Nikon LENS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nikon LENS

Hi all, I'm planning on buying the Nikon D3400 this weekend. The product comes with a 18-55mm lens, so I will then buy another lens. I don't know if I should get the 55-200 or the 55-300.
    My question is: are both lenses the same quality? Is the only difference the zoom? Because if they are the exact same in terms of quality, performance etc... then I will definitely get the -300. It's only like $30 AUD more!
    Oh and also... stupid question but: the 55-300 will work on the D3400 right?
    Sorry for my poor knowledge in DSLRs!

You should definitly have at least one lense with 300mm for spotting. Go with the 55-300. The D3400 is a DX camera (APS-C Sensor) and the 55-300 is a DX lense so there are no problems.

Comment

Go for the 55-300 it is a decent lens. Stepped down to F8 it works quite well, but you need to have an editing software with Vignetting correction, as it needs a bit of this at the long end of the zoom range.

That shot was taken with the 55-300 on an ancient D300S.

G-VYGL. Airbus A330-243. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Comment

Originally posted by seahawk View Post
        Go for the 55-300 it is a decent lens. Stepped down to F8 it works quite well, but you need to have an editing software with Vignetting correction, as it needs a bit of this at the long end of the zoom range.

That shot was taken with the 55-300 on an ancient D300S.

https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/8767316
        Ok. Also one last thing....... Is it true that the 55-300 lens is slow at Auto Focus? Or is it only slow after 200mm? For example, if I zoomed in at 120mm on the 55-300 lens and the 55-200 lens, would both lenses take the same time to focus?

Comment

Yes, it is a bit slow to focus, but I do not think the 55-200 is noticeably faster. For spotting it is easy to solve, you simply focus on something about the same distance away as the planes, Then it will catch the planes nearly instantly. Every consumer lens struggles a bit when it has to focus from something a few meters away to something hundreds of meters away.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Aviation Photos View Post
            Hi all, I'm planning on buying the Nikon D3400 this weekend. The product comes with a 18-55mm lens, so I will then buy another lens. I don't know if I should get the 55-200 or the 55-300.
            My question is: are both lenses the same quality? Is the only difference the zoom? Because if they are the exact same in terms of quality, performance etc... then I will definitely get the -300. It's only like $30 AUD more!
            Oh and also... stupid question but: the 55-300 will work on the D3400 right?
            Sorry for my poor knowledge in DSLRs!
            I'd look to get the AF-P 70-300 VR over both of those and it's in a very similar price point.

Comment

Nikon D3100 Nikkor DX 55-300

PH-CKD. Boeing 747-406ERF. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Greetings

Comment

the 55-300 is a slow lens if compared with the AF-P 70-300 for example or the 18-140 which is fast. If you have plenty of time to focus then this is a good and less expensive lens. But if you want to focus very quick and keep the focus if using for example the back-button technique in Continuous Autofocus, it may cause some frustration.

It is slow to focus if you are at 55 and then go to 300mm and pretend the autofocus to be locked in less than a second. this won't happen. You need to focus gradually as you increase the focal length, which in spotting may result in missing some images.

Comment

I am using the nikkor AF-s 55-300 with D3300. It is nice for spotting and the focus is reasonibly fast, however, as mention before, vignetting is present and focus is not perfect when close to 300mm, so I try to keep below lets say 220mm. Of course editing with sofware will correct vignetting and sharpness.

Comment

Working...
                  X