Thread: EASA issues EAD for 320NEO - ETOPS suspended, effective immediately

Default EASA issues EAD for 320NEO - ETOPS suspended, effective immediately

Can somebody please explain this apparent contradiction:

Quote Originally Posted by Emergency Airworthiness Directive (EAD) 2018-0041-E
    Several occurrences of engine in-flight shut-down (IFSD) and Rejected Take-Off (RTO) have been reported on certain Airbus A320neo family aeroplanes. While investigation is ongoing to determine the root cause, preliminary findings indicate that the affected engines, which have high pressure compressor aft hub modification embodied from ESN P770450, are more susceptible to IFSD.

This condition, if not corrected, could lead to dual engine IFSD.[/I]

EASA imposes following restrictions with the EAD:

(1) Within 3 flight cycles (FC) from the effective date of this AD, do not operate an aeroplane having two affected engines installed.

(2) Within 1 FC from the effective date of this AD, for an aeroplane having at least one affected engine(s) installed, ETOPS operations are not allowed.

(3) Inserting a copy of this AD in the ETOPS Configuration, Maintenance and Procedures (CMP) of concerned aeroplane models and, thereafter, operating that aeroplane on ETOPS accordingly, is acceptable to comply with paragraph (2) of this AD.

It sounds like a way to get the airplane back to maintenance base from an ETOPS destination. Maybe a Frenglish issue, too.

Hmm ... are any airlines operating A320s for Mainland<->Hawaii services?

BTW, Evan, when someone answers your question, the courteous thing to do is to acknowledge that answer, perhaps even express some sort of gratitude therefor. Since I'm sure that expression of gratitude must have simply slipped your mind, I am, as a courteous person myself, acknowledging your gratitude with a heartfelt "you're welcome".

My sincerest apologies. I thought that was a forum comment rather than a definitive answer. I do appreciate it when you have something valuable to contribute, other than just the usual admonitions and sarcasm, so thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    My sincerest apologies. I thought that was a forum comment rather than a definitive answer.
    Doesn't matter, at the very least an acknowledgement would have been appropriate. In general, I don't usually claim to have definitive answers, that seems to be more your realm. Oh, I'm sorry, did that sound like a sarcastic admonishment maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by ATLcrew View Post
    It sounds like a way to get the airplane back to maintenance base from an ETOPS destination. Maybe a Frenglish issue, too.
    You see, that sounds like speculation to me. You are upset that I didn't thank you for speculating??? This forum would become mostly thank you's...

Again, I do appreciate it when you share your knowledge (even speculative knowledge) rather than your scorn.

Maybe you could tell us what a CMP is?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Maybe you could tell us what a CMP is?
    I can speculate on that:

Quote Originally Posted by EAD
    ETOPS Configuration, Maintenance and Procedures (CMP)

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I can speculate on that:
    Thank you Gabriel!

But I was hoping for a bit more of a detailed answer. Such as anything pertaining to ferry flights vs revenue flights. The wording of the EAD appears to contradict itself and I'd like to know that it doesn't just leave a loophole to continue operating revenue ETOPS flights under dangerous conditions.