Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32

Thread: Editing Advice - YULplanespotting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default Editing Advice - YULplanespotting

    Hi, I'd like to know if any of these pictures would be accepted into the database, and if not, what I should change. Thanks in advance for all the help!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040300-1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	15742 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040428-1-2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	471.4 KB 
ID:	15743 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040619-1-3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	331.8 KB 
ID:	15744 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040632-1-2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	15745

  2. #2
    JetPhotos.Net Crew LX-A343's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Zurich Kloten - LSZH
    Posts
    13,545

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    Hi, I'd like to know if any of these pictures would be accepted into the database, and if not, what I should change. Thanks in advance for all the help!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040300-1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	298.7 KB 
ID:	15742 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040428-1-2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	471.4 KB 
ID:	15743 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040619-1-3.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	331.8 KB 
ID:	15744 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1040632-1-2.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	356.5 KB 
ID:	15745
    1: backlit
    2: Looks OK, at the verge of being backlit though
    3: OK
    4: Noise, weird contrast

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Hello again, would any of these pictures be accepted into the database? Thanks again for the help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050172-1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	837.3 KB 
ID:	17123
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050209-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	735.4 KB 
ID:	17122
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050183-1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	659.5 KB 
ID:	17124

  4. #4
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    Hello again, would any of these pictures be accepted into the database? Thanks again for the help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050172-1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	837.3 KB 
ID:	17123
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050209-1.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	735.4 KB 
ID:	17122
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050183-1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	659.5 KB 
ID:	17124
    Can't give acceptance chances on un-edited images but these do look terribly soft/blurry.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    Can't give acceptance chances on un-edited images but these do look terribly soft/blurry.
    Are they any better now?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050172-1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	17125 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050209-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	967.5 KB 
ID:	17126 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050183-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	927.1 KB 
ID:	17127

  6. #6
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    Are they any better now?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050172-1.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	17125 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050209-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	967.5 KB 
ID:	17126 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050183-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	927.1 KB 
ID:	17127
    As I said, since these are not the final images you will be submitting, it's pointless to comment on their chances of acceptance.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Hello again! I'm back with some more pictures, and would like to know if any of these would be accepted into the database/what improvements should be made. Thanks in advance for the help!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	17692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	696.3 KB 
ID:	17693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	684.7 KB 
ID:	17694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	17695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	685.1 KB 
ID:	17696

  8. #8
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    Hello again! I'm back with some more pictures, and would like to know if any of these would be accepted into the database/what improvements should be made. Thanks in advance for the help!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	663.9 KB 
ID:	17692Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	696.3 KB 
ID:	17693Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	684.7 KB 
ID:	17694Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	17695Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	685.1 KB 
ID:	17696
    These would all be rejected for soft, contrast, and overprocessed.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    These would all be rejected for soft, contrast, and overprocessed.
    Are these any better? Also, for future reference, how does one correct contrast issues on a picture?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	675.5 KB 
ID:	17700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	726.1 KB 
ID:	17701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	703.3 KB 
ID:	17702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	735.3 KB 
ID:	17703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	695.7 KB 
ID:	17705

  10. #10
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    Are these any better? Also, for future reference, how does one correct contrast issues on a picture?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	675.5 KB 
ID:	17700Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	726.1 KB 
ID:	17701Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	703.3 KB 
ID:	17702Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	735.3 KB 
ID:	17703Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	695.7 KB 
ID:	17705
    In this specific case, I would guess it's due to whatever you are doing in your editing, be it boosting the shadows, or playing with the curves. The weak contrast goes hand in hand with the overprocessing. Figure out which step in your process is causing it, eliminate that step, and you will have fixed two of the problems at the same time.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    In this specific case, I would guess it's due to whatever you are doing in your editing, be it boosting the shadows, or playing with the curves. The weak contrast goes hand in hand with the overprocessing. Figure out which step in your process is causing it, eliminate that step, and you will have fixed two of the problems at the same time.
    I've moved the shadows slider a lot closer to the pictures' original settings. Are there any improvements? Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	17709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	712.0 KB 
ID:	17710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	695.6 KB 
ID:	17711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	727.2 KB 
ID:	17712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	686.3 KB 
ID:	17713

