Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 224

Thread: aceriana - editing advice

  1. #1
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248

    Default aceriana - editing advice

    Hello to All

    This is the error that most boggles me.
    I truly do not understand it, more so with the new control parameters when uploading a photo.
    It is the error that most stresses me because I do not see something you see. The explanations and help are somewhat vague when I appeal.

    I have over 10 photos rejected because of this motif. They were taken during a sunny day. Levels are all in order. Where is this ghost in the system called over processing?
    Please help because I am losing my sanity
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

  2. #2
    JPElite Member! TomEPKK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Krakow/Geneva
    Posts
    218

    Default

    Could you please link rejected pictures? That would help...

  3. #3
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

  4. #4
    Member vcruvinel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Brasília, Brazil.
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Hey Alberto.

    If you use the "Check for Dust" button you will get the equalize photo and will see some halos around the fuselage and gear. This halos appears probably because you changed the highlights/shadows during your editing (this halos is the reason for Over Processed / Bad postprocessing). If you use Nikon like me turn off the D-lightining option from your camera, sometimes this also happen because this option.

    Hope this helps.

    Vinicius Cruvinel

  5. #5
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248

    Default

    [QUOTE=vcruvinel;659361]Hey Alberto.

    If you use the "Check for Dust" button you will get the equalize photo and will see some halos around the fuselage and gear. This halos appears probably because you changed the highlights/shadows during your editing (this halos is the reason for Over Processed / Bad postprocessing). If you use Nikon like me turn off the D-lightining option from your camera, sometimes this also happen because this option.


    Hello Vinicius

    Yes I use a Nikon D600 and my D-Lighting is off (I think). I know this was an issue in the past.
    However, I might have problems here. When is the HALO fixed in the editing process? This is what I do not understand. Is it due to the photo itself or sharpening with Photoshop? Or maybe both?
    1. How do I see a Halo easily when I am in the editing process - that is my real trouble
    2. When do I fix the halo?

    Thanks for you patience and help
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

  6. #6
    Member vcruvinel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Brasília, Brazil.
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vcruvinel View Post
    Hey Alberto.

    If you use the "Check for Dust" button you will get the equalize photo and will see some halos around the fuselage and gear. This halos appears probably because you changed the highlights/shadows during your editing (this halos is the reason for Over Processed / Bad postprocessing). If you use Nikon like me turn off the D-lightining option from your camera, sometimes this also happen because this option.


    Hello Vinicius

    Yes I use a Nikon D600 and my D-Lighting is off (I think). I know this was an issue in the past.
    However, I might have problems here. When is the HALO fixed in the editing process? This is what I do not understand. Is it due to the photo itself or sharpening with Photoshop? Or maybe both?
    1. How do I see a Halo easily when I am in the editing process - that is my real trouble
    2. When do I fix the halo?

    Thanks for you patience and help
    Hi Alberto.

    Halos normally appears in the editing process (basic because you change the highlights or shadows too much in PS). Can appear in the original also...But it's not normal (that is why I ask you about D-lighting)

    1. You can see the halos durante your editing process using the "Equalize" button in photoshop (this options do the same as the option "Check for dust" button but this tool from JP is more powerful)
    2. Don't change to much the shadows/highlights and see this tips and tricks from brian (https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ips-and-tricks)

    If you have any doubt or trouble to correct this issue you can show me the original and I can see what the best way to correct this.

    Best.

    Vinicius Cruvinel

  7. #7
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vcruvinel View Post
    Hi Alberto.

    Halos normally appears in the editing process (basic because you change the highlights or shadows too much in PS). Can appear in the original also...But it's not normal (that is why I ask you about D-lighting)

    1. You can see the halos durante your editing process using the "Equalize" button in photoshop (this options do the same as the option "Check for dust" button but this tool from JP is more powerful)
    2. Don't change to much the shadows/highlights and see this tips and tricks from brian (https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ips-and-tricks)

    If you have any doubt or trouble to correct this issue you can show me the original and I can see what the best way to correct this.

    Best.

    Vinicius Cruvinel
    Ciao Vinicius
    If you say to use the equalize button but the tool in JP is more powerful how does that help me? I would prefer a linear process from A to Z rather than uploading a photo checking for halos and then back to Photoshop and fix it all over again.
    I must say these halos truly do not enter my small brain. It seems like such a puny error compared to the other errors. But alas rules are rules.
    By the way, when I equalize for spots I do not see halos. Am I the only one with this issue?
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

  8. #8
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Oh and by the way I have tried this from the editing tips and tricks Shadow/Highlight tool. How to avoid haloes (Overprocessed) rejections.
    However, it makes the sky the same color and obviously the photo is rejected.
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

  9. #9
    Member vcruvinel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Brasília, Brazil.
    Posts
    581

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aceriana View Post
    Ciao Vinicius
    If you say to use the equalize button but the tool in JP is more powerful how does that help me? I would prefer a linear process from A to Z rather than uploading a photo checking for halos and then back to Photoshop and fix it all over again.
    I must say these halos truly do not enter my small brain. It seems like such a puny error compared to the other errors. But alas rules are rules.
    By the way, when I equalize for spots I do not see halos. Am I the only one with this issue?
    Alberto,

    I said just for information, because if you equalize in PS and here in the site you will see some differences in the tool. Can you send me the original by PM and we can discuss about it?

