Thread: Grand Canyon helicopter crash.

Default Grand Canyon helicopter crash.

A Papillon Helicopters Eurocopter EC130 has crashed in the Grand Canyon killing three Britons with four, including the pilot surviving the crash... http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-43025793
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

RIP

I remember a number of years ago there were several helicopter (and fixed-wing?) accidents at the Grand Canyon within a short time period and they put a lot of procedures in place to improve safety. It sounds like they might have to look at it again - although I think most of those accidents were collisions, and the note in that report about "high winds hampering rescue efforts" makes one wonder if this one was weather-related.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

I thought that about the weather. Survivors were not removed from scene for something like 8 hours yet rescuers were airborne and overhead within 30 minutes but unable to get to the injured due to high winds. Some time ago fixed wing operations below the level of the lip of the canyon were banned due to winds and downdraughts. I have a horrible feeling that downdraughts could be a contributing factor here.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    I have a horrible feeling that downdraughts could be a contributing factor here.
    I have a horrible feeling it was one of those helicopter mechanical issues...(just because the do that sometimes too).
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.