  12. #12
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    I've moved the shadows slider a lot closer to the pictures' original settings. Are there any improvements? Thanks again for all the help, really appreciate it!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	661.3 KB 
ID:	17709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	712.0 KB 
ID:	17710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	695.6 KB 
ID:	17711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	727.2 KB 
ID:	17712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	686.3 KB 
ID:	17713
    Better, but instead of 'moving it a lot closer to the original settings' maybe better to not even use that effect (i.e. set it to zero). It's obviously what's causing the problems.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    Better, but instead of 'moving it a lot closer to the original settings' maybe better to not even use that effect (i.e. set it to zero). It's obviously what's causing the problems.
    I have now set the shadows slider to its default position (set to zero). Are these passable or are they still overprocessed?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	648.1 KB 
ID:	17732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	702.0 KB 
ID:	17733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	686.9 KB 
ID:	17734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	17735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	669.1 KB 
ID:	17736

  14. #14
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    I have now set the shadows slider to its default position (set to zero). Are these passable or are they still overprocessed?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	648.1 KB 
ID:	17732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	702.0 KB 
ID:	17733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	686.9 KB 
ID:	17734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	720.7 KB 
ID:	17735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	669.1 KB 
ID:	17736
    Still weak contrast and halos visible. Something else must be causing it. Try starting with the RAW file with all settings to zero, and then convert to jpeg. If you don't have the RAW file, you'll need to figure out if the halos are in the original JPEG. If they are, there will be no way to remove them.

  15. #15
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    Still weak contrast and halos visible. Something else must be causing it. Try starting with the RAW file with all settings to zero, and then convert to jpeg. If you don't have the RAW file, you'll need to figure out if the halos are in the original JPEG. If they are, there will be no way to remove them.
    Hello again, I've started from scratch and have attempted to avoid creating halos in the process; is this batch any better?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050925-1.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	638.7 KB 
ID:	17823Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050555-1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	693.6 KB 
ID:	17824Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050843-1.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	681.2 KB 
ID:	17825Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1050962-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	704.3 KB 
ID:	17826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060003-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	671.6 KB 
ID:	17827

  16. #16
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    Hello again, I've started from scratch and have attempted to avoid creating halos in the process; is this batch any better?
    No, halos are still there. You can contact me directly if you want to send me one of the RAW files to process to see if I can come up with an edit without halos.

  17. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Hello! I would like to know if any of these 2 pictures would be accepted into the database, and if not, what changes should be made (if any). Thanks in advance for the help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060911-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	26452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060825-1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	438.6 KB 
ID:	26453

  18. #18
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    Hello! I would like to know if any of these 2 pictures would be accepted into the database, and if not, what changes should be made (if any). Thanks in advance for the help!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060911-1.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	444.4 KB 
ID:	26452Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060825-1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	438.6 KB 
ID:	26453
    Both images are quite soft, and the first also has vignetting and dust spots.

  19. #19
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dlowwa View Post
    Both images are quite soft, and the first also has vignetting and dust spots.
    Are these any better? For the TS one, I managed to find a small dust spot towards the top, but otherwise, I can't see any others. If there are more, where are they on the picture? Thanks again!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060911-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	458.0 KB 
ID:	26454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060825-1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	467.8 KB 
ID:	26455

  20. #20
    JetPhotos.Net Crew
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    7,125

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YULplanespotting View Post
    Are these any better? For the TS one, I managed to find a small dust spot towards the top, but otherwise, I can't see any others. If there are more, where are they on the picture? Thanks again!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060911-1.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	458.0 KB 
ID:	26454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060825-1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	467.8 KB 
ID:	26455
    Both still quite soft (would probably also benefit from increased contrast as well). Vignetting and at least one dust spot above engine remain on TS.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •