Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shaner243 - editing advice

Hi,

I would like your guys opinion and thoughts on these couple pictures.

Thanks in advance,
    Shane

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1045558Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	1045559

Hi Shaner243, both pictures are obstructed by the fence. 1st picture is also backlit and grainy. 2nd picture is grainy has color issues thus both photos would be rejected by fellow screeners.

Comment

Originally posted by shaner243 View Post
      Hi,

Thanks in advance,
      Shane

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15089[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15090[/ATTACH]
      It might be a good idea to review the basic photographic requirements for this site. If you did so, you would see that unfortunately your images are nowhere near the quality required, not to mention the massive obstruction & poor framing. Simple test: can you find any other images on JP from, let's say the last 10 years, that have fences blocking the aircraft like yours? You might want to do a little research like that before thinking about getting images accepted here.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
        Shane

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15089[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15090[/ATTACH]
        Also, uploading images with multiple accounts is a quick way to get banned, so I suggest you not open any more, and wait until we delete the extra ones you have already opened.

Comment

What should, I do when the plane is obstructed by a fence? Not upload it at all?

The second pic was taken by an iPhone

Comment

Like, am I supposed to stand on the picnic table to make sure, that the fence is not in the way? I would, say that the first pic is right in the middle of the pic

Give me a break

Comment

What should, I do when the plane is obstructed by a fence? Not upload it at all?

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                It might be a good idea to review the basic photographic requirements for this site. If you did so, you would see that unfortunately your images are nowhere near the quality required, not to mention the massive obstruction & poor framing. Simple test: can you find any other images on JP from, let's say the last 10 years, that have fences blocking the aircraft like yours? You might want to do a little research like that before thinking about getting images accepted here.
                Why should it matter, if the fence is in the way? It shouldn't impede the quality

Comment

Just to let you guys know, that no matter where the airplane spotters go in Calgary, we are all surrounded by a fence.

Comment

Hi,
                    as you already been advised, try to avoid fences when shooting. And climbing picnic table is not the best way
                    Almost every bigger airport has some spots you may use, i.e. spotting hills, lens holes in the fence etc.
                    You are a beginner, so try also to listen more experienced photographers, use forums and other sites like spotters guides for specific airports where you may find all information about spots and movements. I know, you should do this by yourself, but here you go:
                    Calgary International is Canada’s third busiest airport in terms of aircraft movements and even as recently as 2014 it was also ranked third busiest for passenger […]

And try to avoid using your phone for pics you would like to upload to JP.
                    If you need any advise or answer to your question, this thread is the best to start.
                    Hope to see your pics accepted to the JP soon!

Comment

Like, am I supposed to stand on the picnic table to make sure, that the fence is not in the way? I would, say that the first pic is right in the middle of the pic

Give me a break
                      Getting your first couple of photos on JP is a very frustrating process. Like you, I too was extremely frustrated with the screeners (although I didn't rant about it).

Looking back, I can't believe how bad my photos were. Like you, I couldn't see the faults and often said the following:
                      * So what if there's a bit of heat haze?
                      * So what if there's a bit of blur around the tail?
                      * So what if the grass is a bit tall? It only obstructs a tiny bit of the plane!
                      * Why does being backlit matter? I can see the plane perfectly!

All in all, the strict requirements of JP have immensely improved my photography, and I am nowhere near a "good" photographer, yet.

With that being said, you'd probably want to invest in a DSLR at some point and not keep shooting with an iPhone; although I've seen some iPhone pictures that would probably be acceptable for JP. I also have a picture taken with my S8+ that was accepted for JP.

With your DSLR, get yourself a good book on the basics of photography. I can recommend "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Comment

precisely. And don't use an iPhone... it's a phone not a camera.

And the fence does matter and it does impede the quality. Even without the fence these shots are badly lit and poor quality.

Comment

Originally posted by glidescopeAviation View Post
                          precisely. And don't use an iPhone... it's a phone not a camera.

And the fence does matter and it does impede the quality. Even without the fence these shots are badly lit and poor quality.
                          Amen to that!!
                          My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                          X