Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lufthansa new livery, your opinion?

To tell the truth ! I do not like it so much there is so much beautiful way to redo a new color. A chance that this little changed a color? If I rate 10 out of 10 but 3 out of 10!

thank you
    I LOVER BOEING 777 and ALL BOEING

Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    So, Kesternich, be better informed next time, and show some respect to aviation pioneers like Qantas. If you can.
    He was joking, naming reputable airlines using this design. Like if someone said "many second and third rate car manufacturers use big front grills" and I asked "like Rolls-Royce?" .

Dear LH-B744,
    Please read my posts thoroughly and don't quote out of context. My post read:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kesternich View Post
    (...) Which second- and third-rate airlines are you thinking about? Qantas? Latam? Garuda? Asiana? Avianca? Hawaiian? Iberia? Southwest? American Airlines? Seems like everybody does it these days...
    ... and the list of airlines alone, but at the very least the winking smilie, should have told you that I was being ironic. So I'd kindly ask you to be more respectful of your fellow forum members, by reading (and quoting) their posts as they were meant, and if you have doubts or are uncertain about what has been said or meant, there is always the possibility of sending a private message or an email, before telling somebody to
    be better informed next time, and show some respect to aviation pioneers like Qantas. If you can.

A newer version is in the making, LH not happy with blackish blue and bland front look, logo maybe linked with title.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTT-EDDF View Post
    To tell the truth ! I do not like it so much there is so much beautiful way to redo a new color. A chance that this little changed a color? If I rate 10 out of 10 but 3 out of 10!

thank you
    Hey CSTT. Last time we met here it was in the simulator section, right? Probably I should tell you an open secret. Only men who don't really love this platform own 48 forum entries since 2010.

Do you know that between your join date and my join date there are less than 36 months?!

But what you say is important. You don't like it either. And what should I say... I know a German source which seconds what you've just written:

Lufthansa is not happy with the mark III LH 747 design (German source)

Since the beginning of the new year I still wonder who ordered such a monochrome design, as if somebody took an almost black paintbrush and hit the tailfin of a LH B747. The rest is white (!), or as I call it, without color.

Thus, at my home airport, and after what you've just written, also beyond that, not all aviation enthusiasts second monochrome colors for a LH-B744. And also officially, somebody in the LH company does not quite like the mark III LH 747 design?!

Since this topic has been opened (definitely not by me), I try to find one internet source on topic which contains the word Lufthansa in the server name...
    I'll try it again this evening.

And I'll let you know the result, here.
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. Almost a decade here on this platform.

If you need a first translation for the Rheinische Post article:

"Blue is not blue enough. After serious discussions, Lufthansa begins to again alter the mark III LH B747 design, which, in its original version is only a few weeks old."
    - Taken from Rheinische Post (RP) Düsseldorf, February 26th 2018.

Thus, the really hot answer would be, who originally ordered the mark III design?

I second what Kesternich said. Nobody expected such a bold change!
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.

Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. Almost a decade here on this platform.

Damn, I finally found the original LH source. Here the inventor of the mark III LH 747 design is speaking.

http://magazin.lufthansa.com/de/de/aviation/im-neuen-kleid/

Executive Graphic designer for the mark III LH 747 design is Ronald Wild, age 43. The questions are very good, almost as I would've written that interview:

The LH crane is a real classic on all LH 747 tailfins, since 1970. Why do we need a new design?
    - "Seit 30 Jahren haben wir Logo, Schrift und Farben nicht mehr verändert, jetzt führen wir die losen Enden wieder zusammen."

Since 30 years? I don't know if Mr Wild thinks of the very first B744 for LH. The Boeing 747-400 was invented by Chief Engineer Joe Sutter, back in 1989.
    And I know a source, which says that the first LH-B744 was inaugurated in the year 1991.

That definitely includes the idea that the mark II LH 747 design (see my avatar) was also finally used
    for one or two a/c of the LH-B742 fleet (1971-2004),
    if we ask Mr Wild.

I should ask the jetphotos database to answer that question.

So, Mr Wild tried to alter a design, which is successful since 47 years. And he was so convinced of his design, so that Carsten Spohr bought it without the answer of... yes, which people are in the background of the RP EDDL article?
    - Probably one or two LH B747 pilots.

Plus me. Plus CSST. Plus LUNN. Plus... the crowd who is behind that Rheinische Post article.

Mr Wild must've been VERY convincing, so that mark III was accepted without a single opinion of people who really work in these birds (?!).

