Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How was the depth of field achieved on this shot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How was the depth of field achieved on this shot?

As someone who is still learning about the fundamentals of photography, I have a question about this awesome photo which made it to the front page today: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8884337

The photographer used a wide aperture of f/2.8 to allow for plenty of light, given that it was a night shot, I assume. However, how does one achieve such deep depth of field with such a wide aperture? The building, lights, and planes in the distance are still sharp and in focus. Does a slow shutter speed compensate for the aperture?

Originally posted by jvdl View Post
    As someone who is still learning about the fundamentals of photography, I have a question about this awesome photo which made it to the front page today: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8884337

The photographer used a wide aperture of f/2.8 to allow for plenty of light, given that it was a night shot, I assume. However, how does one achieve such deep depth of field with such a wide aperture? The building, lights, and planes in the distance are still sharp and in focus. Does a slow shutter speed compensate for the aperture?
    If focus is at or near infinity, and the main subject is far enough away, everything in the frame will either be within, or very near, the focal plane (pun not intended).

Shutter speed has no effect on depth of field (or lack thereof).

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
      If focus is at or near infinity, and the main subject is far enough away, everything in the frame will either be within, or very near, the focal plane (pun not intended).

Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense!

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post

In principle that's true but it isn't the only consideration. The other thing that has a huge effect on depth of field is focal length - f/2.8 at 120mm as in the case of that shot will give a greater depth of field than f/2.8 at 400mm.
        Seeing the world with a 3:2 aspect ratio...

My images on Flickr

Comment

As already explained, a very distant subject with an infinite focus telephoto lens does not affect the depth of field because everyone is on the same focal plane

Comment

As already explained by @dlowwa totally make sense.

Comment

Working...
            X