards in the cam.

Depending on the situation I'm also trying to keep only 2-3 photos but mostly I keep around 5-8 photos

I will test it on my next spotting trip if its makes sense even on good weather. As said I'm still not sure if there is really a benefit which you also notice when editing for uploading.
          View my Spottingpictures on Jetphotos.net here

Comment

RAW all the time. So much more uncompressed detail to work with. Only slight drawback is that I use Adobe CS3 which means that I have to use Adobe DNG converter to download my Nikon D7000 RAW files. It’s worth it though for the image quality.
            Last edited by brianw999; 2018-01-03, 15:20.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Depends on what you are willing to risk. I shoot JPG mostly. In natural light and low ISO it is enough for airplanes, especially as it really does not matter if you miss a shot. For important events I would only shoot RAW (weddings, public events and such)

Comment

Originally posted by StefBrat View Post
                With the memory space I described in the first post I was more thinking about HDD and not cards in the cam.

Depending on the situation I'm also trying to keep only 2-3 photos but mostly I keep around 5-8 photos
                HDD-Space is also very cheap. You get a WD-Drive with 2 TB for 80 EUR.

The only argument not to shot in RAW is when you are too lazy to edit the photos. Its a little bit more work on a RAW image compared to a JPG.

Comment

Working...
                X