But now?

I think the existing and retro looked "THE BEST" on the LH airplanes compared to the new one. The new one is very neutral. Rather did not meet the expectations.

Have to agree, not LH's best move. But I think that's been established by now (albeit there are many others who absolutely love the new livery). At any rate, curious to see what changes are coming to "LH New Livery 2.0".

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
    Have to agree, not LH's best move. But I think that's been established by now (albeit there are many others who absolutely love the new livery). At any rate, curious to see what changes are coming to "LH New Livery 2.0".
    Wow. Now I know what a real jetphotos "Senior" looks like. Almost 15 years, and you don't feel ill or bored after such a long time?

Back on topic. I am also always curious what they do with my avatar. And what should I say.. There is almost an evidence that since that jetphoto (December 2017), not so very much (or nothing?) has been changed in the appearance of my avatar... !

LH-B744 - and not so very much has changed.

PS: That seems to be true for Victor Papa, Victor Romeo, Victor Sierra, Victor Tango, ... et cetera .

Quote Originally Posted by janamparikh View Post
    I think the existing and retro looked "THE BEST" on the LH airplanes compared to the new one. The new one is very neutral. Rather did not meet the expectations.
    So, You like my avatar? Thank You. Btw, I've just looked up the LH April 2018 schedule for Mumbai. It seems as if not exactly my avatar operates the Mumbai route, but a bird which only insiders like you n me can distinguish...

LH-B748i in those colors which we all love...

The -800i has no winglets, that's my way to say, no, that's not exactly my avatar.

PS: "It seems as if" is not the perfect way to write something down, which is as sure as the a/c type for the Mumbai route (B748i). But, it seems as if somebody has stopped the "monochrome" experiment. Somebody who is not so very much older than Gabe or me. Somebody like the LH CEO?

God save these colors!

Quote Originally Posted by LH-B744 View Post
    Wow. Now I know what a real jetphotos "Senior" looks like. Almost 15 years, and you don't feel ill or bored after such a long time? ...
    Nah. Won't get bored of aviation, especially commercial. I am back after a long hiatus though, due to various reasons. It's good to be back though, lots of exciting stuff going on in the aviation world.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot View Post
    Nah. Won't get bored of aviation, especially commercial. I am back after a long hiatus though, due to various reasons. It's good to be back though, lots of exciting stuff going on in the aviation world.
    Yes. I don't know when I felt it, ten years or more? No problem. As we say, time flies. And the jp front page shows again, what will definitely not happen to my avatar (as I don't change it, even if they try to continue the monochrome experiment..)..

This colors will never be on the Victor Papa, if you ask me. A newspaper provided an article, where they wrote, "this blue is not blue enough". In my eyes it is not even blue. It is horrible:
    The Yankee Alpha. But this is not something I'd call blue.

Afaik, the Yankee Alpha until today is the only LH B747 which was used for the monochrome experiment. And LH owns... 19 B748i (like the Yankee Alpha), and 13 B744 (like my avatar). Exciting stuff happens. And if that means, thirty-one out of thirty-two LH-B747s stay as they are, i.e. with the traditional nightblue tailfin which is part of the LH-B747 livery since... 1970?, then I'm happy.

You never change a winning team, don't you.

PS: We all know what nightblue looks like. One of my favorite jetphotos of all times. This is nightblue! :
    Nightblue on a LH-B748i in Brazil

I just thought, since the B747 was invented, almost nobody dared to try to sell a 99,7% white (monochrome) 747 as a brilliant new livery ...!! So, which are the best colors for a 747? You ask me? Well...

1. My avatar. Men try to match their ties with the LH-B744 tailfin. And most of the time, we fail, don't we. It's not only nightblue. It must be something like Lufthansa nightblue, with a patent pending (?!). I must say it again, God save these colors!

2. The only color for a B747 which is almost as good as a nightblue tailfin is... a nightblue upper deck (and a silver tailfin). Now you wonder who flies a nightblue upper deck. If you know how old I am, then for you it might not be surprising that I also include 747-200s. Here it is.
    AZ-B742 "Baci" in Brazil, with a nightblue upper deck.

3. The bronze medal? Hm. Who comes quite close to a nightblue tailfin. I still like pinstripes... Here it is.
    UA-B744 in the 2002 livery, 'Battleship Grey', and my favorite airport.
    Yes. Battleship Grey. 15 years ago, really nobody thought that monochrome (99,7 % white) would be a good color for a 747. I love 'Battleship Grey'.