Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: More interesting ineractions between automation and humans for safety of trasnport

Quote Originally Posted by 3WE View Post
    Um, no the title of this thread is not as black and white as your mind (yet again) makes it.

It is on the interaction of automation and fundamentals.
    Yes. While using automation. Or is that still too black and white for you?

Madam Uber driver was supposed to watch the road ahead and brake. Hui Theiu Lo was supposed to monitor airspeed...
    Indeed. Reread my post #6, where I say the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Pst, Evan. It was you who said "3WE wants to believe that the SFO Asiana crash was the result of too much baffling technology".
    3WE is just explaining that that's not the case, that he believes that the Asiana crash was the result of too poor airmanship in general. And, for whatever is worth, I agree. No "and what is it doing now" can bit a "click click, clack clack".
    Read my post #3. Do you disagree with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Read my post #3. Do you disagree with that?
    Depends on how you define "all these systems".

And it is my impression (and I can be wrong) that pilot training make a lot of focus with procedures and when do what and what no to do when. But not so much in the why.
    With that kind of training, you fundamental error mistake becomes more a procedural mistake.

So a pilot may be "well trained" by those standards but not be "well trained" in the sense you used it.

And YET, the pilot could have observed the engines at idle, the airspeed decaying, the pitch going up, not understand what the heck is going on, and performed the click-click-clack-clack maneuver and save the day.
    As Mr Magenta said, you never ask what is it doing now. You take control, make it do what you want it to do, and then ask why was it doing that.
    Of course, for that you first need to realize that it is not doing what you wanted it to do.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Indeed. Reread my post #6, where I say the same thing.
    Sometimes we do say similar things; however you want more training to regurgitate that cryptic acronym Otto pilot modes turn off the speed control.

Given that guys are forgetting that relentless pull ups are part of many stall procedures and forgetting that airspeed should be monitored on short final-and given that it's kinda universal stuff and therefore time efficient to teach/remind folks...maybe...just maybe interject a little of that into the acronym barfing exercises...
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

hmm, not all of the mentioned innovations are such a great idea as I see it...

Quote Originally Posted by NikiMn View Post
    hmm, not all of the mentioned innovations are such a great idea as I see it...
    Wow...a smokin' hot avatar and great summarization skills. At you married?
    Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

I don't think bots are allowed to get married... yet.
    Be alert! America needs more lerts.

Eric Law

Quote Originally Posted by elaw View Post
    I don't think bots are allowed to get married... yet.
    The forum is functioning on autopilette?

The driver involved in the UBER crash was WATCHING TV at the time:

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-44574290

Concentration when using automation that requires monitoring is problematic enough with trained airline pilots. It's NOT going to work with everyday drivers.

These things have to be banned until the automation can be trusted without human monitoring.

That means not only proven reliability to detect and react, but also FAA levels of redundancy, i.e. multiple CPUS and 'carvionics', multiple sensors and fail-operational capability.

That's not going to happen tomorrow...