Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 45

Thread: AP: Cubana Crashes on Takeoff From Havana

  1. #1
    Senior Member B757300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CLL
    Posts
    1,344

    Default AP: Cubana Crashes on Takeoff From Havana

    HAVANA (AP) — Cuban media say a Boeing 737 operated by state airline Cubana has crashed on takeoff from Jose Marti International Airport in Havana with 104 passengers on board. There was no immediate word on casualties.

    https://apnews.com/917ca2ff1c834c1088c1cd93f3946900

  2. #2
    JetPhotos.Net Crew meneses24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San José, Costa Rica
    Posts
    577

    Default

    Very sad news on the island. Seems to have been one of this

    https://www.jetphotos.com/airline/Ea...(Global%20Air)


    Seems that only 3 passengers survived

  3. #3
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    It seems to be this 737-200:
    XA-UHZ
    https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/keyword/XA-UHZ

    AvHerald says it is an Global Aerolineas Damojh airplane on behalf of Cubana de Aviacion performing flight CU-972 / DMJ-972

    I have no idea what is the relationship between Cubana, Global Aerolineas Damojh, Easy Sky and Global Air.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  4. #4
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,365

    Default

    TOPMS woulda helped?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    TOPMS woulda helped?
    It looks line not. The plane crashed hundreds of feet to the side of the RWY, it doesn't look like they run out of runway, unless the plane run out of runway, took off, and then did a 180.

    http://avherald.com/h?article=4b8bfb2d&opt=0

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	damojh_b735_xa-umq_havana_180518_map.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	93.5 KB 
ID:	15905

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  6. #6
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    It looks line not. The plane crashed hundreds of feet to the side of the RWY, it doesn't look like they run out of runway, unless the plane run out of runway, took off, and then did a 180.

    http://avherald.com/h?article=4b8bfb2d&opt=0
    I wonder if we will hear an intermittent warning sound on the CVR that can only mean one of two things and is probably not the cabin altitude warning...

  7. #7
    Member orangehuggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    382

    Default

    A quick search did not provide a precedent on type with this result although Indian 491, LAPA 3142, Lion 386, and Indian VT-EAL are kinda-sorta similar
    moving quickly in air

  8. #8
    Member orangehuggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    382

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by orangehuggy View Post
    A quick search did not provide a precedent on type with this result although Indian 113, LAPA 3142, Lion 386, and Indian VT-EAL are kinda-sorta similar
    Indian 491 not Indian 113, sorry
    moving quickly in air

  9. #9
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    Hey guys, what the F are you talking about?
    Take off configuration warning???
    Similar to LAPA??? Similar in what regard other that it was a 737 200 that crashed on take-off?
    Let me remind you that the Concord also crashed on take-off, so maybe this was similar to the Concord crash? Or AA 191???

    Any reason to believe that this was a flapless take-off or anything similar?????

    If the AvHerald location (see picture in my previous post) is anywhere nearly correct, that is almost impossible.
    The plane crashed some 1500 ft to the SIDE of the runway!!!!

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  10. #10
    Member orangehuggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    382

    Default

    I was not saying a flapless takeoff happened, just found some 732s that crashed on initial takeoff (not climb) and not due to obviously impertinent causes (eg snow/ice) that's all, just for some references.
    moving quickly in air

  11. #11
    Senior Member 3WE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    4,365

    Default

    Speculation:

    1. Failure of Engine 2 + inadequate management thereof causing right turn and stall, crash, burn.

    Or

    2. Control failure causing extreme right turn, crash, burn.

    Or

    3. On board explosive device.

    Or

    4. Meteorite clips right wing causing uncontrolled right turn and crash (Possibly a subset of 2).
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    3. On board explosive device.
    Not unless they found a passenger door embedded into the ground.

  13. #13
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    Speculation:

    1. Failure of Engine 2 + inadequate management thereof causing right turn and stall, crash, burn.
    NY Times reporting that this was a wet lease to Cubana and the Mexican crew may have been a bit soggy (got "lost in the air" on a previous flight)...

  14. #14
    Senior Member TeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    though they are notoriously unreliable, 1 alleged eyewitness said the plane "burst into flames" prior to the crash.

    1 black box recovered.

    i'm guessing that not much truth will come out of whatever investigation is done. communist, state-owned airline.....

  15. #15
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TeeVee View Post
    though they are notoriously unreliable, 1 alleged eyewitness said the plane "burst into flames" prior to the crash.

    1 black box recovered.

    i'm guessing that not much truth will come out of whatever investigation is done. communist, state-owned airline.....
    Actually the operator was a Mexican airline on behalf of Cubana. Mexico sent investigators and I hope that the NTSB and Boeing will be allowed to participate to, being this a Boeing airplane.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  16. #16
    Senior Member TeeVee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    MIA
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Actually the operator was a Mexican airline on behalf of Cubana. Mexico sent investigators and I hope that the NTSB and Boeing will be allowed to participate to, being this a Boeing airplane.
    yes, i know. however, operated UNDER cubana. the state therefore has a compelling interest to protect its reputation...or so it will think.

  17. #17
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,129

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    189

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    There is a huge debate for a couple days now on AVHerald comments. Originally viewed as a fake due to the shift in the timestamp, but explained by a power outage caused by the crash. Looks like a legit CCTV video to me. The likes they would have in Cuba.

  19. #19
    Senior Member Gabriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Posts
    6,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Schwartz View Post
    There is a huge debate for a couple days now on AVHerald comments. Originally viewed as a fake due to the shift in the timestamp, but explained by a power outage caused by the crash. Looks like a legit CCTV video to me. The likes they would have in Cuba.
    How can you even have a 737 flying backwards? In what looks to a pretty horizontal situation (in trajectory and wings bank) but tail first? Even if you had full forward thrust in one engine and the other one had a reverse deployment while at full thrust, I don't think that this would happen. An excess in yaw rate and sideslip would make the plane quickly roll and fall before it is pointing backwards.

    --- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

  20. #20
    Senior Member Evan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,663

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    How can you even have a 737 flying backwards? In what looks to a pretty horizontal situation (in trajectory and wings bank) but tail first? Even if you had full forward thrust in one engine and the other one had a reverse deployment while at full thrust, I don't think that this would happen. An excess in yaw rate and sideslip would make the plane quickly roll and fall before it is pointing backwards.
    The plane is seen at the very edge of the frame and these CCTV camera are often using low quality aspheric wide angle lenses that produced optical anomalies at their periphery. It might be possible that the combination of the steep turn away from the camera and some lens distotion are creating the illusion that it is flying backward when it is simply coming no closer. That's all I can come up with.

    Certainly looks like an (accelerated?) stall though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •