Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CardCollector2014 - Editing Help

Hi all:

I am brand new and trying to learn about this fascinating hobby and especially unsure about photo editing. Below, I am posting a photo I took some time back. I am unaware that I am unlikely to ever get this photo up to snuff for JP's upload guidelines, but I thought it to at least be good enough for some editing practice until I can get better pictures.

The first image is the raw photo, unedited except for some cropping

Click image for larger version

Name:	United_A320-200.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	1045649

The second image is some minor editing I tried on the above photo. I would greatly appreciate feedback as to whether this minor editing did indeed improve the photo, and what other editing might be helpful. I am open to any and all feedback, positive and negative, as I am just trying to learn how to best do this.

Name:	United_A320-200_edited.jpg
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	1045650

Thanks so much!

Originally posted by CardCollector2014 View Post
    Hi all:

I am brand new and trying to learn about this fascinating hobby and especially unsure about photo editing. Below, I am posting a photo I took some time back. I am unaware that I am unlikely to ever get this photo up to snuff for JP's upload guidelines, but I thought it to at least be good enough for some editing practice until I can get better pictures.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16508[/ATTACH]

The second image is some minor editing I tried on the above photo. I would greatly appreciate feedback as to whether this minor editing did indeed improve the photo, and what other editing might be helpful. I am open to any and all feedback, positive and negative, as I am just trying to learn how to best do this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16509[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much!
    Hi!

First of all, welcome to JP.net. I`m a user like you, but it will be a pleasure to help.

As you already know about the guidelines, let's talk about the photo itself.

The first point is this kind of crop ratio is not usual and most important: not acceptable in JP.net (or any other aviation website). The photo also has a low quality so there is not much you can do in editing. Do you have the original RAW file to post here?

Just waiting your reply and we will start to discuss about editing tools, workflows, photo quality, photo issues and many other things...this hobby for sure is fascinating and will be really nice to help your to make your photos acceptable for here.

Cheers and Welcome!

Vinicius

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply! It is actually cropped out of the below photo. Like I said, I am well aware that I am not going to get an acceptable image from this photo, but it will be awhile before I get a chance to actually go spotting, so I would like to use my time to learn until then. Not a great picture by any means, but I thought it would be good enough to at least get in some basic editing practice

Name:	Photo Feb 11, 2 52 04 PM.jpg
Size:	747.7 KB
ID:	1028599

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply! It is actually cropped out of the below photo. Like I said, I am well aware that I am not going to get an acceptable image from this photo, but it will be awhile before I get a chance to actually go spotting, so I would like to use my time to learn until then. Not a great picture by any means, but I thought it would be good enough to at least get in some basic editing practice
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]16510[/ATTACH]
        Hi!

As the photo has been took in a long distance and also by the window it`s very difficult to edit even for practice (because of many factors one of them is the dirty from the window for example) You will not get good results. Where are you from? Maybe I already visited or some member/crew has visited/live and can help you in good spotting points!

Cheers!

Vinicius

Comment

I'm currently in Southern Illinois, but will be moving soon due to work. Once I get settled in there, I will try to get going with more spotting

Comment

Hi all:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16508[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16509[/ATTACH]

Thanks so much!
            Image is well below the minimum size requirement for here. I appreciate that you are interested in learning how to edit your images properly, but honestly it would be a waste of time with this one. Try to start with an image where the subject (aircraft) fills at least half the frame, then you might actually have the chance to see what effect your editing is having. Trying to edit something at such a low resolution (and low quality frankly) is pretty much pointless, as it will be hard to discern any real changes. I'd recommend starting with something that is at least 1500-2000 pixels across (after cropping), and if you have any hope of getting an image accepted, then closer to 3000 pix (or higher) would be better.

Comment

Working...
            X