  10. #10
    Administrator seahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Germany - near DUS
    Posts
    7,786

    Default

    Another option are the PictureControl setting of your camera if you shoot jpg. If you shoot RAW it could be something in the RAW converter.

  11. #11
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Belfast
    Posts
    917

    Default

    If editing RAW files on photoshop, the likely cause will be the Clarity slider tool as it will often cause slight haloing if too much is used.

    Having said that, Alberto, your images don't look too bad and we are discussing these images amongst the crew so please bare with us.

  12. #12
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Chips View Post
    If editing RAW files on photoshop, the likely cause will be the Clarity slider tool as it will often cause slight haloing if too much is used.

    Having said that, Alberto, your images don't look too bad and we are discussing these images amongst the crew so please bare with us.
    Hello Dave
    Thank you for the positive words. I truly enjoy posting my photos here and sharing them with other aviation enthusiasts. I have tried my best over the years to improve.
    Halos have been my constant problem which comes and goes. I will once again try to refine my process hoping to avoid this issue.

    When I see spotters like you that have thousands of images uploaded I feel like such a dwarf amongst giants and think I will never even come close to such goals.
    I sure hope we all find a good solution and in no way am I blaming the screeners for my errors. I know rules are rules and I truly enjoy the JetPhots website.

    Thanks again
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

  13. #13
    Administrator Alex - Spot-This !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    4,302

    Default

    Alberto,
    Do you apply any filter to your photos on processing ?

    Regards
    Alex

  14. #14
    Member crisquijano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Costa Rica (MROC)
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Hey Vinicius... thanks for the link for the tips. I really needed to improve on the halos

  15. #15
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
    Alberto,
    Do you apply any filter to your photos on processing ?

    Regards
    Alex
    Hello to all

    First of all thank you to Vinicius for his patience and to the screeners for their support.
    I performed some tests last night with a few of the rejected photos and I have come to the following conclusion, which is 100% my fault.
    I use CS6 and Nik. However when applying filters such as Color Efex Pro, my negative control points were too far from the plane and not close enough.
    I began from scratch and re-processed a few of the rejected photos applying the negative control points as close to the aircraft as possible.
    I then checked the equalization and no halos. This might be the trouble I was facing, sloppy positioning of the control points in Nik.

    Thanks again to everyone
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

  16. #16
    Administrator seahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Germany - near DUS
    Posts
    7,786

    Default

    Why would you use NIK in the first place? You can get such images to an acceptable standard simply using levels, curves and sharpening in photoshop. Everything more just increases your chance of an overproc. rejection. Less is better when it comes to editing.

  17. #17
    Administrator Alex - Spot-This !'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    4,302

    Default

    Just like Stefan suggested, NIK collection should be avoided. Specially on sunny shots without any background. I would only recommend using it for pics taken in not so good light and when the plane has some background to work with. Also remember that NIK applies automatic compression to the sky which could cause issues as well.

    Alex

  18. #18
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seahawk View Post
    Why would you use NIK in the first place? You can get such images to an acceptable standard simply using levels, curves and sharpening in photoshop. Everything more just increases your chance of an overproc. rejection. Less is better when it comes to editing.
    Hello Stefan and Alex
    I have used the Jid workflow for many years.
    However after seeing a few Angelo Bufalino YouTube videos, I found the sharpening aspect of Nik clearer for my small brain.
    I agree that perhaps a degree of excess was being used, but I tried a more soft approach last night and no halos.
    If you have some alternative CS6 only sharpening options that are understandable, please let me know.
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

  19. #19
    Administrator seahawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Germany - near DUS
    Posts
    7,786

    Default

    The smart sharpen tool works perfectly fine for me. If need be you can work with layers and masks to give a part of the plane an extra dose of sharpening.

  20. #20
    Member aceriana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Pino Torinese, Italy
    Posts
    248

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by seahawk View Post
    The smart sharpen tool works perfectly fine for me. If need be you can work with layers and masks to give a part of the plane an extra dose of sharpening.
    OK Stefan, I will try the sharpen tool and not use Nik and compare results.
    Though I must admit that dosing Nik with great prudence does work well as I tested last night.
    ___________________________________________



    Alberto

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •