Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Merijn - Editing Advice

Hello,

My first prescreening request, could one of those make it (or with some changes?)?

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards,
    Merijn

Hi!

I'm not a JP screener but some points:

1. low contrast, soft and a bit low in frame
    2. low contrast, soft and a bit high in frame
    3. low contrast, soft and too much dead space in the right. Need to center correctly in the frame.
    4. low contrast, soft and too much dead space in the left. Need to center correctly in the frame.

You can see the guidelines here. https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ES-New-version

Also it's good to wait comments from the screeners/JP Crew members.

Hope this helps, if you have any other question just send here.

Best Regards,

Vinicius Cruvinel

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I'll wait the reply of a screener. However, so if I do read your thought well, it could be done by adjusting them?? (excluding the first 1, which I'm unfortunately not able to put higher in the frame).

Comment

Originally posted by Merijn View Post
        Hello,

Thank you for the reply. I'll wait the reply of a screener. However, so if I do read your thought well, it could be done by adjusting them?? (excluding the first 1, which I'm unfortunately not able to put higher in the frame).
        Yes, you need to do the post processing like add contrast, sharpness, etc. In the first one you can try to use 16:9 ratio do center the aircraft, but just an opinion (this first one also need CW rotation).

Best Regards,

Vinicius Cruvinel

Comment

Hi,
          Centering on the 1st one is ok, pic is balanced

All pics suffer from poor contrast. I suppose you didn't adjust anything. I suggest you take the time to read and understand the histogram and then you'll be able to improve those pics via the levels.

Kind Regards
          Alex

Comment

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the reaction. I can understand Vinicius regarding the 1st picture: I think the fence gives another impression. I did crop the picture slightly.

Regarding, the contrast, thanks for your link, it was really helpful!! I did know how the read the histogram regarding overexposure and underexposure, but not in function of the contrast. However, when changing the contrast, I felt the need to also adapt shadows and/or highlights. So, I do post the adjusted pictures, are they fine or maybe to less/much adjusted?

Many thanks in advance!

Regards,
            Merijn

Comment

Hello Alex,

Thank you for the reaction. I can understand Vinicius regarding the 1st picture: I think the fence gives another impression. I did crop the picture slightly.

Regarding, the contrast, thanks for your link, it was really helpful!! I did know how the read the histogram regarding overexposure and underexposure, but not in function of the contrast. However, when changing the contrast, I felt the need to also adapt shadows and/or highlights. So, I do post the adjusted pictures, are they fine or maybe to less/much adjusted?

Many thanks in advance!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14520[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14521[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14522[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14523[/ATTACH]

Regards,
              Merijn
              Hi Merijn!

The crops looks much better now, principal on number #3 and #4. But all pictures looks soft, you need to apply some sharpness in all of them.

About the shadows and hightlights: When you adjust too much the shadows/highlights in pictures with sky as background, you will produce halos around the aircraft (see the equalized image attached), and it's not allowed in JP.net. The photo will get a overprocessed rejection.

Click image for larger version

Name:	procimages.php.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	371.1 KB
ID:	1022986

The better way to understand this point is to read Brian's Processing "Tips and Tricks" that explain about halos and how to avoid them: Here is the link https://forums.jetphotos.com/showthr...ips-and-tricks

I also can explaing about this or help you to remove the halos from the photos, but I think Brian's topic will be more than necessary to understand.

If you have any other questions just post here.

Best Regards,

Vinicius Cruvinel

Comment

Oh yes, you did mention the softness, I'm sorry

I think I have room to adapt the highlights less. But just want to know: I'm a good a the contrast level? Just to know what standard to go for (as the tips & tricks are still only theoretical to me).

Comment

To add on to what everyone else has said, a couple of your photos appear to have CMOS spots which alone could get your photo rejected. You can look for them in your image editing program by equalizing the colors, which does the same thing as "check for dust" in the queued photo manager, and in GIMP you can correct it using the heal tool.

Name:	Merijn_EQ1.jpg
Size:	498.7 KB
ID:	1022987Click image for larger version

Name:	Merijn_EQ2.jpg
Size:	311.7 KB
ID:	1022988

Comment

Oh yes, you did mention the softness, I'm sorry

I think I have room to adapt the highlights less. But just want to know: I'm a good a the contrast level? Just to know what standard to go for (as the tips & tricks are still only theoretical to me).
                    Be very careful when change highlight/shadows and do not forget what I said about halos. About the Contrast level, I did a quick edit in contrast and sharpness in your first (original) image. The result and what I expect is in the image attached (but as I say...better always wait a comment from a screener). This one also has Halos, but I not able to remove than as I don't have the original one. The left side is the original that you sent and the right is the edit I did. I also balanced the histogram (whites, blacks)

My PS didn't got the EXIF from your file, did you use Canon or Nikon? To send you some tips about each camera too.

Also see the comments from guy691, very important points about dust spots.

Name:	AC-Test1 copy.jpg
Size:	779.7 KB
ID:	1022989

Best Regards,

Vinicius Cruvinel

Comment

Another hint: turn off the D-Lighting feature of your D3300. That should hopefully reduce the dull contrast and strong halos visible in your images.

Comment

This was the first photo without any adjustment, taken in Nikon.

Melde dich bei Facebook an, um dich mit deinen Freunden, deiner Familie und Personen, die du kennst, zu verbinden und Inhalte zu teilen.

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00003715973044
                          can't open it. Upload it somewhere else, as Facebook applies strong JPG compression
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...00003715973044
                            You know you attach photos to your post directly, right?

Comment

Hello,

Attach photos goes verry well It only didn't worked on my Phone, so I do send the original photo here.

Comment

Working...
                              X