Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bluebee View Post
    Hi there,

to get a reference, I did process one of those above and another one through the Oly viewer, same size but with different settings. Is there any significiant change or improvement in compression? I was focussed on compression - light, brightness, colours etc. were of secondary importance for me but I moved the bars slightly. As I wrote, this program is horrible in handling and is very coarse stepped in the tuning bars. Tell me, what you think about this compression result. I guess they will be seen at least underexposed + oversaturrated + undersharpened + overcontrasted - that would be a hint to move the OV-bars more than I did.

Greets Andreas
    Ok, I did a quick edit of the original you sent me, and the good (bad) news is it's mostly down to your (lack of) editing skills

While the original image is relatively soft, the resolution is high enough that this can easily be hidden at 1200 pixels with a good edit. You can compare the edit I have attached to your newer edit, which does look better.

Steps:

RAW conversion to Jpeg (adjusting exposure)
    Crop
    Sharpening/contrast
    Resizing to 1200
    Final sharpening
    Save

Click image for larger version

Name:	P6111106_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	671.7 KB
ID:	1028631

Any questions, let me know.

Comment

Thanks for your support and your time, that's quite a helpful guidance. So I can generally trust on this Olympus software for further attempts. PS-trial is to be done later to get more results for my process control.

There's a question, that bothers me for a while now:
      Am I right that most members here use TFT or flatscreen-monitors or are here still tubes in use? I'm not really sure if I judge my pics wrong due to monitor or probably because I'm still not really used to wear glasses for computer purposes. Sometimes a combination of such factors in combination is underrated. I have no reference concerning that issue.

Greets Andreas

Comment

Originally posted by bluebee View Post
        Thanks for your support and your time, that's quite a helpful guidance. So I can generally trust on this Olympus software for further attempts. PS-trial is to be done later to get more results for my process control.

There's a question, that bothers me for a while now:
        Am I right that most members here use TFT or flatscreen-monitors or are here still tubes in use? I'm not really sure if I judge my pics wrong due to monitor or probably because I'm still not really used to wear glasses for computer purposes. Sometimes a combination of such factors in combination is underrated. I have no reference concerning that issue.

Greets Andreas
        By 'tube' you mean CRT? Not since ~ 2003-2004 for me.

As for editing software, I'd recommend looking for an older version of PS. I still use CS5, which I think is around 8 years old now. More than enough for editing photos.

Comment

You can get the very latest Adobe Bridge combined with Adobe Photoshop CC for a monthly payment of, in my case GB£9.95. For that you get the latest software with regular updates.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Good morning Brian and LOWWA,

I tried my PS yesterday - the current (updated to CC18 ) PS is not my world, I should try one of the the recommended versions. Perhaps that will fit better for me.

But I did check my LR version and found an embarrassing detail:
            the export settings still had been on default, that means compression quality @60% and sharpness @standard (~80%) ...
            I had several updates and relaunches in the past so I did not remind those settings. I was surprised to get better quality visible for me and significiant smaller file-sizes at once...

So I'm finally glad to have asked for experienced support here. Hopefully from now it'll turn out better

Regards
            Andreas

Comment

Working...
            X