Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: The best place you think in South Africa?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    1

    Default The best place you think in South Africa?

    thank you

  2. #2
    Junior Member jvdl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jaca teb View Post
    thank you
    The best place to do what, exactly? Plane spotting? Holiday? To immigrate?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    21

    Default

    As far away from anyone as you possibly can, unless you want to get mugged or murdered (or both).

  4. #4
    Super Moderator brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,574

    Default

    Yes. A lady doctor friend of mine who lived in Durban had this checklist for going shopping.....
    1. Shopping list.
    2. Purse.
    3. Handbag.
    4. Car keys.
    5. Ballistic vest.
    6. Gun !!
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  5. #5
    Member ATLcrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    Yes. A lady doctor friend of mine who lived in Durban had this checklist for going shopping.....
    1. Shopping list.
    2. Purse.
    3. Handbag.
    4. Car keys.
    5. Ballistic vest.
    6. Gun !!
    Rumor has it Soweto is lovely this time of year, but I haven't been, so I can't say for sure.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Pretoria, South Africa
    Posts
    1

    Default

    I am a South African and have lived here all my life. I do not carry a ballistic vest or a gun or anything like that while out my house and I have never been mugged or shot at. I have taken photos of planes for a number of years in this country and not once (touch wood) have I ever had a problem with crime or anything else.

    If you are looking for the best place in the country to take photos of aeroplanes, then your best bet is OR Tambo Airport (FAOR/JNB). The volume of traffic is not too bad and the variety of airlines is also quite good with lots of carriers that you will not see anywhere else in the world, such as Air Botswana, LAM Mozambique, Kulula, Mango and so on. There are also some decent spots to take photos of the aircraft arriving, as can be seen in my profile on JP. Departure photos are also possible but are a lot more difficult to get for various reasons.

    To ensure safety while taking photos, it is advisable to go there in a group with one or two other friends. If need be, you can stand there by yourself but do not stray too far from your car, and never go to the airport without a car as then you will be a sitting duck.

    As a tourist, South Africa is a beautiful country and is worth a visit. The crime is not as bad as everyone says it is but always remain vigilant.

  7. #7
    Junior Member jvdl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timbrandt View Post
    I am a South African and have lived here all my life. I do not carry a ballistic vest or a gun or anything like that while out my house and I have never been mugged or shot at.
    I agree. As a fellow South African, the misinformation in this thread is astounding.

  8. #8
    Super Moderator brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,574

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jvdl View Post
    I agree. As a fellow South African, the misinformation in this thread is astounding.
    Well, my comment about the doctor came directly from her. She used to take the precautions that I described because she had previously been robbed at knifepoint twice and had been the victim of an attempted carjacking at traffic lights on three separate occasions.
    Yes, South Africa is a beautiful country. It's just a shame about some of its people.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  9. #9
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    Well, my comment about the doctor came directly from her. She used to take the precautions that I described because she had previously been robbed at knifepoint twice and had been the victim of an attempted carjacking at traffic lights on three separate occasions.
    Yes, South Africa is a beautiful country. It's just a shame about some of its people.
    Did she really REALY wear a ballistic vest when going to the supermarket?

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  10. #10
    Junior Member jvdl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianw999 View Post
    Well, my comment about the doctor came directly from her. She used to take the precautions that I described because she had previously been robbed at knifepoint twice and had been the victim of an attempted carjacking at traffic lights on three separate occasions.
    Yes, South Africa is a beautiful country. It's just a shame about some of its people.
    Was she exaggerating? I have lived in South Africa all my life, been to all it's biggest cities, even some dodgy areas, and I have NEVER seen or heard of a civilian wearing a bulletproof vest. She would be drawing so much attention to herself, and getting some weird looks!

  11. #11
    Super Moderator brianw999's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Tunbridge Wells, Kent. UK.
    Posts
    11,574

    Default

    Yes. She showed me pictures of the vest. It was worn covertly and would just about stop a subsonic 9mm round. I did comment that it was more like a stab vest and that a bullet would likely penetrate it but would probably have sufficient stopping power to stop any deep penetration. She didn't just wear it when shopping, she wore it every time she went out. This lady was in her fifties/sixties, she was a general practitioner doctor who was known to carry opiate drugs in her car as part of her medical pack. She left South Africa and came to Britain because of the levels of violence in her part of South Africa. She showed me news clippings appertaining to the incidents that she was involved in and they were all really quite scary.
    Last edited by brianw999; 04-25-2018 at 06:00 PM.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !


