Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jvdl - editing advice

Hello!

I have been having a tough time getting this photo past screening. I think it has the potential to be a good photo, despite it being a cloudy day, but I'm not very good at post-processing photos.

The rejections are re. contrast. I have tried another edit on the photo and I think there is now decent contrast between the plane and cloudy sky.

Thoughts? Can I try uploading again?
    Attached Files

Originally posted by jvdl View Post
    Hello!

I have been having a tough time getting this photo past screening. I think it has the potential to be a good photo, despite it being a cloudy day, but I'm not very good at post-processing photos.

The rejections are re. contrast. I have tried another edit on the photo and I think there is now decent contrast between the plane and cloudy sky.

I'm not from the JP Crew but I think the photo still lacks some contrast and also a bit dark (may some desagree with this point). I did a quick increase in the contrast and brightness (left side) and got this result but not sure if it will be acceptable for the site because of the light conditions from the photo.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 10.22.40.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	1022558

Best,

Vinicius Cruvinel

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
      I'm not from the JP Crew but I think the photo still lacks some contrast and also a bit dark (may some desagree with this point). I did a quick increase in the contrast and brightness (left side) and got this result but not sure if it will be acceptable for the site because of the light conditions from the photo.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13992[/ATTACH]

Best,

Vinicius Cruvinel
      Thanks. With grass that green, won't I get a "bad colour" rejection?

Comment

Tweaked the brightness and contrast a bit.
        Attached Files

Comment

Tweaked the brightness and contrast a bit.
          I did a quick edit here and got this result. Not sure if it will be acceptable because the light conditions and sky is a little blow out. But you can give a try!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ZU-VAR.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	746.6 KB
ID:	1022560

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
            I did a quick edit here and got this result. Not sure if it will be acceptable because the light conditions and sky is a little blow out. But you can give a try!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13995[/ATTACH]
            Picture is overprocessed now, so not acceptable.

Hello!

Hi

Don´t think that this is fixable as the sky is much brighter than the aircraft it self. Best keep this for your personal collection.

Have a nice day.
            Best Regards from Germany,
            Julian S.​

Comment

Thanks.

I had an alternative angle which was rejected, but with screener comments "Give it +50 contrast increase."

Attaching the before and after shots here. I am curious whether +50 contrast in Photoshop is the same as in Photoshop Elements? Does the picture with contrast increased look fine?
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.

I had an alternative angle which was rejected, but with screener comments "Give it +50 contrast increase."

Attaching the before and after shots here. I am curious whether +50 contrast in Photoshop is the same as in Photoshop Elements? Does the picture with contrast increased look fine?
                It looks better, yes. But i'm on my Smartphone so not 100% sure.
                Best Regards from Germany,
                Julian S.​

Comment

Originally posted by Julian S. View Post
                  It looks better, yes. But i'm on my Smartphone so not 100% sure.
                  Thank you. I'll try my luck with this one.

Comment

Thanks.

These are fine. I have accepted it into the DB.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                      These are fine. I have accepted it into the DB.
                      Thank you!

Comment

Good morning!

I had this photo of a Rooivalk rejected with the reason, "Vignetting not allowed": https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6430321

To my understanding, it means the corners are darker than the middle of the photo, but I just don't really see it. There is a bit of a gradient to the sky, but it appears that way before editing as well.

Is this something fixable, or did I do something in post-processing to vignet the photo?

I am also attaching another photo from an alternative angle. Will this one be more acceptable?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Good morning!

I had this photo of a Rooivalk rejected with the reason, "Vignetting not allowed": https://www.jetphotos.com/viewqueued_b.php?id=6430321

To my understanding, it means the corners are darker than the middle of the photo, but I just don't really see it. There is a bit of a gradient to the sky, but it appears that way before editing as well.
                          That is vignetting. If it were a gradient the top center would be dark as well. It is not, only the top corners - probably because you shot at f/4.

Is this something fixable
                          Possibly, with software, but better to avoid it in the first place.

or did I do something in post-processing to vignet the photo?
                          No, as mentioned, it's due to your lens settings.

I am also attaching another photo from an alternative angle. Will this one be more acceptable?
                          Still noticeable, but less so than the first image. Personally, I find the angle rather unappealing, so you might also want to try a different one if you have better.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                            Still noticeable, but less so than the first image. Personally, I find the angle rather unappealing, so you might also want to try a different one if you have better.
                            Thank you for the feedback.

I have one more angle (but similar to the previous) with good light. The other angles I got were all backlit as the pilot was not concerned by my antics to get good lighting.

May I upload this one (or the previous) as a hot photo? The registration 678 is used by several aircraft, but it's the first entry of this Rooivalk.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you for the feedback.

I have one more angle (but similar to the previous) with good light. The other angles I got were all backlit as the pilot was not concerned by my antics to get good lighting.

May I upload this one (or the previous) as a hot photo? The registration 678 is used by several aircraft, but it's the first entry of this Rooivalk.
                              Yes, can be uploaded as hot, but will need a tighter crop and there appears to be a dust spot just above the tail.

Comment

Working...
                              X