Southwest Airlines Engine Failure, Passenger Near Sucked Out of the Aircraft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    In this case, according to the Captain's account, there was no warning. The windshield burst at once, so there was no time to initiate an earlier, preemptive emergency descent.
    On top of that, when they did initiate the emergency descent, they initially went down to only 24000 ft due to mountainous terrain.
    Report said the failure was preceded by cracks and window heat ECAM, although that could have been only moments before. Pilot immediately descended rapidly to MSA, turned away from the mountains and continued to 10000. Also squawked 7700 to let everyone know. Sounds pretty level-headed with your FO out the window taking the autopilot with him. This is what I call heroic.

Comment

• Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
      Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
      I doubt aviation will ever get to the point where there is not any room for improvement.
      What is the line that most of our old instructors told us? "You should learn something on every flight".
      But we do not want a computer to monitor our takeoff acceleration as a safety backup? Just asking
      Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
        But we do not want a computer to monitor our takeoff acceleration as a safety backup? Just asking
        Lick your finger and stick it out the window!

Comment

• Interim Report out:

Aviation Herald - News, Incidents and Accidents in Aviation

They executed the engine fire QRH checklist within a few minutes but both the rapid decompression and emergency descent checklists were overlooked. Speed remained at 280-300kts until reaching 17,000, which I think would lead controllers to think this was not a decompression emergency, hence the confusion on the CVR. Captain stated this was done out of caution due to airframe vibration. Eleven minutes elapsed before communicating with the cabin crew re: injuries.

Alls well that ends well, I guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
            Alls well that ends well, I guess.
            How goes the bike riding?
            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan View Post
              E
              Eleven minutes elapsed before communicating with the cabin crew re: injuries.
              How many minutes should it have taken?

Comment

• Originally posted by ATLcrew View Post
                How many minutes should it have taken?
                Since we know now that they didn’t have major structural problems, they could have informed the cabin crew after 47 seconds.

Comment

Working...
                X