No announcement yet.

aceriana - editing advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you use NIK in the first place? You can get such images to an acceptable standard simply using levels, curves and sharpening in photoshop. Everything more just increases your chance of an overproc. rejection. Less is better when it comes to editing.

Comment

Just like Stefan suggested, NIK collection should be avoided. Specially on sunny shots without any background. I would only recommend using it for pics taken in not so good light and when the plane has some background to work with. Also remember that NIK applies automatic compression to the sky which could cause issues as well.

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
        Why would you use NIK in the first place? You can get such images to an acceptable standard simply using levels, curves and sharpening in photoshop. Everything more just increases your chance of an overproc. rejection. Less is better when it comes to editing.
        Hello Stefan and Alex
        I have used the Jid workflow for many years.
        However after seeing a few Angelo Bufalino YouTube videos, I found the sharpening aspect of Nik clearer for my small brain.
        I agree that perhaps a degree of excess was being used, but I tried a more soft approach last night and no halos.
        If you have some alternative CS6 only sharpening options that are understandable, please let me know.

Comment

The smart sharpen tool works perfectly fine for me. If need be you can work with layers and masks to give a part of the plane an extra dose of sharpening.

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
            The smart sharpen tool works perfectly fine for me. If need be you can work with layers and masks to give a part of the plane an extra dose of sharpening.
            OK Stefan, I will try the sharpen tool and not use Nik and compare results.
            Though I must admit that dosing Nik with great prudence does work well as I tested last night.

Comment

Originally posted by aceriana View Post
              Hello Dave
              Thank you for the positive words. I truly enjoy posting my photos here and sharing them with other aviation enthusiasts. I have tried my best over the years to improve.
              Halos have been my constant problem which comes and goes. I will once again try to refine my process hoping to avoid this issue.

When I see spotters like you that have thousands of images uploaded I feel like such a dwarf amongst giants and think I will never even come close to such goals.
              I sure hope we all find a good solution and in no way am I blaming the screeners for my errors. I know rules are rules and I truly enjoy the JetPhots website.

Thanks again
              Well we all have to start off somewhere and to be honest, you have over 800 images in the database which is no mean feat

Image editing is a constant learning process for all of us, even those of us with 1000's of images in the database. Your ability to learn from mistakes whilst constantly striving for better editing processes demonstrates you have a bright future ahead of you as an uploader here (or anywhere else for that matter).

As mentioned, using Color Efex Pro isn't particularly advisable, sometimes just a simple editing workflow works the best.

Comment

aceriana - editing advice

Hello Everybody

From one issue to the next
                These photos were taken on a somewhat cloudy afternoon - eek!! that already sounds like a big issue.
                But the clouds were in front of me, behind the aircraft as they landed. The sun was behind me with some clouds passing by.
                By no means a pea soup day.

I was much expecting my antagonized error - over processed / bad processing - but this surprises me.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Is it all due to... clouds?

Comment

Hey Alberto,

Because of the background and poor weather there is a lack of contrast/black in the photos (see the left side from the histogram). Also after equalize the photos I see there is big halos around the a/c.

Vinicius

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
                    Hey Alberto,

Because of the background and poor weather there is a lack of contrast/black in the photos (see the left side from the histogram). Also after equalize the photos I see there is big halos around the a/c.

Vinicius
                    I know I was expecting halos given I used Nik (color efex pro) as per my previous erros of over processing and I was expecting that. But I am not sure about these concerning contrast.

Comment

Originally posted by aceriana View Post
                      I know I was expecting halos given I used Nik (color efex pro) as per my previous erros of over processing and I was expecting that. But I am not sure about these concerning contrast.
                      If you look at the left side of the histogram, there is a clear lack of blacks.
                      Instagram: www.instagram.com/iadspotter

Comment

Originally posted by iad.spotter View Post
                        If you look at the left side of the histogram, there is a clear lack of blacks.
                        I fix whites and blacks right away, using Threshold and Curves. Then if any flat spots remain in the histogram I fix that with Levels.
                        All this was done. Vinicius says to increase contrast - but that is leaving me somewhat boggled.

Comment

Very bad weather, very bad light, classic traffic... a bad combination.

Please remember that not everything should be uploaded to JP and a poorly lit grey plane in front of a grey sky are definitely a big risk of rejections. Please keep those for your personal collection

and yes very visible haloes caused by NIK, again never use NIK for planes in the sky.

Hope it helps

Alex

Comment

Originally posted by Alex - Spot-This ! View Post
                            Very bad weather, very bad light, classic traffic... a bad combination.
                            Well now Alex, let's not go overboard. That day the weather was not so bad at all. I have been in pea soups and I know when the combo of very bad weather, very bad light applies.
                            Northern Italy is very famous for fog during winter and hazy days in summer.
                            As I said the situation was sun behind and flimsy clouds in front. Perhaps if I get my act together on contrast they can be fixed? Or as soon as you see them in the queue you will be like a shark smelling blood in the water?

Comment

hahaha no don't worry, you are right maybe the weather wasn't that bad but the light was just too bad at that time. Really I suggest just not uploading such shots as they have really little chances of being accepted.

Comment

Since I have my personal Editing Advice forum , and before Alex calls up the Swiss guards in the Vatican and ships to me to some underground dungeon for not following his advice...
                                Can someone kindly tell me if this photo which originally suffered contrast issues, is now in order after going back to the drawing board?

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEZIO_MXP_30may2016_v2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	343.9 KB
ID:	1022115

Comment

Working...
                                X