Flying.Fonz - Editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi,

I have some further sunset work that would benefit from your thoughts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cathay-B-LID-744-sunset.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	606.0 KB
ID:	1042620

Name:	Flybw-G-ECOH-Dash8-sunset.jpg
Size:	768.0 KB
ID:	1042621

Name:	G-BYGA-BA-sunset.jpg
Size:	845.5 KB
ID:	1042622

Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by Flying.Fonz View Post
      Hi,

I have some further sunset work that would benefit from your thoughts.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28470[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28471[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28472[/ATTACH]

Thanks
      1. borderline soft
      2. soft, borderline dark
      3. dark, borderline soft

Comment

• A rare but fabulous night for some practice. Could I have your thoughts on this one please.

Name:	Eva-773-B-16706-sunset.jpg
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	1042803

Thanks

Comment

A rare but fabulous night for some practice. Could I have your thoughts on this one please.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28681[/ATTACH]

Thanks
          Crop's a bit wide, but don't see any flaws in the quality.

Comment

• I did wonder about that. It can be cropped a little but it will still have big gaps either side in order to preserve the colours and framing. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Comment

I did wonder about that. It can be cropped a little but it will still have big gaps either side in order to preserve the colours and framing. Any thoughts?

Thanks.
              Photographically, I personally think it's totally fine, but as I always try to do in the forum, I'm trying to offer advice from the perspective of a screener looking at whether or not such an image should be accepted into a aviation photo database. In that case, I do worry that the aircraft will be seen as a bit too far. I don't think there's really much else you can do about that editing-wise given how the image is composed.

Comment

• Backlit or not?

I'm a little confused. Sunset images are often backlit for a reason as widely demonstrated by those images that are accepted. The assumption is that once an image is rejected and one of those rejection comments is not 'backlit', how does being 'backlit' suddenly become a rejection reason (especially when it is key to the composition) when the original issues are resolved and the image is resubmitted.

Comment

I'm a little confused. Sunset images are often backlit for a reason as widely demonstrated by those images that are accepted. The assumption is that once an image is rejected and one of those rejection comments is not 'backlit', how does being 'backlit' suddenly become a rejection reason (especially when it is key to the composition) when the original issues are resolved and the image is resubmitted.
                  Backlight per se is smething to avoid in photography. However, there are instances, where backlight can add a lot to a photo. In such cases, as stated in the upload guidelines, we might accept the photo. Maybe you want to show some examples, where you don't agree with the screening decision.
                  My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

• Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                    Backlight per se is smething to avoid in photography. However, there are instances, where backlight can add a lot to a photo. In such cases, as stated in the upload guidelines, we might accept the photo. Maybe you want to show some examples, where you don't agree with the screening decision.
                    Sure. These two were rejected for being backlit even though they weren't so on the first upload (I'm aware there are other issues)
                    JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

These were accepted and were taken minutes apart from the ones above.
                    A fiery sunset for this departure [1920px]. F-HCAT. Airbus A330-243. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

A stunning sunset that just got better after a very dull day. Apparently at this time of the year, these are regular occurences. A big thanks to the local airport watch for their time and insight. [1920px]. C-GWSA. Boeing 737-8CT. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I reviewed the upload guidelines a number of times and I reviewed a number of photos contributed by other members prior to uploading

Comment

Sure. These two were rejected for being backlit even though they weren't so on the first upload (I'm aware there are other issues)

These were accepted and were taken minutes apart from the ones above.
                      A fiery sunset for this departure [1920px]. F-HCAT. Airbus A330-243. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

A stunning sunset that just got better after a very dull day. Apparently at this time of the year, these are regular occurences. A big thanks to the local airport watch for their time and insight. [1920px]. C-GWSA. Boeing 737-8CT. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

I reviewed the upload guidelines a number of times and I reviewed a number of photos contributed by other members prior to uploading
                      All of them borderline shots, some even screened by the same screeners. On the positive side the photos show a great sunset, on the negative side, the aircraft are poorly lit, the photos are not silhouette shots. I would have rejected the first 2 as well.

It's an area, where guidelines are hard to define and probably would ruin more of the photography essence. Also, by looking at the db, you will get an idea, what has been accepted in the past, but to get the whole picture, you would also have to see, what is rejected, which you obviously can't.

Comment

• Ok, thanks.

Comment

Ok, thanks.
                          No worries. Just keep trying, keep uploading. What's the worst which could happen? A photo could be rejected, so what?

Comment

• Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                            No worries. Just keep trying, keep uploading. What's the worst which could happen? A photo could be rejected, so what?
                            Sure, no worries and thanks for the heads up. Its the main reason why my images have improved over the last year.

Comment

• Improve old image

Hi,

Can I upload an improved version of an old image but with a higher resolution i.e. 1920px instead of 1280px?

Cheers

Comment

• no, size have to be the same

Cheers
                                Alex

Comment

Working...
                                X