Are carry-on bags a safety issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
    People at great don't pay attention to briefings. A better procedure would be to announce that you start the descent and that the lockers will be locked for approach and landing, and when you are passing 10000 announce that the lockers are now locked and will be unlocked once the plane is parked in the stand. Even if it doesn't work great in the beginning (some people don't pay too much attention to PAs either), with time it will become routine and everybody will know the chore.

So should they spend the money and give up the weight for the overhead bin locks or for the magical TOPMS system that a bunch of you so desire?

Comment

Isn’t there safety equipment in a few of the overhead lockers ? What happens there ? Separate control/electrical circuits ? What could go wrong ?

Comment

People at great don't pay attention to briefings. A better procedure would be to announce that you start the descent and that the lockers will be locked for approach and landing, and when you are passing 10000 announce that the lockers are now locked and will be unlocked once the plane is parked in the stand. Even if it doesn't work great in the beginning (some people don't pay too much attention to PAs either), with time it will become routine and everybody will know the chore.
        But evacs often happen on take-off as well. Honestly, I don't think people are going to hang around trying to open a locker that won't open while in a panic to get out of there.

Originally posted by HalcyonDays
        Isn’t there safety equipment in a few of the overhead lockers ? What happens there ? Separate control/electrical circuits ? What could go wrong ?
        As I said, you would have to exempt those.

Originally posted by BoeingBobby
        So should they spend the money and give up the weight for the overhead bin locks or for the magical TOPMS system that a bunch of you so desire?
        Nah, they should wait until AFTER some preventable tragic consequence occurs and then make it a top priority. You know how the system works ; )

Comment

BTW - a locking solenoid, like the one on your car door, could be sourced by the major airframers for less then $10 apiece. Compartment doors would have to be redesigned and replaced. Wiring and logic added, and controls. Altogether not such an expensive proposition for a $70M+ aircraft, even as a retrofit. Certification wouldn't be too difficult, as this isn't a mission-critical thing, nor does it pose the circuitry threat that a power-hungry addition, like IFES would. When's the last time your car door locks burst into flames?

But hey, if you don't consider people dragging their bags down the chutes to be a problem, then forget it (and no more complaining about it here), because this is probably the ONLY way to stop that.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
            But evacs often happen on take-off as well. Honestly, I don't think people are going to hang around trying to open a locker that won't open while in a panic to get out of there.

As I said, you would have to exempt those.

Nah, they should wait until AFTER some preventable tragic consequence occurs and then make it a top priority. You know how the system works ; )

So let us look at a typical 737. Seating between 140 – 175 more or less depending on the airline. So to make the math a little bit easier, let’s say 150. How many overhead bins? 75 ish? Let’s say 50 again to make it easy. So you have 50 electric locking mechanisms, the wiring, circuit protection and some means to override the system. Now the big $$! The STC to have them installed. I like ATL’s idea much better. Get rid of the overhead bins. Make everyone check their big stuff, (airline not allowed to charge for reasonable baggage). Everyone’s carry on must fit under the seat in front of them. And you know what? People are going to do the same shit with the stuff under the seats in an emergency. You can’t fix stupid humans, look who they voted in as President!

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingBobby View Post
              Both. TOPMS is more priority IMHO.

By the way, TOPMS weights as much as a few lines of code. All the hardware is already there.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

When are you going to figure out that we internet forum pontificators have much wonderful advice that you need to adopt yesterday...

ALL OF IT!
                Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Under the seat in front. Hmmm, that location rings a bell. Oh yes, that’s it, it’s where my feet go.
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

So let us look at a typical 737. Seating between 140 – 175 more or less depending on the airline. So to make the math a little bit easier, let’s say 150. How many overhead bins? 75 ish? Let’s say 50 again to make it easy. So you have 50 electric locking mechanisms, the wiring, circuit protection and some means to override the system. Now the big $$! The STC to have them installed. I like ATL’s idea much better. Get rid of the overhead bins. Make everyone check their big stuff, (airline not allowed to charge for reasonable baggage). Everyone’s carry on must fit under the seat in front of them. And you know what? People are going to do the same shit with the stuff under the seats in an emergency. You can’t fix stupid humans, look who they voted in as President!
                    A lot of people (myself included) travel without checked baggage to avoid the clusterf*ck known as baggage handling and the tedious ass-scratching wait for their bags to (hopefully) show up. I don't think we should punish passengers en masse for the infractions of a few idiots. But I don't hate the idea either. This is how the fatcats in the BBJ's travel, with all that extra sense of space in leiu of overhead compartments. So great, let's do that! All we have to do is either convince the airlines to give up a treasured stream of revenue or convince passengers to pay more for checking that once-free little bag... in a race-to-the-bottom economy.

Oh, and we have to redesign the cabin to reposition those overhead lights and little air vents and FA call buttons and seat-belt-securely-fastened lights. And the wiring. Lets say 50 to make it easy. And then the STC to have it all installed...

BB, if you're going to mod the cabin, these things will be incurred anyway. Why not incur them while preserving the amenity of overheads rather than taking them away?

Comment

Oh, and we have to redesign the cabin to reposition those overhead lights and little air vents and FA call buttons and seat-belt-securely-fastened lights. And the wiring. Lets say 50 to make it easy. And then the STC to have it all installed...
                      Aren't we forgetting another little thing somehow important that goes up there? Man I can't remember what it was, but it had an O and a 2.

BB, if you're going to mod the cabin, these things will be incurred anyway. Why not incur them while preserving the amenity of overheads rather than taking them away?
                      That's a point. For existing airplanes, removing the bins would be much more expensive than adding a locking system. For new airplanes, though, not putting the bins would be much cheaper than leaving them with or without locking systems (and much lighter too).

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                      --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Aren't we forgetting another little thing somehow important that goes up there? Man I can't remember what it was, but it had an O and a 2.
                        That's the best part. You could charge extra for the portable ones. Make a lot of money on those decompression flights.

The bins aren't going away. So if anyone has a better idea, I'd like to hear it.

Comment

As Evan says, the bins aren’t going anywhere. Inconsiderate assholes are always going to risk their and other people’s lives. I don’t have any figures to refer to but I would think that there have been a few Aircraft evacuations. So, add a line into the instructions given regarding evacuation....... “Any person found outside the aircraft after an evacuation in possession of cabin baggage will be arrested and charged with placing an aircraft and its passengers at risk.” Now, that is a serious charge that as far as I know carries heavy penalties and is on the statutes of International Aviation around the world.
                          When I board an aircraft I have my passsport and boarding card in the top pocket of my shirt, my wallet is in a covert body belt under the shirt and my iPad is put in the seat pocket. The bag that they are carried in goes up in the locker and that stays there until we get to the destination gate apart from if I need to access personal hygiene items during the flight. Job done. I have NEVER found a need to put anything under the seat in front.
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

***TOPMS***
                            Cowboy improvisation.

Question- would this make it into the Jetphoto database?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cowboy improvisation.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	1028649
                            Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

So if anyone has a better idea, I'd like to hear it.
                              Maybe train FA's in some psycology...stuff like yelling in a calm firm tone, "EVACUATE NOW, DO NOT TAKE PERSONAL BELONGINGS, DO NOT OPEN OVERHEAD BINS CALMLY MOVE TO THE EXITS..."

Comment

That's the best part. You could charge extra for the portable ones. Make a lot of money on those decompression flights.

The bins aren't going away. So if anyone has a better idea, I'd like to hear it.

Take the train.

Comment

Working...
                                X