  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jvdl View Post
    I agree. As a fellow South African, the misinformation in this thread is astounding.
    You should know that anecdotal evidence doesn't carry a lot of weight. One person claiming he/she never had any issues means very little.
    You don't have to spend much time on Google to realize what an absolute shithole (some parts) of SA are: Johannesburg, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth are just some of the cities which comes to mind.
    Tourist recommendations is to live in gated communities and don't go out at night.

    SA has a murder rate of about 35/100.000 inhabitants, which is roughly 10 times as high as the US, or 30 times as high as Sweden. Murder rates are interesting because they are one of the most accurate statistics, simply because they tend to actually get reported.

    There is even a wiki page dedicated specifically to crime in SA.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

  13. #13
    Junior Member jvdl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nirwanda View Post
    You should know that anecdotal evidence doesn't carry a lot of weight. One person claiming he/she never had any issues means very little.
    You don't have to spend much time on Google to realize what an absolute shithole (some parts) of SA are: Johannesburg, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth are just some of the cities which comes to mind.
    Tourist recommendations is to live in gated communities and don't go out at night.

    SA has a murder rate of about 35/100.000 inhabitants, which is roughly 10 times as high as the US, or 30 times as high as Sweden. Murder rates are interesting because they are one of the most accurate statistics, simply because they tend to actually get reported.

    There is even a wiki page dedicated specifically to crime in SA.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa
    Of course there is crime in SA, and yes, we have a high rate of crime. But to imply that wearing ballistic vests to go to the shops is normal, is misinformation. To say "as far away from everyone else to avoid getting mugged" is misinformation. A large percentage of violent crimes are present in the townships, and not the suburbs.

  14. #14
    JetPhotos.Net Crew Stephan Rossouw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Unless your spotting at 21L, then I’ll protect you. At least my house is safe when you guys are around.

  15. #15
    JetPhotos.Net Crew Stephan Rossouw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timbrandt View Post
    I am a South African and have lived here all my life. I do not carry a ballistic vest or a gun or anything like that while out my house and I have never been mugged or shot at. I have taken photos of planes for a number of years in this country and not once (touch wood) have I ever had a problem with crime or anything else.

    If you are looking for the best place in the country to take photos of aeroplanes, then your best bet is OR Tambo Airport (FAOR/JNB). The volume of traffic is not too bad and the variety of airlines is also quite good with lots of carriers that you will not see anywhere else in the world, such as Air Botswana, LAM Mozambique, Kulula, Mango and so on. There are also some decent spots to take photos of the aircraft arriving, as can be seen in my profile on JP. Departure photos are also possible but are a lot more difficult to get for various reasons.

    To ensure safety while taking photos, it is advisable to go there in a group with one or two other friends. If need be, you can stand there by yourself but do not stray too far from your car, and never go to the airport without a car as then you will be a sitting duck.

    As a tourist, South Africa is a beautiful country and is worth a visit. The crime is not as bad as everyone says it is but always remain vigilant.
    Unless your spotting at 21L, then I’ll protect you. At least my house is safe when you guys are around.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    http://www.darmancolorectal.com/hemorrhoid
    Posts
    1

    Default

    Thank you!
    Thank you. This is very useful.

  17. #17
    Senior Member LH-B744's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    1 hr away from EDDL
    Posts
    1,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jvdl View Post
    I agree. As a fellow South African, the misinformation in this thread is astounding.
    Good that you mention it. Not only in this thread, but imho in the jetphotos forum as a whole, some people try to start a discussion. And which is the best way to start a discussion,
    either with a question
    or
    with an assumption, and then you hope, that somebody knows it better than you, or that someone contradicts you.

    Discussion, that's why we are here, aren't we. The pope is able to utter things that don't necessarily have to be contradicted. But there's only 1 pope on this planet, so..

    Btw, do you know how I sit here and I wonder why until today nobody answered my last "Skytrax" forum entry?! I only wrote it because I thought, hey, somebody should contradict this. I was definitely not thinking, hey, I know the newest bull by the pope, this is the ultimate truth.

    Back on topic. South Africa? I like the Ocean, so Cape Town is one of my recommendations. I've never been there, but you can assume that I know one or two (or three) destinations from the LH summer schedule 2018.. And I use these destinations with Randazzo's LH-B744 simulator. On the top of Table Mountain, in dusk, with all the lights..?

    I don't know if FACT (Cape Town International) is open all night, for scenic flights. Big city lights. But if South Africa, that would be the beginning of my to do list.

    PS: The number is, LH #576 .
    LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
    A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.

    Aviation enthusiast since more than 30 years. Almost a decade here on this platform.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •