Editing Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Rodeback View Post
    Would the result be considered the correct exposure?
    Without seeing the actual photo, there is no way we can tell you that.
    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

How is this unlevel?

This photo was just rejected for having an unlevel horizon.
      JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Yes the aircraft is slanted in the photo because the ramp there is on an incline, but using the horizon tool one of the vertical lines goes strait through a taxiway edge light and follows it perfectly.
      Help on the contrast issue is also appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
      Michael.

Comment

This photo was just rejected for having an unlevel horizon.
        JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Yes the aircraft is slanted in the photo because the ramp there is on an incline, but using the horizon tool one of the vertical lines goes strait through a taxiway edge light and follows it perfectly.
        Help on the contrast issue is also appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
        Michael.
        Needs CCW rotation. Light is very flat, contrast probably not fixable.

Comment

Ok. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Just how does one remove vignetting?

I have several photos that have problems with vignetting. I read the photo upload guidelines and it says that reducing the aperture usually does the trick or it can be removed in editing software. However, I have several photos that I would like to have posted if at all possible. I use Photoshop Elements 9.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Motab with Kristen Chenoweth 763.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	692.4 KB
ID:	1032478
            This one also has halos which were introduced by something I did that I can fix.

Many thanks in advance,
            Michael

Comment

I have several photos that have problems with vignetting. I read the photo upload guidelines and it says that reducing the aperture usually does the trick or it can be removed in editing software. However, I have several photos that I would like to have posted if at all possible. I use Photoshop Elements 9.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21238[/ATTACH]
              This one also has halos which were introduced by something I did that I can fix.

Many thanks in advance,
              Michael
              Vignetting can indeed be lessened by stopping down the aperture (somewhere around f/8-9 will usually do the trick), and is preferable to trying to fix the problem after the fact with software. If the corrections are not handled correctly when editing, the results could be as bad as (or worse than) the initial problem.

And yes, the image of the AS has very strong editing halos.

Comment

Do you know how to do fix the vignetting problem? If not that's alright. I did google it once and the example photo on the only article I found didn't look like a high quality photo.

Comment

Do you know how to do fix the vignetting problem?
                  I assume you mean with software, given I already mentioned the best way in my previous reply? If so, I don't use Elements, but such a tool is usually found wherever other lens correction tools (chromatic aberration, purple fringing, etc..) are found. If converting from RAW, there should be two stages where vignetting correction is possible; when importing the raw file, and then when editing the jpeg/tiff/etc.. As I also mentioned previously, be careful not to go overboard with the correction, as too much vignetting removal will also result in a rejection.

Comment

Alright. Thank you much for the help.

Comment

Halos?

I have several photos that look good to me, but when I equalize to check for dust I see what look like halos around the aircraft. They are quite light in the photoshop equalization but in the queue they really stand out.

Name:	The failed attempt at Aeromexico 097.jpg
Size:	487.2 KB
ID:	1032839Click image for larger version

Name:	The failed attempt at Aeromexico 097.jpg
Size:	961.3 KB
ID:	1032840
                      If these are halos I really don't understand how they got there. D-lighting was off as it always has been since I discovered it is the indirect cause of a once frequent bad post-processing rejection, the Shadows/Highlights tool was not used, and the halos are much wider than the sharpening radius.

Comment

I have several photos that look good to me, but when I equalize to check for dust I see what look like halos around the aircraft. They are quite light in the photoshop equalization but in the queue they really stand out.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]21690[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]21691[/ATTACH]
                        If these are halos I really don't understand how they got there. D-lighting was off as it always has been since I discovered it is the indirect cause of a once frequent bad post-processing rejection, the Shadows/Highlights tool was not used, and the halos are much wider than the sharpening radius.
                        Some other setting in your processing is causing it (Clarity perhaps), although I wouldn't say they're strong enough to necessarily cause a rejection.

Comment

Gotcha. Thanks once again for the help.

Comment

Would this cause a Vignetting rejection?

I uploaded this photo a while back. While it was in the queue I ran through the tools used to check the photo and the top left corner was discolored. I then deleted it from the queue. But then I realized that it's most likely just part of a steam cloud sneaking into the photo. Geneva Steel is a little ways north of Provo airport and it always has a steam cloud coming of the top. As I recall it was very big and billowy that day and I mentioned it to my Dad when we were driving in its shadow. When I checked Google maps the angle works and it could be a steam cloud. So I'm wondering if that would still cause a rejection.

Name:	KPVU 179.jpg
Size:	884.8 KB
ID:	1033075
                            When equalized in photoshop you can hardly see it but it really stands out if equalized in the queue.

Many thanks.
                            Michael

Comment

I uploaded this photo a while back. While it was in the queue I ran through the tools used to check the photo and the top left corner was discolored. I then deleted it from the queue. But then I realized that it's most likely just part of a steam cloud sneaking into the photo. Geneva Steel is a little ways north of Provo airport and it always has a steam cloud coming of the top. As I recall it was very big and billowy that day and I mentioned it to my Dad when we were driving in its shadow. When I checked Google maps the angle works and it could be a steam cloud. So I'm wondering if that would still cause a rejection.
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]21972[/ATTACH]
                              When equalized in photoshop you can hardly see it but it really stands out if equalized in the queue.

Many thanks.
                              Michael
                              Steam clouds look pretty much different, in this case the vignette is the more notorious reason

Comment

Two Questions For You

I just had this photo rejected today.

I remember selecting night shot for sure and I believe I selected airport overview but I'm not entirely sure. If there are other categories that should be selected I would love to know which ones. With the cropping rejection, dimensions are 1280x1024. I remember photos I've previously uploaded similar to that ratio being fine as far as that rejection. If the size ratio needs to be changed would it be fine if it was off center to get the tower fully in the frame depending on the crop?

Now for question #2
                                The attached photo has one thing I'm really worried about. If you look at the right winglet it looks blurred in a bit of an odd way (I call it ghosting) when the rest of the aircraft is sharp. Would this cause a rejection or would it be alright for Jetphotos?Click image for larger version

Name:	Joel night shots 027.jpg
Size:	576.9 KB
ID:	1035180

Any help is appreciated,
                                Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X