Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Southwest Airlines Engine Failure, Passenger Near Sucked Out of the Aircraft

AVHerald comments say the fan was still intact, with one broken blade.

Listening to ATC shows how professional the pilots were. The controller was more spooked and mixed up the runways several times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKf7sfgSjjc

Quote Originally Posted by B757300 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel
    First fatal accident in an American jet airliner since...????
    February 12, 2009.
    Colgan Air Flight 3407
    I was asking for a Jet airliner accident.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    I was asking for a Jet airliner accident.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_S...arjet_60_crash

??
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet

The NTSB reporting that a single fan blade seperated at the root and displayed signs of metal fatigue. No mention of further damage to the other sections. Sort of seems to me like an inspection negligence thing, have to see how far that engine was between inspections.

The pilot called repeatedly for "brace". I suppose this is SOP for high-speed landings, or if there are controllabillity issues. They opted to land with flaps 5.

One of the male passengers tried to use himself as a plug to seal the broken window. Nice gesture....

Missing blade. The rest of the blades look surprisingly in good shape. Would that mean that the broken blade flew straight out radially not toucing any other blade?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2018-04-18T005733Z_241261531_RC11C97CFF70_RTRMADP_3_PENNSYLVANIA-AIRPLANE.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	62.7 KB 
ID:	15077

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Quote Originally Posted by James Bond View Post
    4 words guys, they need to hapen at the same time (it's an AND operator, not an OR):
    American AND Jet AND Airliner AND Fatal accident.

Colgan lacks Jet, this Learjet lacks airliner.

Do we need to go as far back as AA587? (AA A300 that lost its fin taking off from JFK and crashed in Queens, more than 16 years ago)

If you'll accept a "puddle jumper" it looks like that would be Comair 5191 in August 2006. The last "airliner" crash with fatalities I could find was American 587 in November 2001.

I say "crash" because there were airliner accidents with fatalities after AA 587 but they involved ground operations. A 737 where a maintenance worker got sucked into an engine, and a DC-9 where a tug operator got pinned between the tug and the aircraft.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Is that a hole in the fuselage under the "t" of South? And I believe that the broken window is hidden by the winglet or further back out of frame.

Name:	Accidente-avion-filadelfia-Southwest-1920-2.jpg 
Views:	94 
ID:	15078

Apparently the damaged window is not the one where these pictres of the engine were taken from but quite further back, even after the wing. Look at the picture of the whole plane in avherald. http://avherald.com/h?article=4b7725fb&opt=0

If that's the case, then the window was likely taken out by a "low energy" flying debris like a piece of cowling rather than any high-energy rotating part like a blade. I am going wild speculation mode here, but IF the reports of blood everywhere are correct, and since the picture of the broken window area shows no sign of blood, I will say that the dead people was hit by a high-energy fragment (perhaps a quite small one) that pierced the fuselage in a quite inconspicuous way, several rows ahead of the broken window /clean seat.
    Sadly, the latest news says the women pulled into the window is the one who died, and they were performing CPR on her immediately after she was pulled back into the plane. It sounds like she died from the trauma of being violently sucked into the window, not an impact. Additionally, the sequence of events provides some clues as to the damage because there were two reported explosions, the first, after which the oxygen masks dropped. I assume the window was cracked at this point and leaking air. Then it was followed by a second explosion (the window exploding out of the plane) when all hell broke loose.

Missing blade. The rest of the blades look surprisingly in good shape. Would that mean that the broken blade flew straight out radially not toucing any other blade?
    My guess is that the blade would deflect forward off of multiple blades multiple times and shred the cowling in the front before exiting out the front and then up or down below the wing. I am guessing the damage to the window was some part of the cowling or other large engine parts. As they detach they could easily get pulled toward the fuselage whereas a light spinning blade deflected all over the place would probably not make it that far over, and would likely have lost a ton of energy by the time it ends up flying out forward.

I suspect they might even find the containment worked? I am very sad about the passenger, and I wonder if a seat belt might have saved her. That is a seat I often like to sit in...

4 words guys, they need to hapen at the same time (it's an AND operator, not an OR):

Do we need to go as far back as AA587? (AA A300 that lost its fin taking off from JFK and crashed in Queens, more than 16 years ago)
    Wasn't there an AA flight that crashed when the pilots took off from the wrong runway and crashed ran they ran out of length?

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    Wasn't there an AA flight that crashed when the pilots took off from the wrong runway and crashed ran they ran out of length?
    Opps, not AA, but Comair.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comair_Flight_5191

Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    Thank you. So more than 12 years. That is a REMARKABLE safety record.

So the deceased person was the one sitting next to the shattered window who was partially sucked out despite the fact that she had the seatbelt on.

It will be interesting to understand what caused the death. I doubt very much that it was due to hypoxia or hypothermia.

Is that a hole in the fuselage under the "t" of South? And I believe that the broken window is hidden by the winglet or further back out of frame.

Name:	Accidente-avion-filadelfia-Southwest-1920-2.jpg 
Views:	94 
ID:	15078
    Answering my own question: no. In other pictures it can bee seen that there is no hole there and that this black thing is a part of cowling (or something like that in the engine) bent upwards.

I'd speculate it was either debris or possibly some physical injury from being partially sucked out of an aircraft doing a few hundred kts

Here's a much better picture showing the broken window (the winglet was blocking it in other photos) and, sadly, what looks like blood spray on the inside of the 4 windows behind it.

Name:	engine-explodes-southwest-airlines-flight.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	15081

Quote Originally Posted by B757300 View Post
    Here's a much better picture showing the broken window (the winglet was blocking it in other photos) and, sadly, what looks like blood spray on the inside of the 4 windows behind it.

Name:	engine-explodes-southwest-airlines-flight.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	15081
    I think it is on the outside because also the blue paint seems to be stained.

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    ***he pilot called repeatedly for "brace". I suppose this is SOP for high-speed landings, or if there are controllabillity issues. They opted to land with flaps 5.***
    You don't suppose this is standard procedure for landings when stuff might be broken?

Who knows if tires are ok, brakes, spoilers, some angle-brace strut, or even a left main shimmy damper.

And, God forbid it might be a fundamentally good idea for a compromised landing.

I thought you routinely recited emergency checklists, or is that an Airbus-only thing?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Apologies Gabriel, you're absolutely right. I've just gone back and reviewed all prior accidents before 2018 and I'm thinking it's likely Comair Flight 5191
    AirDisaster.com Forum Member 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
    the most dangerous part of a flight is not the take off or landing anymore, its when a flight crew member goes to the toilet