C-130 crashes onto highway in Savannah; no survivors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C-130 crashes onto highway in Savannah; no survivors

Emergency crews are responding to a military plane crash in Savannah, Georgia. Follow here for the latest.

Uncorroborated reports say no survivors have been found. RIP.

https://www.liveleak.com/view?t=s80q7_1525295864
    Originally posted by flashcrash View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/us/live-news/mil...nah/index.html

Uncorroborated reports say no survivors have been found. RIP.

Comment

My first thought when I read the news reports that it crashed on a highway was "this was a crash landing gone bad".
      Then, my second thought when I saw the first pictures from the crash scene was "this was not a crash landing gone bad".
      Video confirms my second thought. (of the two had to be right).

Now.... do I see a stall-spin-crash type accident?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Well, many in the press seem to be wanting to blame this on the plane's age.

But the plane was just out of maintenance so I wonder if maybe a repair/adjustment was done wrong?

My first thought looking at the video was control reversal... the pilot pulled back on the yoke and the nose went down instead of up. But looking again it does seem like the left wing drops which would point more toward a stall.
        Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
          Well, many in the press seem to be wanting to blame this on the plane's age.

But the plane was just out of maintenance so I wonder if maybe a repair/adjustment was done wrong?

My first thought looking at the video was control reversal... the pilot pulled back on the yoke and the nose went down instead of up. But looking again it does seem like the left wing drops which would point more toward a stall.
          Tape or goober over the pitot = UAS for which the memory regurgitation procedure SEEMS to be, "pull up relentlessly".
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            Tape or goober over the static port = UAS for which the memory regurgitation procedure SEEMS to be, "pull up relentlessly".
            Minorly corrected.

I'm not sure if that makes sense in this case.

Tape over the pitot should result in airspeed indicating zero. One would hope that a pilot of any competence, watching the airspeed indicator to know when V-speeds are reached, would notice the instrument is apparently dead.

Covering the static port will (if the cover seals perfectly) trap air at the static system at the local pressure where & when the cover is put on. That's likely to be very different from the pressure the plane experiences at 10K, 20K, 30K feet, causing much weirdness. But that plane was at a very low altitude... it's likely if the static system were blocked, the trapped pressure inside it would be pretty close to the "correct" pressure for the circumstances shown in the video.

Unless the problem started at a much higher altitude...
            Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Comment

Originally posted by elaw View Post
              Minorly corrected.
              Concur with SOME of your comments.

However, this seemed to occur very shortly after takeoff- where I doubt the static correction OF the ASI indication thing should not be too excessive. (You said this too)

Maintenance in general and meteor encounters should definitely receive some focus.
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Originally posted by 3WE View Post
                meteor encounters should definitely receive some focus.
                Do you want speculation?

One or 2 left engines failed, plane flew below Vmc for that condition an lost control in yaw followed by roll followed by pitch and finally stalled (when it was not recoverable anyway).
                Look at this video:

In the beginning of the video the plane comes into frame from the top, flying away from the camera and in what looks like a crab in a strong crosswind from the right... except that the trees, flags and electrical wires are not moving at all. If no wind, that means either sustained left rudder input or asymmetric thrust (less thrust in the left side) not corrected with rudder. Then the plane starts what seems like a quite flat turn to the left, then the left wing drops, nose goes down, then the AoA seems to increase a good bunch and the roll rate increases.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C130.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1027794

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Working...
                X