Nick Aviation - Editing Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Aviation - Editing Advice

Hi screeners, staff and photographers. Could you please pre-screen these two photos? Regards, Nick...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Star Alliance.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	1045563Click image for larger version

Name:	Scoot 787.jpg
Size:	310.7 KB
ID:	1045564

Originally posted by Nick Aviation Photos View Post
    Hi screeners, staff and photographers. Could you please pre-screen these two photos? Regards, Nick...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15278[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]15279[/ATTACH]
    Hi Nick,

IMHO:

#1 oversharpened and compressed
    #2 is soft (see the tail and right engine)

Better wait some comments from the screeners as well.

Best,

Vinicius

Comment

Originally posted by vcruvinel View Post
      Hi Nick,

IMHO:

#1 oversharpened and compressed
      #2 is soft (see the tail and right engine)

Better wait some comments from the screeners as well.

Best,

Vinicius
      ... and both too dark.
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Rejection

Hi all, had these two photos rejected for the same reason: "JPG compression artifacts". Check it out...
        JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

However, I DID edit these two photos in full resolution (18MP). I only reduced the pixels AFTER my editing (1200x900). HELP

Comment

Hi all, had these two photos rejected for the same reason: "JPG compression artifacts". Check it out...

However, I DID edit these two photos in full resolution (18MP). I only reduced the pixels AFTER my editing (1200x900). HELP
          Hi Nick. Wait for word from an official screener, but the compression artifacts are very visible.

You may have used the "nearest neighbour" resizing algorithm in your photo editor. Try switching to "bilinear" to see if that improves the results and make sure to save to the highest quality possible.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jvdl View Post
            Hi Nick. Wait for word from an official screener, but the compression artifacts are very visible.

You may have used the "nearest neighbour" resizing algorithm in your photo editor. Try switching to "bilinear" to see if that improves the results and make sure to save to the highest quality possible.
            I use Lightroom for iOS (iPad). I always save my photos to maximum available. I've always used this and I've had photos accepted on Jetphotos using this editor. So maybe the problem isn't the editor? Will wait for further replies from screeners... Thanks for your reply though!

Comment

I use Lightroom for iOS (iPad). I always save my photos to maximum available. I've always used this and I've had photos accepted on Jetphotos using this editor. So maybe the problem isn't the editor? Will wait for further replies from screeners... Thanks for your reply though!
              Let's see.. you were told they would be rejected for compression, and yet you still submitted them? Disregarding advice from the crew usually results in us disregarding any requests for such advice in the future, just so you know.

Comment

Originally posted by dlowwa View Post
                Let's see.. you were told they would be rejected for compression, and yet you still submitted them? Disregarding advice from the crew usually results in us disregarding any requests for such advice in the future, just so you know.
                Ok first of all, I was told only ONE of them was compressed. I couldn't do anything about that, so I disregarded it, which is by the way the only thing I disregarded. Here are all the things that I've been told for these two pictures...

-Compression, oversharpen and too dark for the first picture.
                -Soft and dark for the second one.

After that advice, I went back into my editor and changed all of this except the compression because I can't do anything about that, as explained in the previous post where I explain the pixel stuff (see above). So as a conclusion, I changed 4 things out of 5. I don't call this "disregarding advice from the crew"! I don't want to start any argument or anything... I'm just showing my point of view... I do try my best to edit my photos and I do appreciate you guys giving us advice before we submit our photos to the queue...
                Kind regards.

Comment

Nick Aviation - Editing Advice

Hi everyone, could you please pre-screen this photo? Thank you!

Name:	IMG_8130.JPG
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	1028082

Comment

Hi everyone, could you please pre-screen this photo? Thank you!
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]15906[/ATTACH]
                    It is compressed, you can see the sky has a blotchy/noisy appearance.

Comment

Originally posted by pdeboer View Post
                      It is compressed, you can see the sky has a blotchy/noisy appearance.
                      Ok... Due to sooooo many of my photos being compressed, I'm starting to think that the problem isn't me, but the editor itself, or even worse, my camera!!
                      I shoot in 18MP, edit my photos in full size, save my photos in full size, put my photos in dropbox in full size (I use Lightroom for iOS so I do that to transfer my photos to my computer), and THEN resize the image to 1200 x 900 prior to uploading to the queue.
                      Here is the ORIGINAL PHOTO, in full size, not edited, not resized, no nothing... The following attachment is the original shot... Does it have compression at this point? Thanks in advance!

Name:	DSC04707.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	1028090

Comment

Ok... Due to sooooo many of my photos being compressed, I'm starting to think that the problem isn't me, but the editor itself, or even worse, my camera!!
                        I shoot in 18MP, edit my photos in full size, save my photos in full size, put my photos in dropbox in full size (I use Lightroom for iOS so I do that to transfer my photos to my computer), and THEN resize the image to 1200 x 900 prior to uploading to the queue.
                        Here is the ORIGINAL PHOTO, in full size, not edited, not resized, no nothing... The following attachment is the original shot... Does it have compression at this point? Thanks in advance!
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]15914[/ATTACH]
                        1. the final step (resize to 1200x900) is the most likely point where the compression is happening. The first version you posted is only 197k, which is indicative of it not being saved at maximum quality
                        2. the original is quite noisy already, so that could be contributing to it

Comment

Working...
                        X