X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aceriana - editing advice

Hello to All

This is the error that most boggles me.
    I truly do not understand it, more so with the new control parameters when uploading a photo.
    It is the error that most stresses me because I do not see something you see. The explanations and help are somewhat vague when I appeal.

I have over 10 photos rejected because of this motif. They were taken during a sunny day. Levels are all in order. Where is this ghost in the system called over processing?
    Please help because I am losing my sanity

Could you please link rejected pictures? That would help...

Comment

Here is one
      https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6337811

And another
      https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6337795

Comment

Hey Alberto.

If you use the "Check for Dust" button you will get the equalize photo and will see some halos around the fuselage and gear. This halos appears probably because you changed the highlights/shadows during your editing (this halos is the reason for Over Processed / Bad postprocessing). If you use Nikon like me turn off the D-lightining option from your camera, sometimes this also happen because this option.

Hope this helps.

Vinicius Cruvinel

Comment

[QUOTE=vcruvinel;659361]Hey Alberto.

If you use the "Check for Dust" button you will get the equalize photo and will see some halos around the fuselage and gear. This halos appears probably because you changed the highlights/shadows during your editing (this halos is the reason for Over Processed / Bad postprocessing). If you use Nikon like me turn off the D-lightining option from your camera, sometimes this also happen because this option.

Hello Vinicius

Yes I use a Nikon D600 and my D-Lighting is off (I think). I know this was an issue in the past.
          However, I might have problems here. When is the HALO fixed in the editing process? This is what I do not understand. Is it due to the photo itself or sharpening with Photoshop? Or maybe both?
          1. How do I see a Halo easily when I am in the editing process - that is my real trouble
          2. When do I fix the halo?

Thanks for you patience and help

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
            Hey Alberto.

Hello Vinicius

Yes I use a Nikon D600 and my D-Lighting is off (I think). I know this was an issue in the past.
            However, I might have problems here. When is the HALO fixed in the editing process? This is what I do not understand. Is it due to the photo itself or sharpening with Photoshop? Or maybe both?
            1. How do I see a Halo easily when I am in the editing process - that is my real trouble
            2. When do I fix the halo?

Thanks for you patience and help
            Hi Alberto.

Halos normally appears in the editing process (basic because you change the highlights or shadows too much in PS). Can appear in the original also...But it's not normal (that is why I ask you about D-lighting)

1. You can see the halos durante your editing process using the "Equalize" button in photoshop (this options do the same as the option "Check for dust" button but this tool from JP is more powerful)
            2. Don't change to much the shadows/highlights and see this tips and tricks from brian (https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ips-and-tricks)

If you have any doubt or trouble to correct this issue you can show me the original and I can see what the best way to correct this.

Best.

Vinicius Cruvinel

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
              Hi Alberto.

Halos normally appears in the editing process (basic because you change the highlights or shadows too much in PS). Can appear in the original also...But it's not normal (that is why I ask you about D-lighting)

1. You can see the halos durante your editing process using the "Equalize" button in photoshop (this options do the same as the option "Check for dust" button but this tool from JP is more powerful)
              2. Don't change to much the shadows/highlights and see this tips and tricks from brian (https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ips-and-tricks)

If you have any doubt or trouble to correct this issue you can show me the original and I can see what the best way to correct this.

Best.

Vinicius Cruvinel
              Ciao Vinicius
              If you say to use the equalize button but the tool in JP is more powerful how does that help me? I would prefer a linear process from A to Z rather than uploading a photo checking for halos and then back to Photoshop and fix it all over again.
              I must say these halos truly do not enter my small brain. It seems like such a puny error compared to the other errors. But alas rules are rules.
              By the way, when I equalize for spots I do not see halos. Am I the only one with this issue?

Comment

Oh and by the way I have tried this from the editing tips and tricks Shadow/Highlight tool. How to avoid haloes (Overprocessed) rejections.
                However, it makes the sky the same color and obviously the photo is rejected.

Comment

Originally posted by aceriana View Post
                  Ciao Vinicius
                  If you say to use the equalize button but the tool in JP is more powerful how does that help me? I would prefer a linear process from A to Z rather than uploading a photo checking for halos and then back to Photoshop and fix it all over again.
                  I must say these halos truly do not enter my small brain. It seems like such a puny error compared to the other errors. But alas rules are rules.
                  By the way, when I equalize for spots I do not see halos. Am I the only one with this issue?
                  Alberto,

I said just for information, because if you equalize in PS and here in the site you will see some differences in the tool. Can you send me the original by PM and we can discuss about it?

Comment

Another option are the PictureControl setting of your camera if you shoot jpg. If you shoot RAW it could be something in the RAW converter.

Comment

If editing RAW files on photoshop, the likely cause will be the Clarity slider tool as it will often cause slight haloing if too much is used.

Having said that, Alberto, your images don't look too bad and we are discussing these images amongst the crew so please bare with us.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Chips View Post
                        If editing RAW files on photoshop, the likely cause will be the Clarity slider tool as it will often cause slight haloing if too much is used.

Having said that, Alberto, your images don't look too bad and we are discussing these images amongst the crew so please bare with us.
                        Hello Dave
                        Thank you for the positive words. I truly enjoy posting my photos here and sharing them with other aviation enthusiasts. I have tried my best over the years to improve.
                        Halos have been my constant problem which comes and goes. I will once again try to refine my process hoping to avoid this issue.

When I see spotters like you that have thousands of images uploaded I feel like such a dwarf amongst giants and think I will never even come close to such goals.
                        I sure hope we all find a good solution and in no way am I blaming the screeners for my errors. I know rules are rules and I truly enjoy the JetPhots website.

Thanks again

Comment

Alberto,
                          Do you apply any filter to your photos on processing ?

Regards
                          Alex

Comment

Hey Vinicius... thanks for the link for the tips. I really needed to improve on the halos

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                              Alberto,
                              Do you apply any filter to your photos on processing ?

Regards
                              Alex
                              Hello to all

First of all thank you to Vinicius for his patience and to the screeners for their support.
                              I performed some tests last night with a few of the rejected photos and I have come to the following conclusion, which is 100% my fault.
                              I use CS6 and Nik. However when applying filters such as Color Efex Pro, my negative control points were too far from the plane and not close enough.
                              I began from scratch and re-processed a few of the rejected photos applying the negative control points as close to the aircraft as possible.
                              I then checked the equalization and no halos. This might be the trouble I was facing, sloppy positioning of the control points in Nik.

Thanks again to everyone

Comment

Working...
                              X