No announcement yet.

Southwest Airlines Engine Failure, Passenger Near Sucked Out of the Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Southwest Airlines Engine Failure, Passenger Near Sucked Out of the Aircraft

A Southwest Airlines flight landed safely in Philadelphia Tuesday after the jet violently depressurized when a piece of an engine flew into and broke a window, according to passenger accounts and air traffic controllers.

One passenger's father-in-law, relaying information from his daughter, said the impact was so severe that a female passenger was partially sucked out of the plane when the window imploded.

“One passenger, a woman, was partially … was drawn out towards the out of the plane … was pulled back in by other passengers," he said in a phone interview with NBC10.

The Dallas-bound Boeing 737-700 — numbered flight 1380 — made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport around 11:20 a.m. Tuesday after taking off from LaGuardia Airport in New York City. There were 149 people onboard. A ground stop was put into effect at the airport as crews responded

A passenger died and seven others were injured after the engine of a Southwest Airlines jet blew open in mid-air — sending debris into the plane’s body and causing a window to burst.

Comment

Originally posted by B757300 View Post
      ...the impact was so severe that a female passenger was partially sucked out of the plane when the window imploded...
      Good Lord...is this not one amazing display of forcing the use of big, scary-sounding words with no real understanding of what they mean or how airplanes work?

As I heard someone else say, "Southwest aeroplanie engine goes boom"...At least THAT was accurate.
      Les rθgles de l'aviation de base dιcouragent de longues pιriodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

[***the picture out the window***]
        Check out the wing slats...seems they encountered some high-speed blades and guts too!
        Les rθgles de l'aviation de base dιcouragent de longues pιriodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

One person has died. They haven't said who, but most likely the person who was almost sucked out of the aircraft.

Comment

Being partially sucked through a window through which an airplane is decompressing at 30000 feet does not sound like a pleasant way to die.
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

One person has died. They haven't said who, but most likely the person who was almost sucked out of the aircraft.
              Pure speculation- one news source said, "There was blood everywhere" If your photo is of THE window, it looks quite clean.

Of course is sitting behind a person who gets sucked out a window that much better of a way to die?

Comment

I think that the inlet damage we are seeing is aerodynamic, after-the-fact damage. Judging by the location of the damaged window, I'm guessing it was an HP section bit that got thrown at it.

Comment

Is it only me who's not able to see this photo? If I'm not the only one, I at least assume what you tried to do, B753. There once was a way to show photos here in the forum without that you had to use a link.

Only when I used the "Reply with Quote" button, I saw that your #2 forum entry is not empty. I see two reasons why the photo is not shown.
                  1. You didn't use the correct method. If you ask me, your method seems rather complicated. Four times "img", where two times "img" should definitely suffice.
                  or
                  2. Something is wrong with my settings. Not really.

3. It is not really an img code. Leave the checkmark where it is.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Da_2f2hXUAAATES.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	212.8 KB
ID:	1027413

Aha. I'm not dreaming! I know that I showed one or two screenshots of me and Randazzo's LH-B744 simulator. That's the way it works again.
                  The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
                  The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
                  And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
                  This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                    Check out the wing slats...seems they encountered some high-speed blades and guts too!
                    Yes. Now that I also know what we're talking about. The threadstarter said, the jet came in smoothly, almost as normal. So, something happened inflight, with the result that I show in #9?

Flight Captain Chesley Sullenberger III is able to rescue 155 people without one single engine. But that photo of a 737-700 does not seem like one of my wet dreams either.

And 148 souls survived? That's good.

Comment

I was in a hurry while on the phone at work. They don't mind if we waste a little time online when on hold, so I was trying to get it done quickly.

Comment

This was the first passenger fatality Southwest has ever had, a sad event for sure, but a pretty remarkable record overall. (There was a ground fatality in a previous overrun at Midway.)

Comment

I was in a hurry while on the phone at work. They don't mind if we waste a little time online when on hold, so I was trying to get it done quickly.
                          Hey. I don't sit far away from DUS (01:35 am local), so I don't know what you'd say. Here, we say, Good Night.

You tried to add such a rather complicated maneuver with your telephone? Well, under these circumstances, it's almost perfect. I've never used this forum on a phone, don't know why.
                          Probably, they've changed something behind the img button, since I became a jp member. But, without a phone, it still works. Greetings - and Good Flight.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
                            This was the first passenger fatality Southwest has ever had, a sad event for sure, but a pretty remarkable record overall. (There was a ground fatality in a previous overrun at Midway.)
                            December 8th 2005, Midway in heavy snow conditions. I've found what you say.

And I second what you say. More than 12 years without one dead person in or beyond the a/c is a good record. I haven't chosen the words
                            "In memoriam"
                            in my signature for nothing, in March 2018. Germanwings once was an airline, with not such a good record.. I still feel something like a duty to visit the place where not only that airline ceased to exist. That rock wall.

So, 148 survivors is a very good result.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                              I think that the inlet damage we are seeing is aerodynamic, after-the-fact damage. Judging by the location of the damaged window, I'm guessing it was an HP section bit that got thrown at it.
                              I agree with the inlet damage part, but I can easily see this as just a cowling issue. It could easily get ripped off fly upward and smash against the fuselage as it travels down the aircraft.

Comment

Working...
                              X