Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
    Hey, Nirvana:

What if you programmed your GPS to track actual speed vs distance on a takeoff roll and compared that to the needed speed versus diastance for pilots to check that they aren’t going to come up short and take out a fence, or something?

It could even give warnings if things looked bad.
    Hm. I know that this is not my first sentence here in this topic. Another one of my thoughts... at least if the both of us discuss, is it good that, oh let me be honest, it helped me a little bit since yesterday.

Is it good that airlines, and even if we call them low cost airlines, are SO VERY much younger than the both of us? If these are international airlines who operate the same a/c type as
    the on duty LH CEO?!

You talk about warnings inflight.

And I can remember an international airline which grew very fast (too fast), younger than me, and they went bankrupt in August 2017. And I don't really like to see European airlines go bankrupt!
    You can believe me, originally I'm a LTU man. Düsseldorf Intl., 1955-2008.

I only saw the signs early enough..

PS: The TriStars, what did I learn, in the air since 1973... Those were the years. Three decades before a man thought that Wizz could be an airline.
    LT-Lockheed TriStar at my Home Airport.

Today, we all know these abbreviations... B744, B744ER, B748, B748F. But a LT-TriStar is a LT-TriStar. A brilliant photo btw!
    Last edited by LH-B744; 2018-03-08, 05:50. Reason: For the future, LTU once was a quite good airline!
    The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
      Hm. I know that this is not my first sentence here in this topic. Another one of my thoughts... at least if the both of us discuss, is it good that, oh let me be honest, it helped me a little bit since yesterday.

Is it good that airlines, and even if we call them low cost airlines, are SO VERY much younger than the both of us? If these are international airlines who operate the same a/c type as
      the on duty LH CEO?!

You talk about warnings inflight.

And I can remember an international airline which grew very fast (too fast), younger than me, and they went bankrupt in August 2017. And I don't really like to see European airlines go bankrupt!
      You can believe me, originally I'm a LTU man. Düsseldorf Intl., 1955-2008.

I only saw the signs early enough..

PS: The TriStars, what did I learn, in the air since 1973... Those were the years. Three decades before a man thought that Wizz could be an airline.
      LT-Lockheed TriStar at my Home Airport.

Today, we all know these abbreviations... B744, B744ER, B748, B748F. But a LT-TriStar is a LT-TriStar. A brilliant photo btw!

Once again, does your post have anything to do with the topic?

Comment

AvHerald is reporting that all three a/c were parked on the apron for approx. six hours in "low temperatures and snow". Is there a SOP as to how long you can park an a/c in this kind of weather before flagging the probes? It seems to me that you would cover them if it's going to be there for more than a couple hours...

It still shouldn't lead to probes freezing on/after takeoff if the a/c has been deiced and has had time for the lower-voltage probe ground heat to take effect.

Unlike the An-148 that crashed outside Moscow last month, which—apparently—required the crew to turn on probe heat, the A320 probe heat is always on if at least one engine is running, either in AUTO or ON (MANUAL) mode.

However, in AUTO mode the probes are NOT heated on the ground with both engines off. They must be manually selected ON for this to happen. I think in cold weather the probes should be manually selected ON if the plane is going to be shut down on the ramp for an extended period.

If they neglected to do this and just rolled these planes down the runway five minutes after engine start, perhaps therein lies the problem.......

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
          ...perhaps therein lies the problem.......
          Therein lies the problem, but not_the scientific engineers who design these things to have snow crammed in them at 300 knots, and also designed the plane which needs to sit in cold weather for 6 hours and designed extensive operational checklists and procedures to assure you get the thing thawed out...

Ironingly, just yesterday, I rode a CRJ-200 that sat overnight in snow and cold...Of course, we did not achieve a takeoff within 5 minutes, there was some extensive deicing involved. I also watched the deice crew spend minutes with repeated blasts to the pitot/static/AOA vane areas on a plane to our side...but that's a CRJ and not a AirGreyhound.
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            Therein lies the problem, but not_the scientific engineers who design these things to have snow crammed in them at 300 knots, and also designed the plane which needs to sit in cold weather for 6 hours and designed extensive operational checklists and procedures to assure you get the thing thawed out...
            Well they also designed them with some low-tech hardware to cover the pitots with when they need to sit in cold precip for 6 hours. They were hot at engine shutdown and they can't become frozen if there's nothing inside to freeze.

Ironingly, just yesterday, I rode a CRJ-200 that sat overnight in snow and cold...Of course, we did not achieve a takeoff within 5 minutes, there was some extensive deicing involved. I also watched the deice crew spend minutes with repeated blasts to the pitot/static/AOA vane areas on a plane to our side...but that's a CRJ and not a AirGreyhound.
            I think the Greyhound factor might be a factor here.

Comment

Working...
            X