About Air France.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Air France.

I just wonder why this rather important European airline is not mentioned here with an own topic, in contrast to my favorite airline...

So many Frenchmen don't like the English language, they're almost famous for that fact. Thus, AF is not such a big topic here. In the year 2018, imho only 1 Frenchman has shown, on German TV, that the English language also exists in France. My contemporary.
    Monsieur Le Président Emmanuel Macron.

Another Frenchman, Jean-Marc Janaillac, now has retired from his position due to retirement. Almost exactly 1 week after his 65th birthday. Until yesterday, he was the CEO of Air France. So, I'd say, congratulations for the retirement. I know many people which still have alot to do during retirement. And I don't only have in mind one Austrian manager (*22.03.1947)..

The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
    The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
    And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
    This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Air France, founding member of the 747 club in 1970, with an AF-B741. In the air since 1933. And as we all know, they left the 747 club in January 2016, when the last AF-B744 left the sky. And that was not a happy month. I'd had wished that they stay in the club until the golden jubilee.
    Who if not the founding members should celebrate this 747 jubilee.

What do they fly today. Exactly as my favorite airline not a single 737. They left the 737 club in 2007, and unlike many other jp forum members, I can remember how these birds looked like.

AF-B735 on my home airport, 2006.

Sometimes I feel a little bit old among all these very young jp forum members. How old is the youngest jp forum member? 16? A rough guess.
    I'd recommend the jetphotos forum for humans who are 16, or older. As we here discuss not only the bright side of aviation, see AF#447, see Los Rodeos, see LaMia, or see SouthWest flight #1380.

16? So, born in 2002? Sometimes I really feel like a father. They start to celebrate the way to their High School Diploma (dt.: Vor-Abitur). In France, they celebrate 'bacca', or 'le bac'.
    And, surprise surprise, I'm still young enough so that I know what I did at the age of 16.. !

Comment

A very very experienced airline. I only know one or two places in aviation who are older than Air France.

1. My home airport. Open to the public since 1927, yes, here we indeed celebrated 90 years of aviation last year!

2. Our Dutch neighbors. KLM celebrates more than 90 years in aviation, not this year...

3. But in France, they also are in the air since more than 90 years. Le Bourget 2019 (SIAE, du 17 au 23 juin) .

Much much older than Heathrow. You wouldn't guess it, but. In GB, intercontinental airlines don't have such a big tradition. Only since 1974 (!).

So, who'll be the next Air France CEO? 50 is a good age, when you're LH CEO since two years. And I don't get money for my entries here! I really like him and his decisions. Wanne Eickel!
      ---
      LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
      A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.

Comment

Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
        Much much older than Heathrow. You wouldn't guess it, but. In GB, intercontinental airlines don't have such a big tradition. Only since 1974 (
        Say again ?

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
          Say again ?
          Good morning Hotel Delta. I hoped that someone would slow me down. But is it such a wrong assumption..

Air France - in the air since 1933.
          cp to
          British Airways - in the air since April 1st 1974 with that name.

Is that a lie? I don't think so. And also Le Bourget - open to the public since 1919, so since almost 100 years (!) is older than EGLL.

I don't wanna say that Heathrow is the oldest of all airports in GB. Ah. Farnborough Airfield. Sorry. But I still feel the infraction of a jetphotos rule in my head..

Probably this is the reason why I since then don't quite remember all English airfields.

Je ne regrette rien!
          ---
          LH also has a intercontinental history, the Hamburg - Düsseldorf - Shannon - NYC route, open since June 1st, 1955.
          A/C type: Lockheed Super Constellation.

Comment

The origins of British Airways lie in Imperial Airways which started operations in 1924. Over the years they progressed through British Overseas Airways Corporation (BOAC), incorporating British European Airways (BEA) and British Caledonian Airways to become British Airways (BA). That’s 104 years of uninterrupted aviation history. Lufthansa originated in 1926 but suffered an unfortunate little hiccup between 1939 - 1945.
            Last edited by brianw999; 2018-05-05, 08:53.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
            X