• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attn: Gabriel

Can you work out the approximate angle-of-attack here:
    Attached Files

Relentless pull ups can have hazards.

AOA not really measurable from a still pic.
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
      Can you work out the approximate angle-of-attack here:
      The angle of attack is negative a couple of degrees. The zero-lift AoA. Because 0G.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Do you think for an aircraft like that that "sustains" 0G, special pickups for fuel and oil are required? Actually when I wrote "oil" I meant in the engines, but the same question probably applies to the hydraulic systems?
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
          Do you think for an aircraft like that that "sustains" 0G, special pickups for fuel and oil are required? Actually when I wrote "oil" I meant in the engines, but the same question probably applies to the hydraulic systems?
          Yes, that kind of thins would be required. I don't know exactly for what systems, but yes. Aerobatic airplanes and fighter jets have that kind of stuff. The Piper Tomahawk doesn't and the engine would stop receiving fuel when you perform zero G parabolas. Been there, done that.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            Yes, that kind of thins would be required. I don't know exactly for what systems, but yes. Aerobatic airplanes and fighter jets have that kind of stuff. The Piper Tomahawk doesn't and the engine would stop receiving fuel when you perform zero G parabolas. Been there, done that.
            Would a special coffee maker for the crew also be required? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
              Would a special coffee maker for the crew also be required? Asking for a friend.

Now that, is really funny!

Comment

Sorry Gabe, no special stuff on the vomit comet. They do short 20 - 30 second arcs, and it isn't necessary. I have a couple of friends that used to fly them over at Amerijet (727's). I think Elaw was thinking about inverted fuel and oil systems installed on aerobatic aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                  Tomahawk or an Airbus?
                  Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

The angle of attack is negative a couple of degrees. The zero-lift AoA. Because 0G.
                    Well. not yet. We are somewhere between a 1.8G pull up toward a 0G(ish) parabola.

While I'm 99.99% sure this is a fake image, the angle isn't so far from reality. The actual flight pulls up to 45° of pitch. I make this to be about 53°.

I actually would love to know what the AoA is at that point before they begin pushing it over into the parabola.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      I actually would love to know what the AoA is at that point before they begin pushing it over into the parabola.
                      Approximately 1.8 times the 1G AOA.

A fundamental principle that I never learned from the 172M nor 172P POH, nor type specific training in said aircraft.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post

A fundamental principle that I never learned from the 172M nor 172P POH, nor type specific training in said aircraft.
                        Ok, since you always take it back there, this one is for you:

The 172 is the most built airplane in history at 43,000 copies. It is probably still safe to say there are more 172s flying in the U. S. than anything else and though production rates today are relatively low, that will remain true for a long time to come. That makes it a true benchmark airplane in a lot of ways, including that good safety record.

"The moral to that story might be that the simplest airplane can have complicated moments if flown by a pilot who is unfamiliar with it."

Comment

Only if your reference 0 deg AoA line is the zero lift AoA.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
                            Sorry Gabe, no special stuff on the vomit comet. They do short 20 - 30 second arcs, and it isn't necessary. I have a couple of friends that used to fly them over at Amerijet (727's). I think Elaw was thinking about inverted fuel and oil systems installed on aerobatic aircraft.
                            How do they prevent flame-outs?

Comment

Relentless pull ups can have hazards.

AOA not really measurable from a still pic.
                              Hello my friend. I can second what you say. Only by chance, I know a little bit more. If we ask female German astronauts who sometimes appear on German TV, and who regularly are passengers in jets which are flown during so called "Zero G" flights,

the AoA is +45°, during climb, and, -45° (mathematics..) during descent (!). This is the reason why in German these flights are called "Parabelflüge". Now, I don't know how good you are at mathematics.. imho, the English word is "parabola".

Eine Kurve die bis zum unteren Totpunkt sowohl auf dem absteigenden als auch auf dem darauffolgenden aufsteigenden Ast dieselbe mathematische (dynamische/veränderliche) Steigung aufweist. Die einfachsten Funktionsgleichungen für Parabeln haben den unteren Totpunkt bei den Koordinaten x=0/y=0.
                              An den beiden oberen Totpunkten, wo jede Parabel auf gleicher Höhe beginnt und endet ist die potentielle Energie maximal.

That's what I know from my last mathemathic/physics lessons at high school.. 20 years ago! And when Brazil is through the Carnival weekend, I could try to translate that. Or you are faster.. Very dear greetings.

PS: My dictionary doesn't have a word for "Parabelflug". But I think I've mentioned the definition: the AoA is 45°, during climb, and also during...
                              Are there men on the planet who are paid for 1 hour on the best rollercoaster? - Yes. Jet pilots who perform Parabelflüge. Must be fun on board a LH-B744, of course with female astronauts on board only..
                              Potential engergy (cp. kinetic energy), the dictionary knows at least one word, that's what every good glider pilot is able to use, and only a hand full of famous jet pilots, cp. Flight Captain Chesley Sullenberger III.
                              -
                              3WE.. Mathematics always was a monster, at school, wasn't it. My very last maths lesson must have been something like "Let's calculate the volume of a given chess figure. The function is f(x)= ..., logarithm ... "
                              And I wasn't aware that so much has survived in me during the decades, holy s*oul.

The next step would be "curve sketching part II, bilingual" on a living example, with Kristen Stewart and Blake Lively. But my English isn't good enough for those excursions...
                              Last edited by LH-B744; 2018-02-10, 07:51. Reason: Stupid High school ideas during a Carnival weekend.
                              The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                              The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                              And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                              This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Working...
                              X